Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: F1 doesn't get appropriate help

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Dec 9, 2017 1:07 AM Last Post By: Mike Versteeg Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Keith Dopson

F1 doesn't get appropriate help
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 30, 2017 2:42 PM
In the IDE, I place the cursor on a VCL function name and press F1 hoping to get the help for the function, showing function parameter types, and return type.
Instead, I get a useless help screen showing how to use the Code Editor. I know how to use the Code Editor.

This is Seattle 10.1.

Anyone know how to get the F1 keystroke to provide useful help for the VCL function name the cursor is on top of?

TIA

ps: ignored in the "community" forum
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: F1 doesn't get appropriate help
  Posted: Nov 30, 2017 3:15 PM   in response to: Keith Dopson in response to: Keith Dopson
Keith Dopson wrote:

Anyone know how to get the F1 keystroke to provide useful help for
the VCL function name the cursor is on top of?

Good luck. F1 hasn't worked very well like that in a long time.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Mike Versteeg

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 2:43 AM   in response to: Keith Dopson in response to: Keith Dopson
Anyone know how to get the F1 keystroke to provide useful help for the VCL function name the cursor is on top of?

Your best chance is to open a bug report in quality control (or whatever they call it now). Post a link here and I'll add my vote for sure!
Keith Dopson

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 4:57 PM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Your best chance is to open a bug report in quality control (or whatever they call it now). Post a link here and I'll add my vote for sure!

Here it is, Mike:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-15110?filter=-2

June 2016

Nothing done, apparently nobody knows how this IDE actually works. One year, five months, no fix. Gee... world class, eh?
Mike Versteeg

Posted: Dec 9, 2017 1:07 AM   in response to: Keith Dopson in response to: Keith Dopson
Keith Dopson wrote:
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Here it is, Mike:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-15110?filter=-2

June 2016

Nothing done, apparently nobody knows how this IDE actually works. One year, five months, no fix. Gee... world class, eh?

Done. Funny read btw, there's an issue with the help? What?! I've asked so many times if anyone who works on this product actually uses it..
Goran Ekstrom

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 1:25 PM   in response to: Keith Dopson in response to: Keith Dopson
Keith Dopson wrote:
In the IDE, I place the cursor on a VCL function name and press F1 hoping to get the help for the function, showing function parameter types, and return type.
Instead, I get a useless help screen showing how to use the Code Editor. I know how to use the Code Editor.

This is Seattle 10.1.

Best help was in BCB5 and for anyone still having those help files they are still very useful. In the recent versions Help is very basic and hit-and-miss; for some things it is there, for other it is not. I find you often need to do some digging; searching offline help and RAD Studio Wiki, using Google and this forum together with the header files usually provides a solution.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02