Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Windows API-core localization missing error

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Aug 31, 2017 8:32 AM Last Post By: Paul Jackson
Paul Jackson

Windows API-core localization missing error  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 25, 2017 10:15 AM
Attachment error.jpg (33.2 KB)
Does anyone know why I would be getting this error when running my program on Windows 7. It runs fine on Win 10, but not on Win 7. Obviously there is a missing .dll but why? Is there any information documented anywhere that might help me better understand these type of problems when creating software for distribution.

I'm using C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo mobile/Firedac.

See attached image please.

--
-Paul
Peter Below

Re: Windows API-core localization missing error  
  Posted: Aug 26, 2017 1:38 AM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Paul Jackson wrote:

Does anyone know why I would be getting this error when running my
program on Windows 7. It runs fine on Win 10, but not on Win 7.
Obviously there is a missing .dll but why? Is there any information
documented anywhere that might help me better understand these type
of problems when creating software for distribution.

Delphi Seattle, Berlin, and Tokyo include a number of UI components
that are specific for Windows 10. Have you perhaps used one of those in
your application?

--
Peter Below
TeamB
Malcolm Taylor

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 9:42 AM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter Below wrote:

that are specific for Windows 10. Have you perhaps used one of those
in your application?

Peter, you seem to imply that those components will not work in older
versions of Windows. But the Seattle notes say "These controls are made
specifically for Windows 10, but support all Windows versions".

Google gives several hits for this dll being missing. But I don't use
C++ so my eyes glazed over when looking for a solution. :(
Paul Jackson

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 12:58 PM   in response to: Malcolm Taylor in response to: Malcolm Taylor
Hi Malcolm and Peter,

Thank you both for replying. Yes, you would think that the components would work under Windows 7 as well, especially since, as Malcolm wrote, components are supposed too support all current Windows versions. I do understand that there may be certain components that may be specific to a given OS, however, I'm only using the most basic components to test for a large program that I'm preparing to undertake.

So I'm using FDConnection, FDQuery, DBGrid, a few TButtons, to control the connection, and TLabels. That's it. Works great on Windows 10, but Windows 7, not! I must admit that it is very disheartening that a program as simple as a form with the components described fails due to some obscure Windows DLL.

When I search on it, I see a bunch of junk as well. So... what is the solution, I haven't figured it out yet. I'll post when I find a confident solution.

Finally, as a side note this post, when I first built the program it failed to run on other WIn 10 machines. I ended up having to use InstallAware's Scan feature to actually gather a "Whole" bunch of other DLL's. These other DLL's were NOT listed in the package dependencies shown in the IDE's Information Dialog. And they were "required" for the program to run on a different Windows 10 machine that my build box too!

So somewhere there needs to be a more discussion on the requirements for deploying VCL applications other than the list in radstudio_deploy_XX.htm file, as most of the files InstallAware gathered are not referenced in Embarcadero's documentation? I can list the names of those DLL's if anyone is interested, but it is a long list.

Thank you.

Malcolm Taylor wrote:
Peter Below wrote:

that are specific for Windows 10. Have you perhaps used one of those
in your application?

Peter, you seem to imply that those components will not work in older
versions of Windows. But the Seattle notes say "These controls are made
specifically for Windows 10, but support all Windows versions".

Google gives several hits for this dll being missing. But I don't use
C++ so my eyes glazed over when looking for a solution. :(

--
-Paul
Antonio Estevez

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 2:49 PM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
El 25/08/2017 a las 19:15, Paul Jackson escribió:
Does anyone know why I would be getting this error when running my program on Windows 7. It runs fine on Win 10, but not on Win 7. Obviously there is a missing .dll but why? Is there any information documented anywhere that might help me better understand these type of problems when creating software for distribution.

I dont't think that the problem is in your program but in a third party dll (probably the database client) which was
generated with Visual Studio using dynamic link to the api-ms-win-core-*.dll instead of using static link as Microsoft
recommends. The main problem is that the name of that dlls changes with each new version.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a28331ae-19a3-4a34-b3ba-1e8fd4430375/missing-apimswincore-dlls

Paul Jackson

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 8:19 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Hi Antonio,

Yeah I found that link too and re-posted it in question form in another forum category to try to get more coverage. I will explore the database client idea you pose. I am using postgresql-9.6.3-3-windows-binaries. This problem of deployment is ongoing for me with more issues than ust this one. But I'm slowly getting it all figured out.

Thank you for the response.

Antonio Estevez wrote:
El 25/08/2017 a las 19:15, Paul Jackson escribió:

I dont't think that the problem is in your program but in a third party dll (probably the database client) which was
generated with Visual Studio using dynamic link to the api-ms-win-core-*.dll instead of using static link as Microsoft
recommends. The main problem is that the name of that dlls changes with each new version.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a28331ae-19a3-4a34-b3ba-1e8fd4430375/missing-apimswincore-dlls

--
-Paul
Paul Jackson

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 8:32 AM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Well, I finally just did a rebuild actually a make on my project. Got rid of all the "dependencies" that InstallAware had gathered for me . I checked the .PDI file, gathered all the said packages along with all the Postgress client stuff. Finally it worked.

There was one dependency "msvcr120.dll" that was not listed that was needed. This may be part of the MS C++ Redist stuff needed for Postgres, not sure. In any event it works on Win 10, 7 and XP.

Paul Jackson wrote:

--
-Paul

--
-Paul
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02