Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi 5 form anomaly in Windows 10

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Dec 8, 2017 1:31 PM Last Post By: Mark Wallin
Mark Wallin

Delphi 5 form anomaly in Windows 10
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 26, 2017 2:19 PM
I am supporting a Delphi 5 application in Windows 10. I have noticed a strange anomaly: Some forms have what looks like a gray frame bordering the form while others do not. The ones with the 'gray' frame do not behave normally within the IDE and while running: when the cursor is over what is the minimize button on the title bar, the tool tip identifies it as the 'maximize' button and the 'maximize' button is identified as the 'close' button. When the minimize button is pressed, the 'maximize' button reacts but nothing happens to the form. Likewise, when the 'maximize' button is pressed, the 'close' button reacts but nothing happens. When the 'close' button is pressed, the form closes as expected. When the forms that do not have the 'frame' around them are tested, they work normally.

What is the 'frame' that appears around some of the forms? It is not apparent whether there is some property set that is causing this behavior in some forms and not others. This behavior was not present in Windows 7. It began when, in a moment of weakness, I allowed MS to upgrade my W7 installation via download. I have searched online and have not seen this behavior reported: surely I can't be the only one who has observed this, or maybe I am as there are not many user still using Delphi 5. This behavior occurs both within the IDE and also when running the compiled application in Windows 10. My Windows 10 installation has the latest updates as far as I know.

This application cannot be run using later versions of Delphi due to one vital reporting component that is limited to D5; it eventually will be replaced to remove that limitation but for now I am stuck until the client finances the upgrade.

Has anybody seen this behavior for Delphi 5 under Windows 10?
John David

Re: Delphi 5 form anomaly in Windows 10
  Posted: Nov 26, 2017 11:04 PM   in response to: Mark Wallin in response to: Mark Wallin
On 26/11/2017 22:19, Mark Wallin wrote:
I am supporting a Delphi 5 application in Windows 10. I have noticed a strange anomaly: Some forms have what looks like a gray frame bordering the form while others do not. The ones with the 'gray' frame do not behave normally within the IDE and while running: when the cursor is over what is the minimize button on the title bar, the tool tip identifies it as the 'maximize' button and the 'maximize' button is identified as the 'close' button. When the minimize button is pressed, the 'maximize' button r
eacts but nothing happens to the form. Likewise, when the 'maximize' button is pressed, the 'close' button reacts but nothing happens. When the 'close' button is pressed, the form closes as expected. When the forms that do not have the 'frame' around them are tested, they work normally.

What is the 'frame' that appears around some of the forms? It is not apparent whether there is some property set that is causing this behavior in some forms and not others. This behavior was not present in Windows 7. It began when, in a moment of weakness, I allowed MS to upgrade my W7 installation via download. I have searched online and have not seen this behavior reported: surely I can't be the only one who has observed this, or maybe I am as there are not many user still using Delphi 5. This beha
vior occurs both within the IDE and also when running the compiled application in Windows 10. My Windows 10 installation has the latest updates as far as I know.

This application cannot be run using later versions of Delphi due to one vital reporting component that is limited to D5; it eventually will be replaced to remove that limitation but for now I am stuck until the client finances the upgrade.

Has anybody seen this behavior for Delphi 5 under Windows 10?

I don't use Delphi 5 but have you thought of creating the same form
again to see if this problem still persists? Just a thought!.

This then will give you a better chance of seeing what is causing the
problem.

Justin Case

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 10:53 AM   in response to: Mark Wallin in response to: Mark Wallin
Mark Wallin wrote:
I am supporting a Delphi 5 application in Windows 10. I have noticed a strange anomaly: Some forms have what looks like a gray frame bordering the form while others do not. The ones with the 'gray' frame do not behave normally within the IDE and while running: when the cursor is over what is the minimize button on the title bar, the tool tip identifies it as the 'maximize' button and the 'maximize' button is identified as the 'close' button. When the minimize button is pressed, the 'maximize' button reacts but nothing happens to the form. Likewise, when the 'maximize' button is pressed, the 'close' button reacts but nothing happens. When the 'close' button is pressed, the form closes as expected. When the forms that do not have the 'frame' around them are tested, they work normally.

Wow, I've still been using D6 and thought I was the last one to be using an early version!

I have a similar glitch in D6 but not the same icon issues you describe. It seems to be that the newer versions of windows don't work with the old Win95/95/NT/Me forms due to the graphics differences. What i've found is that if i make the form slightly bigger in the IDE it then displays properly on modern OS's.

Don't ask me why, i've no idea but give that a go.
Mark Wallin

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 1:31 PM   in response to: Justin Case in response to: Justin Case
Justin Case wrote:
Mark Wallin wrote:

Wow, I've still been using D6 and thought I was the last one to be using an early version!

I have a similar glitch in D6 but not the same icon issues you describe. It seems to be that the newer versions of windows don't work with the old Win95/95/NT/Me forms due to the graphics differences. What i've found is that if i make the form slightly bigger in the IDE it then displays properly on modern OS's.

Don't ask me why, i've no idea but give that a go.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Justin, but the rendering of the form is not the problem I am describing, although I have noticed some discrepancies with W10 vs. earlier versions such as 7. As this glitch is not a show stopper at present, I am putting this on the back burner. My client is still using W7, I believe, and I don't know when they are planning an upgrade. The client is a bank, and you know how quick they are to move to anything new unless they can make a lot of profit. I believe if it hadn't been for the fact they were panicked over the end of support for XP, they would have stuck with it until the end of time, along with the never updated Delphi 1 application. As my current update request progressed, I had to dig much deeper into the code than I had done previously and realized how primitive and convoluted it was, not to mention the messy design of the Paradox database. The in-house programmer that had previously supported it was kicked upstairs and apparently doesn't want to deal with it any longer. A big chunk of the existing code is designed around formGenWin, a old component that has been abandoned since 2005 (D5). That will have to be completely re-written in the future. As the application is a pension plan management system with a fair number of governmental agency customers, they either have to re-write it or give up what I am guessing is a lucrative business.

I don't know how many other people there are who are willing to support a Delphi application of this vintage. I really should be charging them a lot more money for this work, but I am just a pushover and don't have any other lucrative work to do and am not really interested in learning a new development language (I am well past retirement age).
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02