Help

Thread: C++ Builder Free (RADS 10.2) and FireMonkey Questions

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Dec 1, 2017 10:45 AM Last Post By: Ulmo Voda
Ulmo Voda

C++ Builder Free (RADS 10.2) and FireMonkey Questions
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2017 6:16 AM
Hello,
I discover the C++ Builder and FireMonkey for UI which is something like WPF (information from embarcadero site). And this another emarcadero forum. I copy paste from previous forum with and extend it with new questions.

1. Is FireMonkey inside free C++ Builder full FireMonkey or it is limited?
2. How good is FireMonkey? It is really like WPF? Can FM(FireMonkey) render full vector graphic with all effects (blur, shadows, gradients, etc..) ?
3. can be FM used inside OpenGL or DirectX, for game UI or used as VSTi (virtual instruments / effects) interface?
4. when I create something with C++ Builder free, can I later upgrade it to Professional version and then release my app with 64bit version?
5. It is possible use other libraries with FM and C++ Builder? For example some graphics libraries or audio libraries.
6. Last, can I use VS 2105 CE for application code and C++ Builder (RADStudio) for GUI design? Is it possible, and if yes what are options?
Thanks

Edited by: Ulmo Voda on Sep 23, 2017 6:16 AM
bernard roussely

Re: C++ Builder Free (RADS 10.2) and FireMonkey Questions
  Posted: Sep 29, 2017 4:22 AM   in response to: Ulmo Voda in response to: Ulmo Voda
Hi Ulmo,

As nobody seems to take a chance, here are a few answers:

1. Is FireMonkey inside free C++ Builder full FireMonkey or it is limited?
Starter editions are limited to Windows 32 applications.

2. How good is FireMonkey? It is really like WPF? Can FM(FireMonkey) render full vector graphic with all effects (blur, shadows, gradients, etc..) ?
Whether it is good or bad is a personal matter. See http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/en/FireMonkey

3. can be FM used inside OpenGL or DirectX, for game UI or used as VSTi (virtual instruments / effects) interface?
It is rather the other way around and needs some testing for each scenario (you can find OpenGL and DirectX examples in blog posts - http://www.fmxexpress.com/tag/directx/).

4. when I create something with C++ Builder free, can I later upgrade it to Professional version and then release my app with 64bit version?
Yes, the code doesn't change. However the 64 bit compiler is more demanding than the 32 bit one and you may have to adjust your code. I like to 64 bit compiler better although it is about 10 times slower than the 32 bit one and there are some libraries you can't statically bind.

5. It is possible use other libraries with FM and C++ Builder? For example some graphics libraries or audio libraries.
As much as you want albeit with not-always-minor adaptations (assuming you can compile the lib C/C++ source code).

6. Last, can I use VS 2105 CE for application code and C++ Builder (RADStudio) for GUI design? Is it possible, and if yes what are options?
Possibly, but that would be counter productive for GUI design.

Best of luck,
bernard
Ulmo Voda

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 4:33 AM   in response to: bernard roussely in response to: bernard roussely
thanks for answers.
bernard roussely wrote:
Possibly, but that would be counter productive for GUI design.
Maybe, but I like developing in VS, but C++ Builder GUI designer looks very good for C++ GUI. Is possible create FireMonkey UI for application as DLL and use it in VS? I mean, UI for application will be designed and coded in C++ Builder and exported as DLL, and used in VS.
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 9:30 AM   in response to: Ulmo Voda in response to: Ulmo Voda
Ulmo Voda wrote:

Is possible create FireMonkey UI for application as DLL and use it in
VS? I mean, UI for application will be designed and coded in C++
Builder and exported as DLL, and used in VS.

I would probably go the other way. Create a VCL/FMX GUI app, and
export the VS business logic as a DLL.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Ulmo Voda

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 10:45 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Thanks, I found better solution.
I only add cpp and h files in to Firemonkey project and I am done :). I am using only std (in VS project).
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02