Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: FireDac Newbie

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 10:37 PM Last Post By: Serge Girard Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Mark Williams

FireDac Newbie  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 13, 2017 10:55 AM
I am a newbie to Firedac and relatively inexperienced with databases. I have worked with MySQL in Delphi, but using various wrapper units.

I have upgraded to latest Delphi and I want to rewrite a fairly large project using Firedac and mySQL.

I have had a play around and have managed to get a query loading and filling a grid with data. So far so good.

But what I need is some basic advice as to what are the best FireDac components for the job and how best to deal with refreshing and updating data.

In brief I am developing an internet enabled app (win 64) for listing, searching and viewing documents. The documents table may have tens of thousands of documents and there may be many users accessing and editing the document data at any given time. I am keen to ensure that I don't unnecessarily increase server traffic to make access as quick as possible.

I have started with a TFDQuery object to initially extract the list of documents from the database. At the moment each time the app is fired up it extracts the entire document list and the relevant data. Even with 30000 records or so this is reasonably fast.

But what is the best way to handle updates? I would assume it is not sensible to constantly refresh the whole query, but if not, how do you refresh only the records that have been changed or newly created records?

The app allows users to change records one at a time or in bulk. What are the best strategies in each case?

I would appreciate some basic pointers. Also, is there a good beginner's guide available somewhere?
Serge Girard

Re: FireDac Newbie
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 23, 2017 10:37 PM   in response to: Mark Williams in response to: Mark Williams
Mark Williams wrote:
I would appreciate some basic pointers. Also, is there a good beginner's guide available somewhere?

Hello,

Look for the book "Delphi in Depth : Firedac" author Cary Jensen
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02