Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Search does not work

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Dec 29, 2017 12:56 AM Last Post By: Roy Lambert
Mark Wallin

Search does not work  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 26, 2017 6:22 PM
I have just tried to search for a topic in this forum and it doesn't appear to work. Is it just me?
Mark Wallin

Re: Search does not work  
  Posted: Dec 26, 2017 7:17 PM   in response to: Mark Wallin in response to: Mark Wallin
Mark Wallin wrote:
I have just tried to search for a topic in this forum and it doesn't appear to work. Is it just me?
Apparently it isn't just me. This was reported on Dec. 6 and verified. Of course, I couldn't know this from the forum search (the old catch-22).

It certainly is not a glowing recommendation for Embarcadero products (sigh!). Some companies just don't get it.
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 9:48 PM   in response to: Mark Wallin in response to: Mark Wallin
On 12/26/2017 10:17 PM, Mark Wallin wrote:
Mark Wallin wrote:
Apparently it isn't just me. This was reported on Dec. 6 and verified. Of course, I couldn't know this from the forum search (the old catch-22).

It certainly is not a glowing recommendation for Embarcadero products (sigh!). Some companies just don't get it.

Jive (this news server) is not an Embarcadero product.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
Markus Humm

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 1:56 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Am 27.12.2017 um 06:48 schrieb Jeff Overcash (TeamB):
On 12/26/2017 10:17 PM, Mark Wallin wrote:
Mark Wallin wrote:

Jive (this news server) is not an Embarcadero product.

Yes, but I'd still favour that EMBT shuts down the new forums, puts
these into place where the new ones currently are, does a little bit of
design works so that the web frontent looks a bit mire modern and
invests a bit of time into maintenance of these forums so that things
like search do work as intended again.

Greetings

Markus
Roy Lambert

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 2:10 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Jeff

Your statement is 100% correct but it 100% misses the point. These newsgroups are seen to a large extent as Embarcadero's public face (and yes I know they don't frequent them and its a user supported forum) and an expression of how they value their customers.

It could also be regarded as a comment on their attitude to quality.

Roy Lambert

Dan Barclay

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 2:45 PM   in response to: Roy Lambert in response to: Roy Lambert
Roy Lambert wrote:
Jeff

Your statement is 100% correct but it 100% misses the point. These newsgroups are seen to a large extent as Embarcadero's public face (and yes I know they don't frequent them and its a user supported forum) and an expression of how they value their customers.

It could also be regarded as a comment on their attitude to quality.

There have been a number of serious issues with these newsgroups, particularly in recent years. The list is long and distinguished.

It's much better, performance an utility wise now, but some things don't work. Reasons, reasons... they pretty much don't matter to most of us but there are some.

The good news is that they have done some good making it more stable and retaining earlier content. So, we do workarounds for things like search. Try google and, after your search words, use site:forums.embarcadero.com

Dan
Roy Lambert

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 1:45 AM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Dan

It's much better, performance an utility wise now, but some things don't work. Reasons, reasons... they pretty much don't matter to most of us but there are some.

At least its not been off air as much recently.

Roy
Dan Barclay

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 4:13 PM   in response to: Roy Lambert in response to: Roy Lambert
Roy Lambert wrote:
Dan

Shhhhhh! We don't want to cause any perturbations in The Force.

Yea, some time back it was pretty ugly. Then they try springing the stupid "community" crA# that's completely unusable for support. There is good forum software available, but apparently none that support both webby and nntp which appears to be a hard constraint.

Dan
Roy Lambert

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 12:56 AM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Dan

Shhhhhh! We don't want to cause any perturbations in The Force.

<chuckle>

Yea, some time back it was pretty ugly. Then they try springing the stupid "community" crA# that's completely unusable for support. There is good forum software available, but apparently none that support both webby and nntp which appears to be a hard constraint.

You missed the other constraint for the webby stuff - must look pretty and have icons and an incredibly customisable UI and require you to be logged in 24/7, and loose posts somewhere along the line, or is that FaceBook?

Roy

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02