Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: D7 apps hang if word "update" in exe name!

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Apr 1, 2018 4:12 PM Last Post By: Brent Rose
Brent Rose

D7 apps hang if word "update" in exe name!
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 27, 2018 6:16 PM
Needed to tweak an old D7 project (on Win10), but although it compiled OK and the exe ran outside the IDE, I found it hung the IDE every time it was run from there (before the main form even showed). I had to force a shut down from the OS.

During the very painful process of trying to find what was going on, I progressively stripped out all the innards from a copy of the project, before finally just using a fresh new project (with nothing in it)... and it still hung!! Finally, I got it working when I ended up renaming the project (although it took a while to discover this was the problem!!).

Long story short, any project with the word "update" anywhere in the name (MyUpdate.exe, UpdatedNow.exe, YourUpdater.exe etc etc) causes the hang. The same project saved under a project name without "update" in it works fine. There is no such problem in Tokyo at all. There was never any problem with D7 in the past.

During this process, I looked at my AV/Internet Security programme to see if there was a block of some sort on my original app (there was none that I could see), or if turning it off made any difference (it didn't). Given that the problem occurred only in the D7 IDE (fine running the D7 exe from the OS, fine running similar in the Tokyo IDE) this possibility doesn't fit too well anyway.

So - it is such a weird problem, I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has experienced similar, or has some suggestion as to why it occurs. Thanks.
Dave Nottage

Re: D7 apps hang if word "update" in exe name!
  Posted: Mar 27, 2018 10:13 PM   in response to: Brent Rose in response to: Brent Rose
So - it is such a weird problem, I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has experienced similar, or has some suggestion as to why it occurs. Thanks.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/1b316a7f-852e-4a71-89d3-090e45990f98/prevent-uac-elevation-prompt-with-program-named-install?forum=windowscompatibility

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Find hints tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Brent Rose

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 1:32 AM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Thanks Dave - that makes a lot more sense now. Don't know why I never
encountered it before... Will need to look at the fix more closely.

In the meantime, of course, I can just call my app something else :-)

On 28/03/2018 6:13 PM, Dave Nottage wrote:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/1b316a7f-852e-4a71-89d3-090e45990f98/prevent-uac-elevation-prompt-with-program-named-install?forum=windowscompatibility

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Find hints tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com

--
Brent Rose

Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 11:11 AM   in response to: Brent Rose in response to: Brent Rose
Brent Rose wrote:

The correct solution is to give your app a UAC manifest that has a
requestedExecutionLevel element in it. Then the filename will not
matter at all, and you can control whether your app wants to run with
admin rights or not.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Brent Rose

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 4:12 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
On 29/03/2018 7:11 AM, Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Brent Rose wrote:

The correct solution is to give your app a UAC manifest that has a
requestedExecutionLevel element in it. Then the filename will not
matter at all, and you can control whether your app wants to run with
admin rights or not.
Yes - have been looking into how to do that... Thanks. The rename is a
short term fudge :-)

--
Brent Rose
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02