Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Some General advice on how to move forward. ios and Tokyo

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jan 16, 2018 2:10 PM Last Post By: Richard Stevens
Keith Marbach

Some General advice on how to move forward. ios and Tokyo
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 11, 2018 10:55 AM
Any pointers very much appreciated...

I have a few android apps that work well enough compiled using Berlin 10.1. My company now wants those apps on ios.

Q1 - Will I be able to do this using Tokyo? What are the pitfalls? Any white papers or in depth sources of info?
Q2 - Should I expect my android versions to recompile and run well under Tokyo? Same need for documentation/examples.
Q3 - I would like to understand FMX Styles and the Stylebook but haven't found any good tutorials. Can you point me to one?

Thanks for any feedback.

Keith Marbach
Brian Hamilton ...

Re: Some General advice on how to move forward. ios and Tokyo
  Posted: Jan 12, 2018 4:43 PM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Keith Marbach wrote:
Any pointers very much appreciated...

I have a few android apps that work well enough compiled using Berlin 10.1. My company now wants those apps on ios.

Q1 - Will I be able to do this using Tokyo? What are the pitfalls? Any white papers or in depth sources of info?
Q2 - Should I expect my android versions to recompile and run well under Tokyo? Same need for documentation/examples.
Q3 - I would like to understand FMX Styles and the Stylebook but haven't found any good tutorials. Can you point me to one?

Thanks for any feedback.

Keith Marbach
you can use compiler directives for iOS , i.e so same code base
the latest update and patch is OK for Android from what I understand
Francisco Peris

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 2:08 PM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Considering my experience, you will not have any big problem.

The idea of Firemonkey is doing that.

In my apps, for example, I have to take care of the locations of the files that the app is reading/writing, tat are different for each platform. So you have to use the compiler directives to specify the different locations.

The rest of the code is very common.

You will enjoy a lot!
Robert [NL] Mit...

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 2:57 AM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach

Yes, you will.
The important pitfall is the effort needed to set up certificates and profiles for iOS. You can't blame Embarcadero for this, it is mainly an Apple thing.
It is important to make good notes of which certificates and profiles you have made, since they will expire after a year or so, and than you have to do the proces all over again.
Also you need a Mac machine to deploy iOS apps.
The first time I was really supprised that my original FMX Android app was also running quite well on iOS.

I did my migration some weeks ago (I waited for 10.2.2) and it did well. Only an issue for TTabControl which I could work around.

I hardly use them anymore. They are complex and badly documented.
Richard Stevens

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 2:10 PM   in response to: Robert [NL] Mit... in response to: Robert [NL] Mit...

I hardly use them anymore. They are complex and badly documented.

Agree completely with this. You can do a perfectly good interface without having to use styles that will look fine on ios and Android.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02