Help

Thread: Dual Monitor vs Ultra Wide Monitor for development

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Feb 14, 2018 7:43 PM Last Post By: Dan Barclay
Clement Doss

Dual Monitor vs Ultra Wide Monitor for development
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 13, 2018 3:59 PM
Hello,

A friend wants to change his computer and he asked me if an Ultra Wide Monitor was better than Dual Monitor (FHD).
I 'm curious. How does Delphi displays itself on a Ultra Wide Monitor? Would it occupy all the monitor width or is it possible to "somehow split" the monitor and display as if it was dual monitor.

Clément
Harry Rogers

Re: Dual Monitor vs Ultra Wide Monitor for development
  Posted: Feb 14, 2018 1:24 AM   in response to: Clement Doss in response to: Clement Doss
Clement Doss wrote:
Hello,

A friend wants to change his computer and he asked me if an Ultra Wide Monitor was better than Dual Monitor (FHD).
I 'm curious. How does Delphi displays itself on a Ultra Wide Monitor? Would it occupy all the monitor width or is it possible to "somehow split" the monitor and display as if it was dual monitor.

Clément

I've used both approaches - the Single wide monitor is more expensive but produces less clutter and does provide great flexibility in setting up your working area. In the Delphi IDE you can define 'Desktops' so you can use as much or as little of the screen area as you feel works best for you. Currently I use one 34 inch and a 17inch screen with the IDE taking up about 2/3 of the 34 inch. I can then easily have the app/browser I'm targeting at various sizes as required - you need to bear in mind that most clients wont have 3.5k of pixel width to play with! Having this somewhat luxurious set up in the office does make working with Delphi on a single laptop screen when elsewhere feel very restrictive and I'm probably less productive when out and about than I used to be but then I'm past what many consider 'optimal age' for development.
Clement Doss

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 12:31 PM   in response to: Harry Rogers in response to: Harry Rogers
Hi

I've used both approaches - the Single wide monitor is more expensive but produces less clutter and does provide great flexibility in setting up your working area. In the Delphi IDE you can define 'Desktops' so you can use as much or as little of the screen area as you feel works best for you. Currently I use one 34 inch and a 17inch screen with the IDE taking up about 2/3 of the 34 inch. I can then easily have the app/browser I'm targeting at various sizes as required - you need to bear in mind that most clients wont have 3.5k of pixel width to play with! Having this somewhat luxurious set up in the office does make working with Delphi on a single laptop screen when elsewhere feel very restrictive and I'm probably less productive when out and about than I used to be but then I'm past what many consider 'optimal age' for development.

I work with a cluttered dual 23" monitors. It takes some time to get used to, but after you go dual, there's no way back. My friend is facing the same dilemma. He also works with dual monitors but would like to try single Ultrawide monitor.

Anyway thanks for your feedback!

Clément
Dan Barclay

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 7:43 PM   in response to: Clement Doss in response to: Clement Doss
Clement Doss wrote:
Hi

I work with a cluttered dual 23" monitors. It takes some time to get used to, but after you go dual, there's no way back. My friend is facing the same dilemma. He also works with dual monitors but would like to try single Ultrawide monitor.

That's kind of a dilemma, but there is a straightforward solution...

How about dual ultrawide?

Dan
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02