Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: display problems under Boot Camp

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Nov 25, 2015 11:50 AM Last Post By: Palle Meinert Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Rolf Fankhauser

display problems under Boot Camp
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 17, 2015 1:40 PM
Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post my problem.

One of my customers use one of my old programs written in BCB6 under Boot Camp. He has some problems that text inside buttons and inside grids are not fully visible. This problems don't happen under native Windows.
Is this a problem of Boot Camp or BCB6? Would it help if I migrate the application to BCB XE5 (that's the newest version I own)?

The customer told me that they have no such problems with other Windows software.
I also tried the program in a VM under Ubuntu with Wine without display problems.

Could screen resolution be the problem source?

Thanks, Rolf
Rolf Fankhauser

Re: display problems under Boot Camp
  Posted: Nov 17, 2015 2:40 PM   in response to: Rolf Fankhauser in response to: Rolf Fankhauser
I think it must be a screen resolution problem because I learned that with BootCamp Windows is directly installed and not running in a VM.

Are there some guidelines to prevent screen resolution problems under VCL development?

Thanks, Rolf
Palle Meinert

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 11:28 PM   in response to: Rolf Fankhauser in response to: Rolf Fankhauser
It depends on how you run your bootcamp partition.

if you boot into windows, then bootcamp is the same as native windows.

If you run your bootcamp partition in a virtual machine, then it is running as a virtual machine.

My guess it is a dpi problem. Your customer are running 100dpi and you are running something bigger. So nothing to do with bootcamp or not.
Rolf Fankhauser

Posted: Nov 20, 2015 8:12 AM   in response to: Palle Meinert in response to: Palle Meinert
Hi Palle

Thanks for your help! It is very likely that's a dpi problem. Can you suggest settings (Scaled true or false? setting font height depending on PixelsPerInch) to avoid dpi problems? Or do you know a good publication about resolution problems?
I found this article http://delphi.about.com/od/standards/a/aa030700a.htm
Hope it will help me!
Should I move to FireMonkey?

Regards, Rolf
Palle Meinert

Posted: Nov 21, 2015 5:30 AM   in response to: Rolf Fankhauser in response to: Rolf Fankhauser
Rolf Fankhauser wrote:
Hi Palle

Thanks for your help! It is very likely that's a dpi problem. Can you suggest settings (Scaled true or false? setting font height depending on PixelsPerInch) to avoid dpi problems? Or do you know a good publication about resolution problems?
I found this article http://delphi.about.com/od/standards/a/aa030700a.htm
Hope it will help me!
Should I move to FireMonkey?

Regards, Rolf
Unfortunately I cannot help much, because I am not longer an active developer. I only help out fixing show-stoppers now and I know there has been made changes to VCL in order to better support HI dpi resolution since I had my hands dirty. I made my UI with relatively hi dpi setting and tested, that it didn't look to weird at normal dpi.
Rolf Fankhauser

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 2:08 AM   in response to: Palle Meinert in response to: Palle Meinert
But my laptop has only 100 dpi. Can I test higher dpi's on my screen or develop with higher dpi?
Palle Meinert

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 11:50 AM   in response to: Rolf Fankhauser in response to: Rolf Fankhauser
Rolf Fankhauser wrote:
But my laptop has only 100 dpi. Can I test higher dpi's on my screen or develop with higher dpi?
Don't know with Windows 10, since I have never used it. But yes, you can just change it to whatever you want in display settings. You will just get very big text then. I believe you also have to log out an in again, before it is fully in effect.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02