Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Aug 8, 2017 1:48 AM Last Post By: Lajos Juhasz Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Paul Jackson

Posts: 61
Registered: 3/2/17
Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 6, 2017 3:26 PM
C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo.

So yes there is a lot of information on the wiki's and many may videos on how to's, skill sprints, etc, etc, etc. But something that I think is missing is how to deploy simple applications for VCL and DB on Windows.

The deployment manager is great for deploying remote projects, but what about local stuff? I have been unable to find the basic information on what's needed to finalize and deploy a program that works on a Windows machine.

For example, I wrote a very simple test program for connecting to a database and displaying records in a DBGrid. After a lot of looking, exploring, and searching, etc. I copy the files I think I need over to another pc and the program will not run. Simply doesn't start.

So finally I decide to install InstallAnywhere, a $1K package and have it scan the .exe file. Man-o-man, I was missing so many .bpl's, .dll's and other stuff. I did get my program to run, but it took 32 meg worth of files mentioned nowhere in the wiki's?

So where is a place or video or a wiki that discusses "all" of the potential files that need to be deployed with a program? I know that this is a broad question because of the many many program types that could be developed, but the wiki falls a bit short on this subject. Or maybe I've just missed something?

Thank you for any help.
--
-Paul
Paul Jackson

Posts: 61
Registered: 3/2/17
Re: Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 6, 2017 4:40 PM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
So I finally did yet another search and found that there is a nice little readme file in the Studio install directory that discusses the redistribution files available for deployment.

But still have had no luck in finding a document that discusses which ones to include. I suppose that's going to have to come with experience and time.

Anyway the question still stands, does anyone have or know of a document that shows one what one needs in order to run a program built with VCL and/or DB stuff. For example, referencing what I wrote below, I write a simple little test program. It has a DBGrid, DataSource, Connection, a Query and an Alter. Now when I look at the Information Dialog from a debug build, I see 12 .bpl files needed. But when I copy those files into the folder with the .exe it doesn't run. So after using InstallAnyWhere about 50 files are copied to the .exe file location. Then the program runs.

Where is the information on why and where to gather those files?

Again thank you for any guidance on this.

Paul Jackson wrote:
C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo.

So yes there is a lot of information on the wiki's and many may videos on how to's, skill sprints, etc, etc, etc. But something that I think is missing is how to deploy simple applications for VCL and DB on Windows.

The deployment manager is great for deploying remote projects, but what about local stuff? I have been unable to find the basic information on what's needed to finalize and deploy a program that works on a Windows machine.

For example, I wrote a very simple test program for connecting to a database and displaying records in a DBGrid. After a lot of looking, exploring, and searching, etc. I copy the files I think I need over to another pc and the program will not run. Simply doesn't start.

So finally I decide to install InstallAnywhere, a $1K package and have it scan the .exe file. Man-o-man, I was missing so many .bpl's, .dll's and other stuff. I did get my program to run, but it took 32 meg worth of files mentioned nowhere in the wiki's?

So where is a place or video or a wiki that discusses "all" of the potential files that need to be deployed with a program? I know that this is a broad question because of the many many program types that could be developed, but the wiki falls a bit short on this subject. Or maybe I've just missed something?

Thank you for any help.
--
-Paul

--
-Paul
Lajos Juhasz

Posts: 801
Registered: 3/14/14
Re: Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 7, 2017 7:10 AM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Paul Jackson wrote:

So I finally did yet another search and found that there is a nice
little readme file in the Studio install directory that discusses the
redistribution files available for deployment.

But still have had no luck in finding a document that discusses which
ones to include. I suppose that's going to have to come with
experience and time.

Anyway the question still stands, does anyone have or know of a
document that shows one what one needs in order to run a program
built with VCL and/or DB stuff. For example, referencing what I
wrote below, I write a simple little test program. It has a DBGrid,
DataSource, Connection, a Query and an Alter. Now when I look at the
Information Dialog from a debug build, I see 12 .bpl files needed.
But when I copy those files into the folder with the .exe it doesn't
run. So after using InstallAnyWhere abou t 50 files are copied to
the .exe file location. Then the program runs.

Where is the information on why and where to gather those files?

Again thank you for any guidance on this.

Paul Jackson wrote:
C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo.

So yes there is a lot of information on the wiki's and many may
videos on how to's, skill sprints, etc, etc, etc. But something
that I think is missing is how to deploy simple applications for
VCL and DB on Windows.

The deployment manager is great for deploying remote projects, but
what about local stuff? I have been unable to find the basic
information on what's needed to finalize and deploy a program that
works on a Windows machine.

For example, I wrote a very simple test program for connecting to a
database and displaying records in a DBGrid. After a lot of
looking, exploring, and searching, etc. I copy the files I think I
need over to another pc and the program will not run. Simply
doesn't start.

So finally I decide to install InstallAnywhere, a $1K package and
have it scan the .exe file. Man-o-man, I was missing so many
.bpl's, .dll's and other stuff. I did get my program to run, but
it took 32 meg worth of files mentioned nowhere in the wiki's?

So where is a place or video or a wiki that discusses "all" of the
potential files that need to be deployed with a program? I know
that this is a broad question because of the many many program
types that could be developed, but the wiki falls a bit short on
this subject. Or maybe I've just missed something?

Thank you for any help.
--
-Paul

The information dialog of the project will give you the required
packages. When you're deploying a DB applications beside those files
you have to install the client library (if any is required) for the
database connection. This information is usually available in the Help
for the database connection.

A dirty way to find out is to open a command line, leave only the
application folder in path and start the application from the command
line then you can copy the required files one by one to the folder, I
find this a bit faster than to install the application to another
computer.
Paul Jackson

Posts: 61
Registered: 3/2/17
Re: Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 7, 2017 12:44 PM   in response to: Lajos Juhasz in response to: Lajos Juhasz
Lajos Juhasz wrote:
Paul Jackson wrote:

So I finally did yet another search and found that there is a nice
little readme file in the Studio install directory that discusses the
redistribution files available for deployment.

But still have had no luck in finding a document that discusses which
ones to include. I suppose that's going to have to come with
experience and time.

Anyway the question still stands, does anyone have or know of a
document that shows one what one needs in order to run a program
built with VCL and/or DB stuff. For example, referencing what I
wrote below, I write a simple little test program. It has a DBGrid,
DataSource, Connection, a Query and an Alter. Now when I look at the
Information Dialog from a debug build, I see 12 .bpl files needed.
But when I copy those files into the folder with the .exe it doesn't
run. So after using InstallAnyWhere abou t 50 files are copied to
the .exe file location. Then the program runs.

Where is the information on why and where to gather those files?

Again thank you for any guidance on this.

Paul Jackson wrote:
C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo.

So yes there is a lot of information on the wiki's and many may
videos on how to's, skill sprints, etc, etc, etc. But something
that I think is missing is how to deploy simple applications for
VCL and DB on Windows.

The deployment manager is great for deploying remote projects, but
what about local stuff? I have been unable to find the basic
information on what's needed to finalize and deploy a program that
works on a Windows machine.

For example, I wrote a very simple test program for connecting to a
database and displaying records in a DBGrid. After a lot of
looking, exploring, and searching, etc. I copy the files I think I
need over to another pc and the program will not run. Simply
doesn't start.

So finally I decide to install InstallAnywhere, a $1K package and
have it scan the .exe file. Man-o-man, I was missing so many
.bpl's, .dll's and other stuff. I did get my program to run, but
it took 32 meg worth of files mentioned nowhere in the wiki's?

So where is a place or video or a wiki that discusses "all" of the
potential files that need to be deployed with a program? I know
that this is a broad question because of the many many program
types that could be developed, but the wiki falls a bit short on
this subject. Or maybe I've just missed something?

Thank you for any help.
--
-Paul

The information dialog of the project will give you the required
packages. When you're deploying a DB applications beside those files
you have to install the client library (if any is required) for the
database connection. This information is usually available in the Help
for the database connection.

A dirty way to find out is to open a command line, leave only the
application folder in path and start the application from the command
line then you can copy the required files one by one to the folder, I
find this a bit faster than to install the application to another
computer.

Hi Lajos,

So yes the Information Dialog does give me a list of about 14 .dll's needed, but it's not all of them. Before I posted I tried everything I could think of trying. I used the Information Dialog and gathered those files along with all the necessary DB driver and .INI files required, but it was still not enough to make the program execute. Did I mention I'm programming against Windows 10 so?!?!?

Anyway the program finally but ran only after I used the InstallAware app's Scan function, mentioned above, to gather the needed files. So the installer program gathered all the libraries/.dll's that were in the Information Dialog along with about 20 or so more, I didn't do an exact count, yet. I did have to put the FireDAC .INI files in the directory myself though and point to the driver accordingly. But alas it finally ran and worked very well.

I will absolutely try as you suggest with the command line. I don't know exactly why the install program grabbed all of those file, but they must be required as the program would not execute until I put them "all" in the directory with the executable. When I can I will post a list of some of the .dll's that were gathered by the installer program, just to see if anyone has feedback on them.

Thank you for your answer.
--
-Paul

Edited by: Paul Jackson on Aug 7, 2017 8:20 PM
Lajos Juhasz

Posts: 801
Registered: 3/14/14
Re: Deployment of C++ VCL/DB application [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 8, 2017 1:48 AM   in response to: Paul Jackson in response to: Paul Jackson
Paul Jackson wrote:

[snip]

I did have to put the FireDAC .INI files in the directory myself
though and point to the driver accordingly. But alas it finally ran
and worked very well.

I will absolutely try as you suggest with the command line. I don't
know exactly why the install program grabbed all of those file, but
they must be required as the program would not execute until I put
them "all" in the directory with the executable. When I can I will
post a list of some of the .dll's that were gathered by the installer
program, just to see if anyone has feedback on them.

Thank you for your answer.

FireDAC can work without any ini file, you can setup everithing for the
connection runtime. As of the files required for Firedac you can find
out easily. Required Delphi packages are:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Deploying_on_Windows_(FireDAC)

What you need for database servers you can find at:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Database_Connectivity_(FireDAC)

While for packages it's easy to find out (if you've source for it just
read the required section) in case of the dll's that's not that easy.

For some database client libraries it's required to restart for others
it's enough to copy a couple of dlls in the application folder or
somewhere in the path.

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02