Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Not enough space to install Delphi 10.2 / Tokyo

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: May 20, 2017 12:43 PM Last Post By: steve leonard Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
steve leonard

Not enough space to install Delphi 10.2 / Tokyo  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 22, 2017 7:03 PM
I got the email saying Delphi 1.2 was available to install, but the installation notes says it needs 30 to 60 gig of disk space, and I have only 35 gig.

I found older posts from before 2010 indicating you should compress the programdata folder but did not give any instructions on how to. I could use Winzip but would the installaton know it has to get pieces out of a compressed file? I thought this would be automatic if Windows was used to compress the folder, but all I see for Win7 is to compress the entire Drive. No thanks.

Since the earlier post mentioned that 30 gig is needed for temp files, might the solution be as simple as using control panel to change the environment variables for TEMP and TMP to use f:\temp (where F is a 32 gig thumb drive) and when done, change it back to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp ?

Does this also mean that after installation has completed, it will continue to use up 30gig of my C drive, or is most of that the laters version of Delphi, and it will delete the existing version of Delphi (1.2) meaning most of that 30 gig is freed up after the Berlin version is deleted?
Jeff Overcash (...

Re: Not enough space to install Delphi 10.2 / Tokyo  
  Posted: Mar 22, 2017 9:27 PM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:
I got the email saying Delphi 1.2 was available to install, but the installation notes says it needs 30 to 60 gig of disk space, and I have only 35 gig.

I found older posts from before 2010 indicating you should compress the programdata folder but did not give any instructions on how to. I could use Winzip but would the installaton know it has to get pieces out of a compressed file? I thought this would be automatic if Windows was used to compress the folder, but all I see for Win7 is to compress the entire Drive. No thanks.

Since the earlier post mentioned that 30 gig is needed for temp files, might the solution be as simple as using control panel to change the environment variables for TEMP and TMP to use f:\temp (where F is a 32 gig thumb drive) and when done, change it back to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp ?

Does this also mean that after installation has completed, it will continue to use up 30gig of my C drive, or is most of that the laters version of Delphi, and it will delete the existing version of Delphi (1.2) meaning most of that 30 gig is freed up after the Berlin version is deleted?

When people say compress it, they mean using windows compression. you just
install till it says needs more space then go into the program data folder and
start compressing those folders till you have enough.

I would also compress the samples directory as it is rather large.

Alternatively try the GetIt installer instead of the iso because I think that
one cleans up after itself with each module unlike the iso/InstallAware one
which extracts everything then installs.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 8:45 AM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve wrote:

I found older posts from before 2010 indicating you should compress
the programdata folder but did not give any instructions on how to.

They are referring to filesystem-level compression, which is a feature of
Windows. Go into Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder and go into
its Properties, click on the Advanced option, and enable the "Compress contents
to save disk space" option.

I could use Winzip but would the installaton know it has to get pieces
out of a compressed file?

No.

I thought this would be automatic if Windows was used to compress the folder

Yes, exactly.

but all I see for Win7 is to compress the entire Drive.

No, you can compress individual folders.

Since the earlier post mentioned that 30 gig is needed for temp files,
might the solution be as simple as using control panel to change the
environment variables for TEMP and TMP to use f:\temp (where F is a 32
gig thumb drive) and when done, change it back to
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp ?

Yes, that is possible. But it is not just the %TEMP% folder that gets used.
%PROGRAMDATA% too, certainly. And maybe some others, too. I forget the
exact details. But the files are a little scattered.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
steve leonard

Posted: May 6, 2017 8:57 AM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:

I was able to install Tokyo after I compressed the samples folder as suggested.
I noticed that the update was more of a complete installation, as I now have "..Rad Studio 10.1" and "...10.2", and I am glad because I have some program that use the ABS Database from Component-ACE, and that is not installed into Tokyo.
I thought I might need to uninstall Berlin so the install of the ABS database does not get confused. But in Control Panel, under the uninstall choices, there is only the is an entry for "...10.1 Berlin", but nothing for 10.2 or Tokyo.

I also read the help file for Component-Ace installation, and it lists the version of Delphi it support, and Berlin is there, but there is no mention of Tokyo.

Is there a need to uninstall Berlin at some point, and if so, how, as there is no Tokyo entry under Control Panel uninstall?
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: May 6, 2017 6:01 PM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:
steve leonard wrote:

I was able to install Tokyo after I compressed the samples folder as suggested.
I noticed that the update was more of a complete installation, as I now have "..Rad Studio 10.1" and "...10.2", and I am glad because I have some program that use the ABS Database from Component-ACE, and that is not installed into Tokyo.
I thought I might need to uninstall Berlin so the install of the ABS database does not get confused. But in Control Panel, under the uninstall choices, there is only the is an entry for "...10.1 Berlin", but nothing for 10.2 or Tokyo.

I also read the help file for Component-Ace installation, and it lists the version of Delphi it support, and Berlin is there, but there is no mention of Tokyo.

Is there a need to uninstall Berlin at some point, and if so, how, as there is no Tokyo entry under Control Panel uninstall?

10.1 is Berlin, 10.2 is Tokyo, they are separate major versions. It is no
different than having XE7 and Xe8 installed.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
steve leonard

Posted: May 20, 2017 9:10 AM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. The installation has completed successfully, but I am unable to install it on another pc. A few minutes into the install I get an error message that gives no explanation - something like "installation error".
This other pc was not connected to the Internet by choice, as Windows Automatic updates has caused me many problems. I copied the downloaded install file from thy working pc to the unconnected on, and the install failed (not unexpected) because it coul not access files needed to validate my serial number. I connected it to the net, ran the install and it failed with the error message after downloading probably everything. I hit retry and it told me it was already there and needed to uninstall it so I gave it yes and the same error happened again. It did put a shortcut on my deslktop for Tokyo, so I tried to run it. From the opening screen, when I try to open an existing project, open a sample project or create a new project...nothing happens.
I tried to reboot the computer and that was about an hour ago - it is still installing Windows Updates with the don't power this off message, which is exactly why I kept it unconnected for the past few month.

I have in the past let it install updates overnight, and it was still updating the next morning, so there is no telling when I will have the opportunity to try any suggestions that you have.
steve leonard

Posted: May 20, 2017 12:43 PM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:

I finally got my system back after installing and configuring Microsoft Updates (which FAILED !!!!) I tried to install Tokyo again and I get the same error: "Operation Error. A Problem occurred during the process".
I then doublecliked the Tokyo shortcut, and if I try to open an existing program, I get an error message "...required personality Delphi.personality is not available". Any one have any clues?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02