Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Source control changes affecting IDE - Not compiling correct files

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Mar 5, 2018 7:21 AM Last Post By: paul mason
paul mason

Source control changes affecting IDE - Not compiling correct files
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 2, 2018 10:06 AM
For many years my predecessors, long since vanished, have been conducting work with one folder ( ..\MyProduct\RAD ). I know find it necessary to have my code organised into three folders, a live folder ( ..\MyProduct\RAD), a development folder ( ..\MyProduct\RAD_Development) and a hotfix folder ( ..\MyProduct\RAD_HotFix). So, in source control I branched the \RAD project to \RAD_Development and \RAD_HotFix projects, opened the two projects, changed the library paths to reflect the change and then changed the DCU output directories in each project in the project group and saved.

After having done some work in the development project when I build that project I find there are certain references to classes that won't compile/build because the IDE is trying to compile the file in the original \RAD folder, not the one that has been changed in the \RAD_Development folder. This only seems to affect calls to classes that are defined in .PAS files that are only connected to other projects in the project group. I still don't know why projects are not self contained and allow us to "use" classes defined in other projects...it's a recipe for chaos.

I am hoping this is some sort of directory location setting that I have missed (??)
paul mason

Re: Source control changes affecting IDE - Not compiling correct files
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 5, 2018 7:21 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
It was indeed a directory location that I missed. But because the library paths are global variables I have to change them every time I work on a different project.

I need to experiment with the Project search path options in combination with the global library paths. Is there any way of setting these search paths for the Project group?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02