Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install



Permlink Replies: 11 - Last Post: Aug 9, 2017 9:44 PM Last Post By: Brian Hamilton ... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Fred Schetterer

Posts: 83
Registered: 5/20/99
10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 8, 2017 9:09 AM
Just attempted to install the newest via ISO and I ended up with all the new/updated files and none of the old ones.

My ISO did not contain "install_RADStudio.exe."
as mentioned in http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/en/10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1#Installing_10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1

When the Wizard came up it had "Modify" selected, the file size section showed new files being added to the current install so I went that route.

Good thing I have learned to make OS and Registry backups before installing.

OS is 1703, Windows Creator.

Fred
Ian Branch

Posts: 442
Registered: 9/23/99
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 8, 2017 7:16 PM   in response to: Fred Schetterer in response to: Fred Schetterer
Ditto - Not Happy!!!!! Taken 6 hours to try to restore my original configuration................!@#$%^&*()
Brent Rose

Posts: 126
Registered: 9/23/00
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 8, 2017 7:27 PM   in response to: Ian Branch in response to: Ian Branch
On 9/08/2017 2:16 PM, Ian Branch wrote:
Ditto - Not Happy!!!!! Taken 6 hours to try to restore my original configuration................!@#$%^&*()
Add a similar range of non-alpha-numeric characters for me!

It does say that's what will happen, sure - but what are you going to do
- never benefit from the improvements??? I only hope the update is worth it.
Achim Kalwa

Posts: 39
Registered: 9/28/99
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 4:45 AM   in response to: Fred Schetterer in response to: Fred Schetterer
Fred Schetterer wrote:

Just attempted to install the newest via ISO and I ended up with all the new/updated files and none of the old ones.

My ISO did not contain "install_RADStudio.exe."
as mentioned in http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/en/10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1#Installing_10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1

When the Wizard came up it had "Modify" selected, the file size section showed new files being added to the current install so I went that route.

Thanks for the warning!

I've now used the ISO for uninstalling the 10.2 version, keeping all
configuration and registry settings. After that, I installed the new
version 10.2.1. All components and most settings were still there, only
some toolbar customizations were gone.

I had to disable Andreas Hausladens "Compiler Speed Pack" (which is part
of the IDE Fix Pack), because of error messages when starting the IDE.

Achim

Fred Schetterer

Posts: 83
Registered: 5/20/99
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 8:34 AM   in response to: Achim Kalwa in response to: Achim Kalwa
Achim Kalwa wrote:
I had to disable Andreas Hausladens "Compiler Speed Pack" (which is part
of the IDE Fix Pack), because of error messages when starting the IDE.

Yeah, doubt that I'll put in the effort. Berlin works fine and as someone put it a while back; other than new bugs and reordered menus there are no compelling new features for Pro users in Tokyo.

That said I've tried to use it and the IDE was too unstable in comparison to Berlin. Now the advertised 140 bug fixes don't even make past the install :)

Edited by: Fred Schetterer on Aug 9, 2017 8:34 AM
Brent Rose

Posts: 126
Registered: 9/23/00
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install [Edit]
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 4:21 PM   in response to: Fred Schetterer in response to: Fred Schetterer
On 10/08/2017 3:35 AM, Fred Schetterer wrote:
Achim Kalwa wrote:
I had to disable Andreas Hausladens "Compiler Speed Pack" (which is part
of the IDE Fix Pack), because of error messages when starting the IDE.

Yeah, doubt that I'll put in the effort. Berlin works fine and as someone put it a while back; other than new bugs and reordered menus there are no compelling new features for Pro users in Tokyo.

That said I've tried to use it and the IDE was too unstable in comparison to Berlin. Now the advertised 140 bug fixes don't even make past the install :)

Edited by: Fred Schetterer on Aug 9, 2017 8:34 AM
I read that the Compiler Speed Pack was not going to be supported beyond
the first release of Tokyo - which is to say it is not supported for
this release and beyond. As an aside, I have wondered why, if there has
been benefit from a "speed pack" for so long, that whatever it does has
not been incorporated into the IDE already??

I have upgraded from XE5 to Tokyo, and found that it is, indeed,
somewhat unstable - in particular, it periodically just crashes out for
no apparent reason.

The other shock with Tokyo is that the exe size of my XE5 apps instantly
triples!!! What is bloat to that degree all about?? This probably means
good business prospects for those selling exe packers. Of note, using
ASPack on my 3-times bloated exe reduces it down to one third the size
(similar to the XE5 size)! One can only wonder what it is that the
compiler is doing or not doing??

While I understand that Embarcadero, like other software developers,
have to have the revenue stream to support continued development, I
think Embarcadero do let developers down to a certain extent by not
fixing basic bugs in their sub-releases. Too often it has been a case of
having to upgrade a full version to benefit from bug fixes that really
should have been addressed for the same version, or of having bugs carry
through from one version to the next anyway.
Brent Rose

Posts: 126
Registered: 9/23/00
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install [Edit]
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 4:43 PM   in response to: Brent Rose in response to: Brent Rose
It looks like one bug they HAVE fixed (thank you) is the previous
inability to switch to a help window from the IDE via the task bar (or
Alt-Tab).
Anthony Wakefield

Posts: 4
Registered: 1/13/05
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 3:02 PM   in response to: Fred Schetterer in response to: Fred Schetterer
Fred Schetterer wrote:
Just attempted to install the newest via ISO and I ended up with all the new/updated files and none of the old ones.

My ISO did not contain "install_RADStudio.exe."
as mentioned in http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/en/10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1#Installing_10.2_Tokyo_-_Release_1

When the Wizard came up it had "Modify" selected, the file size section showed new files being added to the current install so I went that route.

Good thing I have learned to make OS and Registry backups before installing.

OS is 1703, Windows Creator.

Fred

Same here seems most of the files are in the 19/bin directory but only EXE's for BDS realy pissed off with the way they update it always takes me a good days work. No I have nothing to run. Hope someone is reading this. I only have a Delphi licence and downloaded the full ISO like you only given the modify option and does not give the usual selections shows 0 bytes to install when run for a second time. I am on latest Creator edition Win 10 Pro with 2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674) installed before the ISO was run setup.exe. as no install_RADStudio.exe on ISO looks like no one at Embarcadero bothered to see if the ISO actually worked!

Tony
Mark Kendall

Posts: 1
Registered: 10/19/14
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 4:32 PM   in response to: Fred Schetterer in response to: Fred Schetterer
The first couple of times the new installer didn't install everything (eg, bds,exe was missing), it looked like it had completed okay though. I had to uninstall 10.2 and then install it again to get Delphi working.

Already had my first IDE lockup within 5 minutes simply by opening a project and browsing main menu entries.

Whats up with the update (ie 2nd release) being called release 1????
Mark Voevodin

Posts: 1
Registered: 2/1/04
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 5:09 PM   in response to: Mark Kendall in response to: Mark Kendall
Mark Kendall wrote:
The first couple of times the new installer didn't install everything (eg, bds,exe was missing), it looked like it had completed okay though. I had to uninstall 10.2 and then install it again to get Delphi working.

Same here. Ran ISO installer - Modify. Run twice, still no BDS.exe. Run a 3rd time, Uninstall (after doing Migration Tool AND manual HKLM/HKCU Embarcadero registry backup), and then Install.
IDE Fix Pack 5.96 complaining - but all my projects and settings appear to be fine. Will know more, once I open and work on a project.
Anthony Wakefield

Posts: 4
Registered: 1/13/05
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 8:12 PM   in response to: Mark Voevodin in response to: Mark Voevodin
Mark Voevodin wrote:
Mark Kendall wrote:
The first couple of times the new installer didn't install everything (eg, bds,exe was missing), it looked like it had completed okay though. I had to uninstall 10.2 and then install it again to get Delphi working.

Same here. Ran ISO installer - Modify. Run twice, still no BDS.exe. Run a 3rd time, Uninstall (after doing Migration Tool AND manual HKLM/HKCU Embarcadero registry backup), and then Install.
IDE Fix Pack 5.96 complaining - but all my projects and settings appear to be fine. Will know more, once I open and work on a project.

Done that now it shows Delphi 10.2 Version 25.0.27659.1188 in About screen and Installed updates Delphi 10.2 and C++ Builder 10.2 update 1

All my own components and 3rd party are now missing so I have to spend ages re-installing what a cock up and no comment from Embarcadero to this mess. I have spent 12 hrs so far to so called upgrade and a few more to go! Not Happy customer.

Tony
Brian Hamilton ...

Posts: 556
Registered: 10/14/04
Re: 10.2 Tokyo - Release 1 wiped out my previous install
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 9, 2017 9:44 PM   in response to: Anthony Wakefield in response to: Anthony Wakefield
my problem was , I got an email about the update, and so I was able to download, and install, no problem
but then on running it says my update subscription has expired ...and thats it.the compiler closes. so a broken compiler
I should have gotten a warning before I was able to either download or install the update?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02