Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Licensing for deployment

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Jul 12, 2017 4:08 PM Last Post By: Sriram Balasubr... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Paul Jackson

Licensing for deployment
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 9, 2017 6:01 PM
So having to jump through all the hoops to use Interbase/IBLite/ToGo when you could use FireDAC and a SQL flavor or simply SQLite for mobile what is the point of hassling with all the deployment issues of dl'ing and deploying licenses?

Am I missing something? I love the idea of using the Embarcadero Eco-system, I think it's really a powerful and awesome system, but man-o-man it's really tough for a newbie to understand and implement all the necessary settings just to create an application that uses a DB.

I would really welcome any discussion on this topic, please.
--
-Paul
Sriram Balasubr...

Re: Licensing for deployment
  Posted: Jul 10, 2017 10:45 AM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Paul,
There are a number of scenarios where InterBase fits nicely compared to other databases.

Can you give us some detail on what your application architecture w.r.t. data storage is, and what deployment scenarios you are considering? Please include as many facets as applies to your system including OS platforms (Desktop, Server and Mobile included), footprint requirements, native architectures (32bit, 64bit or both for each OS platform), scalability needs (1 database connection or multiple concurrent database connection needs and what limit), security and/or data encryption, current data size and expected growth over the coming months/years etc.

Any detailed info on the above will help us understand if InterBase would be a great choice for your needs.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Paul Jackson wrote:
So having to jump through all the hoops to use Interbase/IBLite/ToGo when you could use FireDAC and a SQL flavor or simply SQLite for mobile what is the point of hassling with all the deployment issues of dl'ing and deploying licenses?

Am I missing something? I love the idea of using the Embarcadero Eco-system, I think it's really a powerful and awesome system, but man-o-man it's really tough for a newbie to understand and implement all the necessary settings just to create an application that uses a DB.

--
-Paul
Paul Jackson

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 5:50 PM   in response to: Sriram Balasubr... in response to: Sriram Balasubr...
Hi Sriram,

Thank you for the questions. I am just starting to develop with the C++ Builder Pro system. While I used C++ many many years ago, I'm coming recently from a Java background. I became interested in Embarcadero for the simple idea of a single code base multiple deployments and of course using VCL to create native Windows executables and the ease of deployment on mobile. It's just a very attractive package.

With that said, I'm in a learning phase for the whole system, but will pick it up fairly quick.

I'm currently in the planning stage of a program that will work in a small medical office to track patient information including visits, information on Insurance expiration dates, and that will generate and allow notifications to be used for various "upcoming" events. It is not be a traditional medical system, security is a concern but only at the user level, there is no public interface.

The system will run on a single Windows 7 x64 system. The database model will be simple at first, consisting of a few related tables. There are some suggestions of sending simple communications to patients, via cell phone. Maybe texting at first, then as the application grows perhaps an App.

Deployment will be me installing the application by hand in the beginning and an installer later. As for scalibility, the office has 5 employees that will eventually tie into the program which means moving from embedded to client/server. The program will be small and simple at first, but my client and I will work together to allow the program to evolve as needs are identified, in other words we're partners.

The ultimate plan is a client/server system with deployments of 5 to 25 employees at single sites. I don't believe the footprint is really a consideration at this point. The databases will grow as patients drop out of the program and new patients are registered. Records will be kept in an archive sense for 5 years. Our first targets will likely be Windows OS both x32 and x64, MacOS is a possibility. But that's the beauty of Embarcadero, one code base...

Well that's a start.

Sriram Balasubramanian wrote:
Paul,
There are a number of scenarios where InterBase fits nicely compared to other databases.

Can you give us some detail on what your application architecture w.r.t. data storage is, and what deployment scenarios you are considering? Please include as many facets as applies to your system including OS platforms (Desktop, Server and Mobile included), footprint requirements, native architectures (32bit, 64bit or both for each OS platform), scalability needs (1 database connection or multiple concurrent database connection needs and what limit), security and/or data encryption, current data size and expected growth over the coming months/years etc.

Any detailed info on the above will help us understand if InterBase would be a great choice for your needs.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Paul Jackson wrote:

--
-Paul

--
-Paul
Sriram Balasubr...

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 4:08 PM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Paul,

Thanks for the detailed info. Please see my comments embedded below.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Paul Jackson wrote:
Hi Sriram,

Thank you for the questions. I am just starting to develop with the C++ Builder Pro system. While I used C++ many many years ago, I'm coming recently from a Java background. I became interested in Embarcadero for the simple idea of a single code base multiple deployments and of course using VCL to create native Windows executables and the ease of deployment on mobile. It's just a very attractive package.

With that said, I'm in a learning phase for the whole system, but will pick it up fairly quick.
Welcome back!

I'm currently in the planning stage of a program that will work in a small medical office to track patient information including visits, information on Insurance expiration dates, and that will generate and allow notifications to be used for various "upcoming" events. It is not be a traditional medical system, security is a concern but only at the user level, there is no public interface.

You are in good hands. InterBase is used by many in the "Medical" industry all around the world for various sizes of pharmacies, hospitals, doctor's offices etc.

Here's a jumpstart area for resources on the InterBase product page.
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/InterBase/2017/en/Main_Page
https://www.embarcadero.com/products/interbase/resources

From a security standpoint, in your case you can start with simple SQL level user security. You can also put to use InterBase's Database and/or Column-level Encryption to safeguard the sensitive information in your database, as needed.
Here are some resources in this area that might be of help to you...
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/InterBase/2017/en/Encrypting_Your_Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4T0qS9apqs

The system will run on a single Windows 7 x64 system. The database model will be simple at first, consisting of a few related tables. There are some suggestions of sending simple communications to patients, via cell phone. Maybe texting at first, then as the application grows perhaps an App.

Deployment will be me installing the application by hand in the beginning and an installer later. As for scalibility, the office has 5 employees that will eventually tie into the program which means moving from embedded to client/server. The program will be small and simple at first, but my client and I will work together to allow the program to evolve as needs are identified, in other words we're partners.

If you want to go with a "embedded" route for just one system and one application, you can use InterBase ToGo Edition; which is an embedded database library for your application.

If you anticipate multiple applications connecting to the local database in the system, then you could either use Desktop Edition (some limited features), or Server Edition (all features available). I recommend Server Edition since you can then utilize all features and be ready to move to a Client/Server system when many users come on board.

Here is a list of features available in various editions...
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/InterBase/2017/en/Comparing_IBLite,_ToGo,_and_InterBase_Server_Edition

The ultimate plan is a client/server system with deployments of 5 to 25 employees at single sites. I don't believe the footprint is really a consideration at this point. The databases will grow as patients drop out of the program and new patients are registered. Records will be kept in an archive sense for 5 years. Our first targets will likely be Windows OS both x32 and x64, MacOS is a possibility. But that's the beauty of Embarcadero, one code base...

We cover all of the OS platforms you mention above, and also have native embedded database libraries for Mobile platforms should you need to build applications in the future for Android and/or Apple iOS.

If you are planning to just service that one site for a period of time, I recommend purchasing the 5-user or 25-user Server Edition license for direct registration and deployment on the site.

OTOH, if you are planning to deploy your application to many sites, you can become an InterBase VAR to improve your deployment experience and costs. https://www.embarcadero.com/products/interbase/var-program

Good luck!

Well that's a start.

Sriram Balasubramanian wrote:
Paul,

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Paul Jackson wrote:

--
-Paul

--
-Paul
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02