Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi Code Protection

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Apr 5, 2018 3:12 PM Last Post By: Robert Kondner Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Robert Kondner

Delphi Code Protection
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 5, 2018 9:50 AM
Hi,

Today I just noticed the IDE Open Button now functions as a Close button. I just found out this is part of a Delphi Code Protection scheme.

I have been a Delphi user since Delphi 1. I recently became unhappy with EMB political comments. So yesterday I said NO to buying an upgrade. Today I notice this Copy Protection scheme firing. Unbelievable.

I would actually like to buy an subscription upgrade but I won't help finance a political opponent.

All I can say now is "Not My Compiler".

Bob Kondner
John David

Re: Delphi Code Protection
  Posted: Apr 5, 2018 1:17 PM   in response to: Robert Kondner in response to: Robert Kondner
On 05/04/2018 17:50, Robert Kondner wrote:
Hi,

Today I just noticed the IDE Open Button now functions as a Close button. I just found out this is part of a Delphi Code Protection scheme.

I have been a Delphi user since Delphi 1. I recently became unhappy with EMB political comments. So yesterday I said NO to buying an upgrade. Today I notice this Copy Protection scheme firing. Unbelievable.

I would actually like to buy an subscription upgrade but I won't help finance a political opponent.

Bob Kondner

I don't understand your post but if your old Delphi program is still
installed on your machine then it should continue to be used as before.
It should not change in way by not buying a subscription upgrade.

All it happens is that you don't get any more upgrades; That's all.

EMB have extended the deadline to end April for people to upgrade their
old apps but apart from that I don't think there are any other major
changes.
Robert Kondner

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 2:26 PM   in response to: John David in response to: John David
John David wrote:
On 05/04/2018 17:50, Robert Kondner wrote:
Hi,

Bob Kondner

I don't understand your post but if your old Delphi program is still
installed on your machine then it should continue to be used as before.
It should not change in way by not buying a subscription upgrade.

All it happens is that you don't get any more upgrades; That's all.

EMB have extended the deadline to end April for people to upgrade their
old apps but apart from that I don't think there are any other major
changes.

What you describe is what I would also expect.

Problem is it doesn't work like that. There is an old protection scheme that swaps the Open and Exit functions in the IDE, that is known. To see it automatically start to trigger the day after I declined a purchase seems terribly suspicious.It was my decline of that end of April offer that seems to have triggered things. I am really ticked.

It is working right now, I followed the suggestions about how to cleanup the bin directory.

I would have taken the EMB offer except I object to some political comments from EMB. (Elite Programmers writing Elite application ...)

Not My Compiler
Bob

PS: I noticed the old "Delphi Hater" guy is long gone but I was able to register the URL! :-)
Antonio Estevez

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 2:39 PM   in response to: Robert Kondner in response to: Robert Kondner
El 05/04/2018 a las 23:26, Robert Kondner escribió:

Problem is it doesn't work like that. There is an old protection scheme that swaps the Open and Exit functions in the IDE, that is known.

As far as I know that only happens when the IDE detects that some file inside the $(BDS)\bin folder has been modified or
replaced
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 2:58 PM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Antonio Estevez wrote:

As far as I know that only happens when the IDE detects that some
file inside the $(BDS)\bin folder has been modified or replaced

Or when a non-EMB file is placed in the folder.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Robert Kondner

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 3:12 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Antonio Estevez wrote:

As far as I know that only happens when the IDE detects that some
file inside the $(BDS)\bin folder has been modified or replaced

Or when a non-EMB file is placed in the folder.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

I saw your post on this issue from a while back but there are a LOT of files in the directory, how does someone figure out which one?

I did see a libmysql.dll file in there with a 2017 date, everything else was 2016. I moved that one file out, hope I didn't break anything. (I never did get FireDAC working with MySQL, I ended up using MyDAC components.)

Can EMB turn the test On and Off via license checks over the web? Seems to me like that is what happened. I am a perfectly legal guy. In fact I am a single developer and I actually have two independent licenses.

As a user from Turbo Pascal, Database toolbox and then Delphi 1 I feel really short changed. Makes me feel sick moving from Delphi evangelist to hater.

Bob Kondner
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02