Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Excel .csv file generation - Simple ?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Dec 13, 2016 5:31 AM Last Post By: Jan Dijkstra Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John MacDonald

Excel .csv file generation - Simple ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 12, 2016 2:19 PM
Has anyone had experience creating a .csv file using FireDac or is there a better tool?

I'm populating a file with merge fields to be used during an email blast.

I imagine that I can use a MemTable to create the information to be put into a csv file.

Thanks for your input.

--
JMAC out

Jan Dijkstra

Re: Excel .csv file generation - Simple ?  
  Posted: Dec 12, 2016 11:46 PM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
John MacDonald wrote:
Has anyone had experience creating a .csv file using FireDac or is there a better tool?

I imagine that I can use a MemTable to create the information to be put into a csv file.

Thanks for your input.

--
JMAC out

I've created my own class object that does csv file processing, based on a simple TStringList. Each row is represented by a TStringList, where each column in that string list represents one cell on that row. The csv contents is simply a list of string lists.
John MacDonald

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 5:23 AM   in response to: Jan Dijkstra in response to: Jan Dijkstra
Thanks Jan:

I don't remember, are you using XE6 like me. I just found that the firedac includes a batchmove in XE7 that would be useful here.
Since I need it in XE6 I will do that same as you. Thanks

John

Jan Dijkstra wrote:
John MacDonald wrote:

Thanks for your input.

--
JMAC out

I've created my own class object that does csv file processing, based on a simple TStringList. Each row is represented by a TStringList, where each column in that string list represents one cell on that row. The csv contents is simply a list of string lists.

--
JMAC out
Jan Dijkstra

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 5:31 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
John MacDonald wrote:
Thanks Jan:

I don't remember, are you using XE6 like me. I just found that the firedac includes a batchmove in XE7 that would be useful here.
Since I need it in XE6 I will do that same as you. Thanks

John

Jan Dijkstra wrote:
John MacDonald wrote:

Thanks for your input.

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out

I'm currently on XE8, but I started my conversion work from CBuilder 5 with XE3. The csv class is one out of the basic toolkit, which I moved over in the XE3 period.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02