Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Cannot debug IOS 11.2 "E2597 dsymlink: Error: failed to set locale to ??21?

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Feb 1, 2018 6:14 AM Last Post By: Per Mårtensson Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Per Mårtensson

Cannot debug IOS 11.2 "E2597 dsymlink: Error: failed to set locale to ??21?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:10 AM
Hi,

(This is somewhat similar to the following threads:
- E Spelt on Dec 3, 2017 6:29 AM in Forum FireMonkey, which has been marked as solved
- Alex Shy on Mar 20, 2017 10:54 PM)

After the upgrade to 10.2.2 I can no longer debug 64-bit iOS apps (neither my own or any of the demos): in debug config linking results in the [DCC Error] "E2597 dsymlink: Error: failed to set locale to ??21?"

The same apps run fine in the release config.

My setup is as follows:

- I run a clean install of Rad Studio Tokyo 10.2.2 Pro with Mobile Pack in Delphi flavor under Windows 10 Creators Edition.

- My Mac runs High Sierra with XCode 9.2; my iPad device runs iOS 11.2.2; i use the iPhoneOS11.2.sdk. I hope this is a supported setup!

E Spelt got things to work by setting the Windows language to the same as the Windows region (in his case Dutch); in my case (Swedish) this changes nothing.

In the Alex Shy thread there is no resolution but a discussion about whether or not Rad Studio is run in a VM; I run on a real PC.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers in the right direction!

Per
E Spelt

Re: Cannot debug IOS 11.2 "E2597 dsymlink: Error: failed to set locale to ??21?
Correct
  Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:47 AM   in response to: Per Mårtensson in response to: Per Mårtensson
Hi Per,

In Windows 10 I thought my region and formatting was set properly but it was not. It is somewhat hidden in W10.

I had: The Windows version is English with Dutch (Nederlands) region set.

What I did: Change my format in the Region Control Panel to Dutch (Netherlands).

Let me explain what I did (Win10 26 jan 2018 - because MS always moves the cheese) with help from Embarcadero:

In Windows 10 type in the search: region and click on Region & Language settings

- Check your country or region that was/is Netherlands in my case.
- Click on Additional date, time & regional settings
- Click in Section Region on Change date, time, or number formats.
- Changed in the Formats tab the Format dropdown to Dutch (Nederlands)

Hope it helps!

Per Mårtensson

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 4:42 AM   in response to: E Spelt in response to: E Spelt
Hi Edward and thanks!

I was hoping that you would see my post and be able to clarify things.

You sure did. Following your steps (replacing Dutch/Netherlands with Swedish/Sweden) eliminated the linker error!

I can now run the app on my iPad using the Debug configuration. One (likely unrelated) problem remains: I cannot set any breakpoints (they become disabled as soon as the app starts running on the iPad).

I'll change the status to solved when I have figured out how to get the breakpoints to work.

Thanks again!

/Per
E Spelt

Helpful
  Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:13 AM   in response to: Per Mårtensson in response to: Per Mårtensson
Hi

Good to hear that!

Breakpoints but no debugging. You probably build it with debug but you dont run it with debug.

Emb should change that. Select debug and then always run with debug.
Per Mårtensson

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 3:57 AM   in response to: E Spelt in response to: E Spelt
Hi again and thanks for bearing with me!

Unfortunately, getting the breakpoints to work normally isn't as simple as just making sure I really use debug.

E.g., when I press F9 to start the app when targeting Android 27, everything works as expected: the breakpoints keep their red dot and blueish highlight when the app is started and execution stops when a breakpoint is reached.

However, when I press F9 to start the app when targeting iOS 64-bit 11.2, the breakpoints change to a crossed darker red dot and dark green highlight when the app is started and execution never stops when a breakpoint is reached.

This leads me to the conclusion that RAD Studio 10.2.2 - MacOS - XCode - Platform Assistant isn't set up properly or my particular configuration isn't supported.

I have tried with Sierra and XCode 9.2, High Sierra and XCode 9.2, and High Sierra and XCode 9.1, all with the latest Apple patches and all with the same result. I assume that PAServer19.0 is set up properly, since i can build and deploy to my iPad that runs iOS 10.2.2 and my apps work apart from debugging.

The next step would have been to try iOS 11.1 which worked fine before with RAD Studio 10.2.1 and iOS 11 patch, but I don't have (access to) any such device.

I'll keep digging through the Internet for clues, but would greatly appreciate any tip from you or another experienced Rad Studio user.

Very best regards /Per

Edited by: Per Mårtensson on Jan 27, 2018 3:58 AM
Per Mårtensson

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 6:14 AM   in response to: Per Mårtensson in response to: Per Mårtensson
Ok!

After many wasted hours I finally got debugging to work, so the combination RAD Studio 10.2 and High Sierra, Xcode 9.2 and iOS 11.2.2 is supported.

I'm not 100% certain about what made debug work again, but I changed to a different MAC (also with High Sierra and Xcode 9.2) with different provisioning credentials. After several restarts and attempts, debugging started to work with that MAC. I then changed back to the original MAC with the original credentials and everything just worked...

Best regards,
Per
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02