Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Deployment of FireDac - what goes in install

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Sep 1, 2014 5:17 AM Last Post By: John MacDonald Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John MacDonald

Deployment of FireDac - what goes in install  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 25, 2014 9:00 PM
After experimenting with a test database application I tried to use the deploy method from inside the IDE and FireDac does not seem to get setup properly.
I'm using an Interbase full licence and I have my application getting info from a server on one of the computer in our lan.

When I deploy I get an error that basically seems to indicate that the .ini file for firedac is not to be found. I included the FDExplorer.ini and the FDAdministrator in the deploy.
I can see that they should likely be put into the win32 directory on the remote computer. When you use this type of deployment it seems like there is something missing. Is it supposed to work?

My next option is to use Install sheild to do the installation. This seems like a better approach.

Any tips that you can provide will go a long way right now.
Have a great night...

--
JMAC out
quinn wildman

Re: Deployment of FireDac - what goes in install  
  Posted: Aug 26, 2014 11:26 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
John MacDonald wrote:

Give us the exact error.
John MacDonald

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 4:54 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Hello Quinn:

I'm not sure we are at the "exact error". It looks like FireDac will have to be installed on the target machine.

I setup a paserver and I learned how to deploy to a machine. This is great. It does not make sense to me that the target machine can work without interbase and firedac being installed. Although I do understand that there are situations where I can use togo or some other fassion of interbase; my question is still how and what to include in the FireDac install?

For the time being I've given up on the Deploy tool. I am going to try to use the 2012 version of InstallAware to get the job done.

Talk to you soon.

quinn wildman wrote:
John MacDonald wrote:

Give us the exact error.

--
JMAC out
John MacDonald

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 6:31 PM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
Hello Quinn:

I tried the InstallAware tool.
I can make an install that works. No errors get thrown.

Then the application comes up with [FireDAC][Stan][Def]-254. Definition [MKAY] is not found in [C:\windows\FDConnectionDefs.ini]

The install did not install this file because I did not tell it to. If I install in manually then it still does not work. ( don't have the error right now ).
Back in the day I would have installed the BDE through the install software.

Do I have to run some kind of FireDAC install on the target machine?
What about Interbase?

I will retreat to my documentation again. I just hoped you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help so far.

John

John MacDonald wrote:
Hello Quinn:

I'm not sure we are at the "exact error". It looks like FireDac will have to be installed on the target machine.

I setup a paserver and I learned how to deploy to a machine. This is great. It does not make sense to me that the target machine can work without interbase and firedac being installed. Although I do understand that there are situations where I can use togo or some other fassion of interbase; my question is still how and what to include in the FireDac install?

For the time being I've given up on the Deploy tool. I am going to try to use the 2012 version of InstallAware to get the job done.

Talk to you soon.

quinn wildman wrote:
John MacDonald wrote:

Give us the exact error.

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
John MacDonald

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 5:17 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Hello Quinn:

I tried the InstallAware tool.
I can make an install that works. No errors get thrown.

Then the application comes up with [FireDAC][Stan][Def]-254. Definition [MKAY] is not found in [C:\windows\FDConnectionDefs.ini]

The install did not install this file because I did not tell it to. If I install in manually then it still does not work. ( don't have the error right now ).
Back in the day I would have installed the BDE through the install software.

Do I have to run some kind of FireDAC install on the target machine?
What about Interbase?

I will retreat to my documentation again. I just hoped you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help so far.

John

quinn wildman wrote:
John MacDonald wrote:

Give us the exact error.

--
JMAC out
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02