Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Question(s) about best versions for ios development

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Jan 25, 2018 6:01 PM Last Post By: Dave Nottage Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Keith Marbach

Question(s) about best versions for ios development  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 22, 2018 10:21 AM
I'm locked in on some software, but others I'm not sure what I should install.

I have the following and don't plan to change (unless Tokyo or post-Tokyo version of Delphi for Firemonkey is stable and usable):
Windows 10 Pro
Delphi 10.1 update 2 (Berlin)

With the list below though I'd like some feedback if I should change anything:
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 (will this work with Berlin update 2?)
Delphi Hot Fix 30680 to fix PAServer on Mac Sierra
Xcode 7.3.1 (should I use a more recent version?) (update - I tried 9.2 and I was able to deploy, but I get the same sort of random access violations I got with 7.3.1)
Iphone SDK iphoneOS 9.3 (from xcode) (again, what version should I use?) (update - with xcode 9.2 I also got ios 11.2... program still crashes often)

I want to develop apps for the company I work for only, no intention to put on App Store.

I want to support iphone 5s forward. IOW, I will only do 64-bit apps. Update: I tried deploying 32-bit to see if any less buggy but same problems, program just closes randomly or get AVs randomly)

Update - my app runs well on android, and I don't use any third party components. I also don't use any threading... everything runs in the main thread. And no GPS, although I'd like to but never was able to get async access to the sqlite database to work without error. The app allows users to take photos with camera or from gallery (using the actions for this), and in didFinish... the photo is saved to database. Then they can submit them which communicates with a datasnap server. The server then moves the photos to the appropriate folder based on what the mobile device user entered. Nothing elaborate. Works on android. Blows up on ios.

Thanks for any sage advice.

Keith Marbach

Edited by: Keith Marbach on Jan 22, 2018 11:01 AM

Edited by: Keith Marbach on Jan 25, 2018 5:08 AM
Dave Nottage

Re: Question(s) about best versions for ios development [Edit]  
  Posted: Jan 25, 2018 12:47 PM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Keith Marbach wrote:

Iphone SDK iphoneOS 9.3 (from xcode) (again, what version should I use?) (update - with xcode 9.2 I also got ios
11.2... program still crashes often)

I want to develop apps for the company I work for only, no intention to put on App Store.

I want to support iphone 5s forward. IOW, I will only do 64-bit apps. Update: I tried deploying 32-bit to see if any
less buggy but same problems, program just closes randomly or get AVs randomly)

Update - my app runs well on android, and I don't use any third party components. I also don't use any threading...
everything runs in the main thread. And no GPS, although I'd like to but never was able to get async access to the
sqlite database to work without error. The app allows users to take photos with camera or from gallery (using the
actions for this), and in didFinish... the photo is saved to database. Then they can submit them which communicates
with a datasnap server. The server then moves the photos to the appropriate folder based on what the mobile device
user entered. Nothing elaborate. Works on android. Blows up on ios.

Thanks for any sage advice

If you're able to make it crash when it runs in the IDE, it may help to provide a callstack. Does the crash occur when
the user attempts to take a photo? What version of iOS is it? If it's 11, you may want to look at this:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-19322

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Keith Marbach

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 5:44 PM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
If you're able to make it crash when it runs in the IDE, it may help to provide a callstack. Does the crash occur when
the user attempts to take a photo? What version of iOS is it? If it's 11, you may want to look at this:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-19322

That report fits me, in one of the many tests I've tried, but I've also run with ios 9.x. My program just closes randomly, or get AVs, at seeming randomly times. Because I cannot step through code to debug (can I? If so how?) I cannot be sure, but it seems like the app has problems sometimes when accessing the remote datasnap server, sometimes when accessing local sqlite database, sometimes when scrolling control, and on and on. The basic layout of my app is as such: I have a TTabControl with 4 pages (TTabItems). I move focus between those tab items to mimic different forms (login screen, list of pending submissions, capture screen for photos (up to 25 per submission), and a settings page. Each tab item has either a TVertScrollBox or a TListBox. Within the scroll boxes are layouts. I also have a number of layouts that are hidden except when I need to show user a certain type of message, like a processing message while photos are uploaded to server, or an OK box type message when certain thingsappen. I also have my own version of android toast I've written to work on ios or android. Does anything about that strike you as bad in terms of how things should be done with Delphi on ios?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave Nottage

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 6:01 PM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Keith Marbach wrote:

My program just closes randomly, or get AVs, at seeming randomly times. Because I cannot step through code to debug
(can I? If so how?)

It's possible to step through code to debug; just like any other app (e.g. on Windows), by running it from the IDE.
When a crash occurs, usually the IDE will present an error dialog. Clicking "Break" should bring up the callstack
window (at least it does if you don't alter the Debug desktop layout), and you can usually see where the error occurred.

You could also use iOS Console:

http://lemonjar.com/iosconsole/

To view the logs generated by your app. Type your app name in the filter in the top right, and you'll just see messages
for your app.

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02