Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Memory Requirements and Performance in VM's

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 1:04 AM Last Post By: Matthew Jones
Alan Colburn

Memory Requirements and Performance in VM's  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 20, 2017 11:28 AM
I've got a semi-old Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM. I'm curious if anyone knows the kind of performance I might expect if I put Delphi 10.x in a Win10 virtual machine (VirtualBox) with Mac OS X as host, probably devoting 2GB to the VM. Do you think this arrangement would be interminably slow for developing OS X apps (or, possibly, iOS)?

Thanks, as always! -- Al
Matthew Jones

Re: Memory Requirements and Performance in VM's
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 23, 2017 1:04 AM   in response to: Alan Colburn in response to: Alan Colburn
Alan Colburn wrote:

I've got a semi-old Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM. I'm curious if anyone knows the kind of performance I might expect if I put Delphi 10.x in a Win10 virtual machine (VirtualBox) with Mac OS X as host, probably devoting 2GB to the VM. Do you think this arrangement would be interminably slow for developing OS X apps (or, possibly, iOS)?

Hmm, I think it might be workable, but with a view to upgrading later. Slightly depends on that "semi-old" aspect - the model before the current one (already 3 years since last update) was a core i7 capable machine, and that is able to handle the VMs just fine. The question would mainly be memory IMO - you might need to upgrade so you can give the VM some headroom. But VMWare Fusion is very good at not actually using all the memory you allocate, or something - not sure but it never seems to be using as much as I allocated.

And of course it also comes down to what sort of performance you expect. I used to do Delphi on a 2GB Windows laptop and it often sat swapping to disk, but I achieved useful work.

Finally, since I mainly want full Windows compatibility, I use a Windows keyboard on my Mac, so that I am 100% compatible. With Fusion in a workspace, I can swipe between the Mac and Windows using a gesture on the touch-pad, and get the best of both worlds.

Matthew
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02