Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: XE3 License Lock File



Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Jul 4, 2017 1:39 PM Last Post By: Kjell Ljungqvist Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Jeff Cope

Posts: 88
Registered: 1/27/01
XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 12:20 PM
We recently ran into a situation where Interbase failed to start. Turns out there was a lock file in the license directory that caused it. Once the .loc file was removed, Interbase started normally. In the past we've run into this a lot with IB 7.5 but hadn't seen it yet in XE3.

What situations would result in this occurring? Also, I'm surprised the interbase.log file didn't indicate the issue. Instead, Interbase just timed out when you attempted to start it.
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 1:57 PM   in response to: Jeff Cope in response to: Jeff Cope
I have never seen a case where a .LOC file prevented a server from
starting. I would suggest your situation is completely unexpected and
therefore impossible to explain based on the facts presented.

Jeff Cope wrote:
We recently ran into a situation where Interbase failed to start. Turns out there was a lock file in the license directory that caused it. Once the .loc file was removed, Interbase started normally. In the past we've run into this a lot with IB 7.5 but hadn't seen it yet in XE3.

What situations would result in this occurring? Also, I'm surprised the interbase.log file didn't indicate the issue. Instead, Interbase just timed out when you attempted to start it.
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 1:59 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Oh, the .LOC file has nothing to do with licensing either.

quinn wildman wrote:
I have never seen a case where a .LOC file prevented a server from
starting. I would suggest your situation is completely unexpected and
therefore impossible to explain based on the facts presented.
Arnold Schepers

Posts: 3
Registered: 1/10/10
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 17, 2014 5:02 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Today we had a similar problem with one of our customers
Interbase\gds_db\License directory contains an extra file "cg_license.loc"

After removing this file we could start Interbase again as a Windows service.

Any suggestions this from happening would be helpful.

quinn wildman wrote:
Oh, the .LOC file has nothing to do with licensing either.

quinn wildman wrote:
I have never seen a case where a .LOC file prevented a server from
starting. I would suggest your situation is completely unexpected and
therefore impossible to explain based on the facts presented.
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 17, 2014 8:41 AM   in response to: Arnold Schepers in response to: Arnold Schepers
I know of no conditions where deleting a .loc file would fix anything.
The first step in resolving this issue is figuring out how to reproduce
it. Can you give me any clues? So far, all I know is use InterBase.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
Today we had a similar problem with one of our customers
Interbase\gds_db\License directory contains an extra file "cg_license.loc"

After removing this file we could start Interbase again as a Windows service.

Any suggestions this from happening would be helpful.
Arnold Schepers

Posts: 3
Registered: 1/10/10
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 29, 2014 12:00 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
When it happens again, we will try to collect more information about environment
and actions taken.

quinn wildman wrote:
I know of no conditions where deleting a .loc file would fix anything.
The first step in resolving this issue is figuring out how to reproduce
it. Can you give me any clues? So far, all I know is use InterBase.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
Today we had a similar problem with one of our customers
Interbase\gds_db\License directory contains an extra file "cg_license.loc"

After removing this file we could start Interbase again as a Windows service.

Any suggestions this from happening would be helpful.
Arnold Schepers

Posts: 3
Registered: 1/10/10
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 27, 2017 12:06 AM   in response to: Arnold Schepers in response to: Arnold Schepers
Today I had same problem again now with IB XE7
There was an extra file .cg_license.loc file in the license directory with size 0, deleting the file solved the problem.
Interbase guardian could be started again.

The Interbase log shows an error this morning

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
(null)
Access violation.
The code attempted to access a virtual
address without privilege to do so.
This exception will cause the InterBase server
to terminate abnormally.

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
process_packet() servicing opcode=1
Access violation.
The code attempted to access a virtual
address without privilege to do so.
This exception will cause the InterBase server
to terminate abnormally.

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
INET/inet_error: send errno = 10093 client host = SMTC-TANSAPP01 connection name = SMTC-TANSAPP01 user name = TALISAPPPOOL server port number = 0

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Client) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated abnormally (-1)

I don't know the meaning of the loginfo, any explanation is welcome.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
When it happens again, we will try to collect more information about environment
and actions taken.

quinn wildman wrote:
I know of no conditions where deleting a .loc file would fix anything.
The first step in resolving this issue is figuring out how to reproduce
it. Can you give me any clues? So far, all I know is use InterBase.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
Today we had a similar problem with one of our customers
Interbase\gds_db\License directory contains an extra file "cg_license.loc"

After removing this file we could start Interbase again as a Windows service.

Any suggestions this from happening would be helpful.
Kjell Ljungqvist

Posts: 23
Registered: 5/8/03
Re: XE3 License Lock File
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 4, 2017 1:39 PM   in response to: Arnold Schepers in response to: Arnold Schepers
The issue with cg_license.loc file not being always automatically removed was confirmed i XE7 and fixed (INTB-1933) in Update 4 which originates from a support case made by us to Embarcadero.
We had also experienced the same problem multiple times with XE3 but the fix above never made it to XE3.

Best regards,
Kjell

Arnold Schepers wrote:
Today I had same problem again now with IB XE7
There was an extra file .cg_license.loc file in the license directory with size 0, deleting the file solved the problem.
Interbase guardian could be started again.

The Interbase log shows an error this morning

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
(null)
Access violation.
The code attempted to access a virtual
address without privilege to do so.
This exception will cause the InterBase server
to terminate abnormally.

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
process_packet() servicing opcode=1
Access violation.
The code attempted to access a virtual
address without privilege to do so.
This exception will cause the InterBase server
to terminate abnormally.

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Server) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
INET/inet_error: send errno = 10093 client host = SMTC-TANSAPP01 connection name = SMTC-TANSAPP01 user name = TALISAPPPOOL server port number = 0

SMTC-TANSAPP01 (Client) Tue Jun 27 05:00:03 2017
C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated abnormally (-1)

I don't know the meaning of the loginfo, any explanation is welcome.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
When it happens again, we will try to collect more information about environment
and actions taken.

quinn wildman wrote:
I know of no conditions where deleting a .loc file would fix anything.
The first step in resolving this issue is figuring out how to reproduce
it. Can you give me any clues? So far, all I know is use InterBase.

Arnold Schepers wrote:
Today we had a similar problem with one of our customers
Interbase\gds_db\License directory contains an extra file "cg_license.loc"

After removing this file we could start Interbase again as a Windows service.

Any suggestions this from happening would be helpful.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02