Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Update to 10.2.3, now no JVCL

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Last Post: Mar 19, 2018 8:15 AM Last Post By: Trevor Bradley
Trevor Bradley

Update to 10.2.3, now no JVCL  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 17, 2018 4:28 AM
Hi All

Hope someone can help.

I was using 10.2.2 with the JVCL component library installed, which I did from the GetIt package manager. I use a couple of these components in some projects that have come through from older versions of Delphi.

I stupidly upgraded to 10.2.3 when it became available without thinking about it, mainly because I was quite excited by the announcement of the the free mobile add on pack fro the Professional version.

But now I am stumped. What happened was all seemed okay. Came to compile the project and it could not find some of the JVCL units. I just thought the easy way would be to uninstall and reinstall via GetIt in case something had changed and needed reinstalling which was also the case for another component suite but that happened in a more friendly manner.

So I removed the packaged from the IDE. Went to GetIt and they are no longer there! They were definitely there when I installed them for 10.2.2 because I used that and was surprised how easy it was.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I need to get these components reinstalled so I can continue on this project.

Hope someone can explain why they may not be on GetIt any longer and what I can do to get them back into the IDE in 10.2.3.

Many thanks

Trevor
David Taylor

Re: Update to 10.2.3, now no JVCL  
  Posted: Mar 17, 2018 4:58 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
On 17/03/2018 11:28, Trevor Bradley wrote:
Hi All

Hope someone can help.

I was using 10.2.2 with the JVCL component library installed, which I did from the GetIt package manager. I use a couple of these components in some projects that have come through from older versions of Delphi.

I stupidly upgraded to 10.2.3 when it became available without thinking about it, mainly because I was quite excited by the announcement of the the free mobile add on pack fro the Professional version.

But now I am stumped. What happened was all seemed okay. Came to compile the project and it could not find some of the JVCL units. I just thought the easy way would be to uninstall and reinstall via GetIt in case something had changed and needed reinstalling which was also the case for another component suite but that happened in a more friendly manner.

So I removed the packaged from the IDE. Went to GetIt and they are no longer there! They were definitely there when I installed them for 10.2.2 because I used that and was surprised how easy it was.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I need to get these components reinstalled so I can continue on this project.

Hope someone can explain why they may not be on GetIt any longer and what I can do to get them back into the IDE in 10.2.3.

Many thanks

Trevor

Oh, dear! I had hoped that the company (whatever it's called today) had
learnt their lesson about updates, but perhaps not. And they want to
charge me for breaking what worked?

--
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 5:56 AM   in response to: David Taylor in response to: David Taylor
Oh, dear! I had hoped that the company (whatever it's called today) had
learnt their lesson about updates, but perhaps not. And they want to
charge me for breaking what worked?

--
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

Yes, not what I was expecting. To be honest, for legacy reasons, I still use the faithful D2007 for most of the projects at work, just for legacy reasons.

For a few reasons, primarily Firedac, I decided to port a couple of projects to Tokyo 10.2.2. We are on a maintenance programme so always have the latest version and I have used it for other things. But these ported projects needed the JVCL library. I was a little concerned these might not be available for Tokyo. So was delighted to find they were. And all installed and all compiled nicely. I was pleased!

But then...... got the email about the 10.2.3 update but thought I would leave that a bit. Then the next e-mail..... Free Mobile Add On Pack for Pro users. Wow! Had been really wanting to do some mobile app stuff for work (internal stuff). So time to upgrade to 10.2.3 and install Add In pack. In my rush, didn't think of any consequences. Or that there might even be any issues. During install I did start to wonder..... unistalling old version and reinstalling. It asked to uninstall a separate component package, but nothing about the JVCL stuff. So never thought twice.

So did the update, loaded the project and compiled and then the problems started. Missing JVCL files. So (as I mentioned earlier) just thought unistall JVCL and reinstall from GetIt. Nope! Now not there.

So I now have projects ported from D2007 to 10.2.2 with extra work down in that IDE and now all that work is wasted as I cannot use the JVCL components required and no apparent way to reinstall JVCL from GetIt,

So I guess this is of my own doing wanting to see the mobile add on pack...... Curiosity killed the cat. In my case.

At the end of the day, it just seemed a minor update. It wasn't even like 10 to 11 or 10.2 to 10.3. This was a minor 10.2.2 to 10.2.3 which should have no issues, yet it has caused me issues and time now.

Sorry for the rant! I was just hoping someone had had the same issue and knew a workaround/fix.

Trevor
Alan Marryat

Helpful
  Posted: Mar 17, 2018 7:59 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
You can definitely install JVCL and JCL. From project jedi on sourceforge. That's how I did it, and I still have it on 10.2.3. So when I upgraded, I didn't lose any of that. It was still there.

Trevor Bradley wrote:
Hi All

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Trevor

Edited by: Alan Marryat on Mar 17, 2018 10:59 AM
Andreas Hausladen

Re: Update to 10.2.3, now no JVCL [Edit]
Correct
  Posted: Mar 17, 2018 1:58 PM   in response to: Alan Marryat in response to: Alan Marryat
Alan Marryat wrote:

From project jedi on sourceforge.

The JEDI projects moved to GitHub years ago.

JCL: https://github.com/project-jedi/jcl
JVCL: https://github.com/project-jedi/jvcl

--
Andreas Hausladen

Stein Oiestad

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 7:12 AM   in response to: Andreas Hausladen in response to: Andreas Hausladen
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Alan Marryat wrote:

From project jedi on sourceforge.

The JEDI projects moved to GitHub years ago.

JCL: https://github.com/project-jedi/jcl
JVCL: https://github.com/project-jedi/jvcl

--
Andreas Hausladen

When installed through GetIt, both JCL and JVCL was installed OK.
I downloaded both using GIT to folders:

e:\Delphi\Jedi\JCL
e:\Delphi\Jedi\JVCL

The installer show only JCL, and JVCL was not installed into Delphi IDE.

Any advice on what I did wrong and how to do it right ??

Thanks for any answer.

Edited by: Stein Oiestad on Mar 19, 2018 7:12 AM
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 7:53 AM   in response to: Stein Oiestad in response to: Stein Oiestad
When installed through GetIt, both JCL and JVCL was installed OK.
I downloaded both using GIT to folders:

e:\Delphi\Jedi\JCL
e:\Delphi\Jedi\JVCL

The installer show only JCL, and JVCL was not installed into Delphi IDE.

Any advice on what I did wrong and how to do it right ??

Thanks for any answer.

Edited by: Stein Oiestad on Mar 19, 2018 7:12 AM

I am not in front of my PC at the moment where Tokyo is installed, so hope I can remember.

But you also need to download the jedi.inc file (from here: https://github.com/project-jedi/jedi) and put this in jcl\jcl\source\include\jedi directory before things will work.

Then install JCL first. I don't know if it matters which way, but I did JCL first as I think it installs some dependent code. Run the install batch file in the JCL directory. This fires up the GUI installer. Select what you want to install and away you go. Let this finish.

Then you can do the same with the JVCL. Run the install batch file from the JVCL directory. This also fires up the GUI installer for the JVCL. Same as above, select the versions to install and it should be okay.

To be honest, once I knew (with advice here) where to get the JCL and JVCL downloads, I didn't have any issues except downloading the jedi.inc file which I just originally forgot about.

I would guess it is best to do this with the IDE not running.

Hope that helps.

Trevor

Edited by: Trevor Bradley on Mar 19, 2018 7:54 AM

Edited by: Trevor Bradley on Mar 19, 2018 8:01 AM
Stein Oiestad

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 8:10 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Then you can do the same with the JVCL. Run the install batch file from the JVCL directory.
This also fires up the GUI installer for the JVCL.
Got it - quite stupid of me, but I thought the JVL installer detected and installed both based on folders.

I missed the 'v' letter below...

Start the jVcl\install.bat

Thanks a lot!

-stein
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 8:15 AM   in response to: Stein Oiestad in response to: Stein Oiestad
Stein Oiestad wrote:
Got it - quite stupid of me, but I thought the JVL installer detected and installed both based on folders.

I missed the 'v' letter below...

Start the jVcl\install.bat

Thanks a lot!

-stein

No problem :)

Trevor
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 3:51 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Thanks everyone for your help.

"Way back when" I installed for D2007, I think that was from Sourceforge. I did see it on GitHub now. But it was on GetIt and it just seemed so easy to install.

I will try the GitHub install and see what happens and post back here.

Thanks again

Trevor
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 4:18 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Just installed from GitHub.

That was kind of easier than I remember it was before. But all up and working. So thanks for all your help regarding this.

For my own future reference, I dived into this a bit where maybe I should have taken more care. Should I have used the migration tool? Would that have carried over the components I lost? Or is it really just a case of starting the components all over again even though this is a minor update? Just so I know for future. I haven't needed to worry before as I didn't have any components installed except the standard ones until I ported the projects.

Many thanks again

Trevor
Lajos Juhasz

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 11:59 PM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Trevor Bradley wrote:

Just installed from GitHub.

That was kind of easier than I remember it was before. But all up and
working. So thanks for all your help regarding this.

For my own future reference, I dived into this a bit where maybe I
should have taken more care. Should I have used the migration tool?
Would that have carried over the components I lost? Or is it really
just a case of starting the components all over again even though
this is a minor update? Just so I know for future. I haven't needed
to worry before as I didn't have any components installed except the
standard ones until I ported the projects.

Many thanks again

Trevor

Usually when you upgrade for a minor version leave the registry and
third party components and install the new version. That way you loose
nothing. A minor version should not break any interface and
components should just work after the install (it was broken in a
couple of cases).
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 1:56 AM   in response to: Lajos Juhasz in response to: Lajos Juhasz
Usually when you upgrade for a minor version leave the registry and
third party components and install the new version. That way you loose
nothing. A minor version should not break any interface and
components should just work after the install (it was broken in a
couple of cases).

I am pretty sure I selected the correct option. It could be that I didn't, so I will be careful of that next time.

Many thanks

Trevor
Trevor Bradley

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 1:57 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Thanks once again everyone for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Have marked as answered.

Trevor
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02