Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Office components always disabled when I start Delphi

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Aug 27, 2017 12:33 PM Last Post By: Fred N Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Simon Innes

Office components always disabled when I start Delphi  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 6, 2014 4:44 AM
This is happening in XE6 but I recall I had similar problems with XE2 (and probably 2010 before it): whenever Delphi starts, the Office Automation Components (I use the 2000 ones) are un-checked in the Install packages dialog - this means that every time I open a form that includes an Office component I get an error message, meaning I have to close the form (being careful not to save the "changes"), go to the Component menu and re-enable before I can open my project. (I always have Delphi remember my current project).

Not a major problem but a bit annoying - does anyone know of a fix for this?
Mike Shkolnik

Re: Office components always disabled when I start Delphi  
  Posted: Sep 6, 2014 2:03 PM   in response to: Simon Innes in response to: Simon Innes
Hello,

you need start the Delphi IDE under administrator priilegies. Because now the checked state of enabled component is not saved in registry (not enough privilegies)

With best regards, Mike Shkolnik
E-mail: mshkolnik at scalabium dot com
http://www.scalabium.com

Simon Innes wrote:
This is happening in XE6 but I recall I had similar problems with XE2 (and probably 2010 before it): whenever Delphi starts, the Office Automation Components (I use the 2000 ones) are un-checked in the Install packages dialog - this means that every time I open a form that includes an Office component I get an error message, meaning I have to close the form (being careful not to save the "changes"), go to the Component menu and re-enable before I can open my project. (I always have Delphi remember my current project).

Simon Innes

Posted: Sep 7, 2014 3:33 AM   in response to: Mike Shkolnik in response to: Mike Shkolnik
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the answer - unfortunately this didn't fix it.

I did find this key in the registry which included references to both Office component sets:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\14.0\Disabled Packages

But even after I removed the reference to the Office 2000 set, it made no difference. (There is a sister branch called "Known Packages" which seems to be the one that provides the whole list, but has no property for enable/disable, so I have to assume that "Disabled Packages" is the one that controls the state).

Mike Shkolnik wrote:
Hello,

you need start the Delphi IDE under administrator priilegies. Because now the checked state of enabled component is not saved in registry (not enough privilegies)

With best regards, Mike Shkolnik
E-mail: mshkolnik at scalabium dot com
http://www.scalabium.com

Simon Innes wrote:

Tom Brunberg

Posted: Sep 7, 2014 7:10 AM   in response to: Simon Innes in response to: Simon Innes
Simon Innes wrote:

This is happening in XE6 but I recall I had similar problems with XE2 (and probably 2010 before
it): whenever Delphi starts, the Office Automation Components (I use the 2000 ones) are
un-checked in the Install packages dialog - this means that every time I open a form that
includes an Office component I get an error message, meaning I have to close the form (being
careful not to save the "changes"), go to the Component menu and re-enable before I can open my
project. (I always have Delphi remember my current project).

It is a bit confusing what you are doing. With the project open, I select Project - Options -
Packages. Then in the list I tick Microsoft Office 2000 .... components.
The components appear under Servers in the Tool Palette.
Finally click Save All for the project and there's no problem to reopen the project / forms.

--
Tom Brunberg
firstname.lastname@welho.com
Simon Innes

Posted: Sep 7, 2014 8:15 AM   in response to: Tom Brunberg in response to: Tom Brunberg
I have Delphi remember my project so when it opens it automatically loads the last project (group) I had open. If one of the forms that was open included an Office component, I would get the message about the component not being found, the reason being that the Office 2000 components would be un-checked under Component | Install packages. I would have to close the project, check that option, and then re-open the project so the form could load properly.

I did not think about the similar setting under Project > Options that you mention - looking just now the Office 2000 set is checked. But I also just upgraded to XE7 today and so far have not had the problem recur.

Thanks for all your input - I'll post back in a few days once I see if it is fixed.

Tom Brunberg wrote:

It is a bit confusing what you are doing. With the project open, I select Project - Options -
Packages. Then in the list I tick Microsoft Office 2000 .... components.
The components appear under Servers in the Tool Palette.
Finally click Save All for the project and there's no problem to reopen the project / forms.

--
Tom Brunberg
firstname dot lastname at welho dot com
Simon Innes

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 5:29 AM   in response to: Simon Innes in response to: Simon Innes
Well after a few days the problem seems to have gone away - I think mainly down to Tom's suggestion, so thanks all :-)
Fred N

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 12:15 PM   in response to: Simon Innes in response to: Simon Innes
Simon Innes wrote:
Well after a few days the problem seems to have gone away - I think mainly down to Tom's suggestion, so thanks all :-)

I am having exactly the same problem as Simon with my new installation on Windows 7 with Delphi XE2.

Tom's suggestion does not help. I need to manually click to install Office package every time I start Delphi. Very annoying.

Where does Delphi store this information?

Edited by: N N on Aug 27, 2017 12:33 PM
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02