Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Removing BDE from project

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Aug 10, 2016 4:56 AM Last Post By: Jan Dijkstra Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Barry Andrews

Removing BDE from project  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 26, 2015 8:29 PM
I am converting a C++ Builder Xe4 project to c++ Builder XE7.
The original XE4 project started with BDE components then moved to unidac but when compiled with XE7 says it still needs BDE files (Complains about missing BDE header).
How do I find out what it is that is requiring the BDE components and remove the references?
quinn wildman

Re: Removing BDE from project  
  Posted: Oct 27, 2015 9:40 AM   in response to: Barry Andrews in response to: Barry Andrews
Look at your uses clause. That is probably where the reference is.

Barry Andrews wrote:
The original XE4 project started with BDE components then moved to unidac but when compiled with XE7 says it still needs BDE files (Complains about missing BDE header).
How do I find out what it is that is requiring the BDE components and remove the references?
Barry Andrews

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 5:54 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:

Barry Andrews wrote:
C++ Builder doesn't have a uses clause, that's Delphi.
It has included files and I am not sure which ones relate to BDE and which to the UNIDAC database that I am using and the DBGrids that I am using.
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 11:41 AM   in response to: Barry Andrews in response to: Barry Andrews
Barry Andrews wrote:
quinn wildman wrote:

Barry Andrews wrote:
C++ Builder doesn't have a uses clause, that's Delphi.
It has included files and I am not sure which ones relate to BDE and which to the UNIDAC database that I am using and the DBGrids that I am using.

You need to remove Bde.DBTables.hpp, BDE.hpp, Bde.SMINTF.hpp, Bde.Bdeconst.hhp,
Bde.DrTables.hpp and bdemts.hpp. Those are the BDE units.

You can look in <Rad Studio>\source\data\bde in older versions for the names of
the units involved in the BDE.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
Barry Andrews

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 6:32 PM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Thanks for the response Jeff.

I have done a search of my project and there is no reference to BDE when I search project files.
I am guessing one of the components I am using needs the BDE and wish to try and find out which one and change it to something BDE independent.

Is there a list of BDE or BDE dependent components somewhere?

Regards
Barry
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 11:12 AM   in response to: Barry Andrews in response to: Barry Andrews
Barry Andrews wrote:
Thanks for the response Jeff.

I have done a search of my project and there is no reference to BDE when I search project files.
I am guessing one of the components I am using needs the BDE and wish to try and find out which one and change it to something BDE independent.

Is there a list of BDE or BDE dependent components somewhere?

Not that I am aware of. If you are talking about things that ship with RAD
Studio, it is only those things on the BDE tab.

Regards
Barry

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)

John MacDonald

Helpful
  Posted: Dec 10, 2015 3:41 AM   in response to: Barry Andrews in response to: Barry Andrews
Hello Barry

I hope you have been able to solve this issue.
If not per haps you could take a look through the project include files and packages.

I am planning a similar move in the near future.

I use data modules for everything. I'm hoping I can create new modules for firedac and the move over. Once the transition is complete I suspect I will be in the same place.

Good luck.

Barry Andrews wrote:

--
JMAC out
Barry Andrews

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 12:10 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
In the end I got there but there is no easy way to do this.
I simply plodded through by removing the associated header files and #pragma links until all BDE referencing components were gone.
Jan Dijkstra

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 4:56 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
John MacDonald wrote:
Hello Barry

I hope you have been able to solve this issue.
If not per haps you could take a look through the project include files and packages.

I am planning a similar move in the near future.

I use data modules for everything. I'm hoping I can create new modules for firedac and the move over. Once the transition is complete I suspect I will be in the same place.

Good luck.

Barry Andrews wrote:

--
JMAC out

I'm rebuilding my project(s) from scratch, where I create new data modules and place FireDAC components on them. Then I copy over any code I wish to reuse. It's a bit more work, but that way I'm sure no references of any kind to the BDE remain.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02