Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Issues with 14.2.1

Permlink Replies: 14 - Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 6:29 AM Last Post By: Chad Hower
Magnus Oskarsson

Issues with 14.2.1
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 25, 2017 7:17 AM
Hi! I am currently trying to upgrade our web applications from 14.0.63 to 14.2.1, but I have run into a couple of issues when testing with IE11 on Win7:

1. When the server application (IW standalone) has just been started and you start the first session, the first page (which is a login page) fires an async timer in order to fill in stored login details, but these are never shown in the browser and buttons do not work. You have to make a browser refresh in order to get the saved login details and have the buttons working again. If you cancel the session and starts a new one from the same browser tab, you don't get this behavior again.
2. On some pages, there are some combinations of user actions (such as first playing an audio file and then clicking on a row in a grid, or first generating and downloading an Excel file and then a PDF file) that shows a white page starting with
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Connection: keep-alive Content-Type: application/pdf; charset=UTF-8 Content-Length: 5290...

rather than rendering the actual page. If you refresh the page you sometimes get the expected page displayed again, sometimes just a white blank page.

Has anyone seen something like this with newer IW versions? So far, I have not been able to reproduce it in my local development environment, only in a "production test environment" where I access the web application via an external https URL. I have made a couple of tests with Chrome as well, but I have not seen the problems there. Any ideas on how to analyse the problems further?

Best regards

Magnus Oskarsson
Alexandre Machado

Re: Issues with 14.2.1
  Posted: Sep 28, 2017 12:19 PM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
Hi! I am currently trying to upgrade our web applications from 14.0.63 to 14.2.1, but I have run into a couple of issues when testing with IE11 on Win7:

1. When the server application (IW standalone) has just been started and you start the first session, the first page (which is a login page) fires an async timer in order to fill in stored login details, but these are never shown in the browser and buttons do not work. You have to make a browser refresh in order to get the saved login details and have the buttons working again. If you cancel the session and starts a new one from the same browser tab, you don't get this behavior again.
2. On some pages, there are some combinations of user actions (such as first playing an audio file and then clicking on a row in a grid, or first generating and downloading an Excel file and then a PDF file) that shows a white page starting with
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Connection: keep-alive Content-Type: application/pdf; charset=UTF-8 Content-Length: 5290...

rather than rendering the actual page. If you refresh the page you sometimes get the expected page displayed again, sometimes just a white blank page.

Has anyone seen something like this with newer IW versions? So far, I have not been able to reproduce it in my local development environment, only in a "production test environment" where I access the web application via an external https URL. I have made a couple of tests with Chrome as well, but I have not seen the problems there. Any ideas on how to analyse the problems further?

Best regards

Magnus Oskarsson

Have you checked for HTTP errors (404, etc) using Browser dev tools (F12)?

We have changed a few things regarding which URLs are legitimate ways to start a new session and it might affect a few applications (the ones that have been mistakenly creating new sessions to get content from server, like images, sound, video, etc). Maybe that's your case?
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 8:06 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Hi Alexandre and thanks for getting back. I have replied to the mail you sent as well with more details, let me know if you did not get these replies.

As for the problems, I have tried to repeat them in a smaller test application but without luck so far. When I run the web application on the test server as a standalone application and access it via https, I can repeat the problems every time. If I access it via http I do not get the problems, nor do I get them if I run the web application as a standalone service (also with https). Note that these are just observations; I am not saying that the root of the problem necessarily has to do with "running as application with https".

Best regards

Magnus Oskarsson
Chad Hower

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 11:46 AM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
On 10/2/2017 11:06 AM, Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
on the test server as a standalone application and access it via
https, I can repeat the problems every time. If I access it via http
I do not get the problems, nor do I get them if I run the web

I think we may have a lead on this based on some details sent from
another customer. If its the same, it is SSL related.
Alexandre Machado

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 1:08 PM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
Hi Alexandre and thanks for getting back. I have replied to the mail you sent as well with more details, let me know if you did not get these replies.

As for the problems, I have tried to repeat them in a smaller test application but without luck so far. When I run the web application on the test server as a standalone application and access it via https, I can repeat the problems every time. If I access it via http I do not get the problems, nor do I get them if I run the web application as a standalone service (also with https). Note that these are just observations; I am not saying that the root of the problem necessarily has to do with "running as application with https".

Best regards

Magnus Oskarsson

Hi Magnus,

have you updated your OpenSSL DLLs recently? We have 2 SSL related reports recently but, from IW side, nothing related to HTTPS has actually changed. Most low level SSL stuff is handled by Indy and Open SSL and we didn't touch thes areas.
I'm setting up a SSL environment and I'll run some tests. I should have some more information soon.

Kind regards
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 11:55 PM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Alexandre Machado wrote:

have you updated your OpenSSL DLLs recently? We have 2 SSL related reports recently but, from IW side, nothing related to HTTPS has actually changed. Most low level SSL stuff is handled by Indy and Open SSL and we didn't touch thes areas.
I'm setting up a SSL environment and I'll run some tests. I should have some more information soon.
We are running 1.0.2l (the latest afaik).
Chad Hower

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 6:16 AM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
On 10/3/2017 2:55 AM, Magnus Oskarsson wrote:

Since you can repro the issue, can you try backing down one OpenSSL version?
Chad Hower

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 7:48 AM   in response to: Chad Hower in response to: Chad Hower
On 10/3/2017 9:16 AM, Chad Hower wrote:

The other user was using h, so please go up the tree quite far, then
move up if the jump fixes it.
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 12:05 AM   in response to: Chad Hower in response to: Chad Hower
Chad Hower wrote:
On 10/3/2017 9:16 AM, Chad Hower wrote:

The other user was using h, so please go up the tree quite far, then
move up if the jump fixes it.

I have now tried with OpenSSL 1.0.2 versions l, k, g and d, and also 1.0.1p. I have the errors in all these versions, so it does not seem OpenSSL version dependent.

/Magnus
Chad Hower

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 8:29 AM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
On 10/4/2017 3:05 AM, Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
I have now tried with OpenSSL 1.0.2 versions l, k, g and d, and also
1.0.1p. I have the errors in all these versions, so it does not seem
OpenSSL version dependent.

Alexandre reported to me some progress on the SSL issue. I will report
more shortly I hope.
Chad Hower

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 3:21 PM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
On 10/4/2017 3:05 AM, Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
I have now tried with OpenSSL 1.0.2 versions l, k, g and d, and also
1.0.1p. I have the errors in all these versions, so it does not seem
OpenSSL version dependent.

Does the server or client have ESET Internet Protection installed?
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 11:35 PM   in response to: Chad Hower in response to: Chad Hower
Chad Hower wrote:

Does the server or client have ESET Internet Protection installed?

No. The server (Win2012) has no antivirus/malware at all except Windows Defender. My machine has AVG Antivirus, but I have repeated the issue with the browser (IE) on the server as well, so this should not be the issue.

P.S. I have given Alexandre URL + login credentials to the web application in question via mail. Have you been able to repeat my test sequence with an IE 11 browser?

Edited by: Magnus Oskarsson on Oct 8, 2017 11:36 PM
Chad Hower

Re: Issues with 14.2.1 [Edit]
  Posted: Oct 9, 2017 6:29 AM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
On 10/9/2017 2:38 AM, Magnus Oskarsson wrote:
P.S. I have given Alexandre URL + login credentials to the web
application in question via mail. Have you been able to repeat my
test sequence with an IE 11 browser?

As per your other reply, I see this is solved now.
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 4:22 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Alexandre Machado wrote:

Hi Magnus,

I can share some other tests I have made: I tried with a couple of other IW versions that I had archived: IW 14.1.8 and IW 14.1.4. The problem exists there as well so it seems to be an issue introduced with 14.1 rather than with 14.2 (we did not attempt to upgrade from 14.0.63 until now since we waited for some security features that came in 14.2.1).

A note (I am unsure if it is of interest): we have a small patch in the IW.Server.HTTPIndy unit to allow for custom placement and filenames for the certificate files. For each test I have of course made sure to include our patch into the correct version from the IW source. I saw that there were changes in this unit between 14.0.63 and 14.1.4, and some additional changes between 14.1.8 (which has the same version as 14.1.4) and 14.2.1. I hope this gives you some more clues as to what might be the source.

Best regards

Magnus Oskarsson
Magnus Oskarsson

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 1:58 AM   in response to: Magnus Oskarsson in response to: Magnus Oskarsson
I got a preview of the 14.2.2 release and it seems to solve our problems. Great work, thank you!
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02