Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Runtime Packages loading time in IDE (Windows 10 Creator)

Permlink Replies: 24 - Last Post: Nov 15, 2017 10:26 PM Last Post By: Roberto Loppi Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Pascal Bellebou...

Runtime Packages loading time in IDE (Windows 10 Creator)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 20, 2017 4:04 AM
We have noticed a unpleasant behaviour since the Windows 10 Creator update :
The IDE loads and unloads the same libraries (dll, bpls) many times (about 5 times more than before), which makes the debug process very slow !
Here are some times (taken from one of our applications) :
- Delphi 10.1 Windows 10 (NO CREATOR UPDATE) => 3 seconds
- Delphi 10.2 Windows 10 (NO CREATOR UPDATE) => 5 seconds
- Delphi 10.1 Windows 10 (WITH CREATOR UPDATE) => 45 seconds
- Delphi 10.2 Windows 10 (WITH CREATOR UPDATE) => 45 seconds

And sometimes (often), the IDE completely freezes, while loading/unloading packages.

Anyone has this issue ? Any clues to speed the debug process up ?
Stephane DORIGO

Re: Runtime Packages loading time in IDE (Windows 10 Creator)
  Posted: Apr 24, 2017 12:56 PM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...
Pascal Bellebouche wrote:
The IDE loads and unloads the same libraries (dll, bpls) many times (about 5 times more than before), which makes the debug process very slow !

And sometimes (often), the IDE completely freezes, while loading/unloading packages.

I have the same issue, the loading and unloading of bpls take a very long time, and sometimes, the compiler freezes when unloading one of those bpls and when i try to stop the debugging, i have a fatal error that says that a "debugging process is already in an execution state", then when i close the box it goes to a "time out for the achievement of the process".

The only solution i have is to close and restart the IDE. This behavior appears every 3/4 runs in debug mode and it's very uncomfortable.

I also noticed that, when the run in debug mode succeeds, the application is very very slow and every action take 5x more time than running the exe without debugging.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE and all the components, disable antivirus (Windows Defender), but nothing works by now. I hope there will be some research and maybe a fix for this...
Pascal Bellebou...

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 12:06 AM   in response to: Stephane DORIGO in response to: Stephane DORIGO
Stephane DORIGO wrote:

I have the same issue, the loading and unloading of bpls take a very long time, and sometimes, the compiler freezes when unloading one of those bpls and when i try to stop the debugging, i have a fatal error that says that a "debugging process is already in an execution state", then when i close the box it goes to a "time out for the achievement of the process".

The only solution i have is to close and restart the IDE. This behavior appears every 3/4 runs in debug mode and it's very uncomfortable.

I also noticed that, when the run in debug mode succeeds, the application is very very slow and every action take 5x more time than running the exe without debugging.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE and all the components, disable antivirus (Windows Defender), but nothing works by now. I hope there will be some research and maybe a fix for this...

I'm really glad to hear that (thought we were alone).
Today I even can't run in debug mode, the IDE just keep stucked in the loading phase. I restarted the IDE about 20 times in less than 10 minutes without success. We are going back to 10.1 for now, waiting for a working fix.
Pascal Bellebou...

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 7:45 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...
To add some information, the IDE completely hangs when we modify a unit in a package without building it (just compiling it).

I think this has to do with the loading library process in Windows 10 which seems to have changed...

This is really annoying, so if you can avoid the Windows 10 Creator update, avoid it !
Boris Herbinier...

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 1:15 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...
The debugger goes haywire for everyone in our organization with Creators and Tokyo/Berlin. Reverting to Windows Anniversary brings back the sanity.

Debugger problems with Tokyo/Berlin and Creators:
- App takes a long time to load with modules loading and unloading and re-loading many times
- IDE freezes
- Memory consumption of bds.exe explodes, sometimes (> 3GB)

Beware, presumably if you have large/complex applications...

We added https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-17972
David Millington

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 4:09 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...

Hi. I'm using Creator's Update myself, and (unfortunately) haven't seen any sign of these issues.

Is there any more information you can provide to help track this down, please? For example: do you have third party BPLs that are loading? Do the debugging problems occur with a brand new project? When you see the BPLs loading and unloading, what's happening, can you attach a log? (Please enter a Jira too, that way you can comment and track it.)
Ludovic Vaugeois

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 4:20 AM   in response to: David Millington in response to: David Millington
David Millington wrote:

Hi. I'm using Creator's Update myself, and (unfortunately) haven't seen any sign of these issues.

Is there any more information you can provide to help track this down, please? For example: do you have third party BPLs that are loading? Do the debugging problems occur with a brand new project? When you see the BPLs loading and unloading, what's happening, can you attach a log? (Please enter a Jira too, that way you can comment and track it.)

See this RSP where I put screenshots of module loading with and without Creators.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-17972
David Millington

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 5:21 AM   in response to: Ludovic Vaugeois in response to: Ludovic Vaugeois
Ludovic Vaugeois wrote:
See this RSP where I put screenshots of module loading with and without Creators.

Thankyou. I noticed a lot of new threads, as well. It's hard to directly compare those screenshots without knowing if they represent the exact same stage of the process startup. Could you attach the logs themselves, please? (When you right-click on the events, you can save them to file.)
Ludovic Vaugeois

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 5:54 AM   in response to: David Millington in response to: David Millington
David Millington wrote:
Ludovic Vaugeois wrote:

Thankyou. I noticed a lot of new threads, as well. It's hard to directly compare those screenshots without knowing if they represent the exact same stage of the process startup. Could you attach the logs themselves, please? (When you right-click on the events, you can save them to file.)

I reverted to Anniversary right away so I can't do it myself. Two colleagues of mine who are on Creators are unable to extract the logs because the IDE freezes while running a CPU at 100%...
David Millington

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 10:46 AM   in response to: Ludovic Vaugeois in response to: Ludovic Vaugeois
Ludovic Vaugeois wrote:
I reverted to Anniversary right away so I can't do it myself. Two colleagues of mine who are on Creators are unable to extract the logs because the IDE freezes while running a CPU at 100%...

Is that with Win64 target, or Win32 target? Does that happen with even a brand new app?

A comparison of behaviour with a brand new app, if you can create one, would be very useful - it removes all extras brought in by a large, complex application.
Pierangelo Dal ...

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 11:15 AM   in response to: David Millington in response to: David Millington
David Millington wrote:
Ludovic Vaugeois wrote:

Is that with Win64 target, or Win32 target? Does that happen with even a brand new app?

A comparison of behaviour with a brand new app, if you can create one, would be very useful - it removes all extras brought in by a large, complex application.

It happens also to me on both Win32 and Win64 even with very simple project of few lines...
tried on Seattle and Windows 10 CU...

The project only work without the creators update

Unit1 (Exe loading a form on the bpl created and registered on unit2)
unit Unit1;

interface

uses
Winapi.Windows, Winapi.Messages, System.SysUtils, System.Variants, System.Classes, Vcl.Graphics,
Vcl.Controls, Vcl.Forms, Vcl.Dialogs, Vcl.StdCtrls;

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
Button1: TButton;
procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
private
{ Private declarations }
public
{ Public declarations }
end;

var
Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
PackageModule: HModule;
AClass: TPersistentClass;
begin
PackageModule := LoadPackage('Package1.bpl');
if PackageModule <> 0 then
begin
AClass := FindClass('TMyTestForm2');
//AClass := GetClass('TMyTestForm2');

if AClass <> nil then
begin
with TComponentClass(AClass).Create(Application) as TForm do
begin
ShowModal;
Free;
end;
end
else
ShowMessage('Class TMyTestForm2 not registered');

UnloadPackage(PackageModule);
end;
end;

end.

Unit2
unit Unit2;

interface

uses
Winapi.Windows, Winapi.Messages, System.SysUtils, System.Variants, System.Classes, Vcl.Graphics,
Vcl.Controls, Vcl.Forms, Vcl.Dialogs;

type
TMyTestForm2 = class(TForm)
private
{ Private declarations }
public
{ Public declarations }
end;

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

initialization
RegisterClass(TMyTestForm2);
ShowMessage('RegisterClass TMyTestForm2');

finalization
UnRegisterClass(TMyTestForm2);
ShowMessage('UnRegisterClass TMyTestForm2');
end.
Vladimír Bárta

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 12:10 AM   in response to: Pierangelo Dal ... in response to: Pierangelo Dal ...
Try to change BaseAddress of BPL to not conflict with address space of exe and other bpl, this solved problem in our application.

1) The example above works for me on Windows 10 CU.

2) Here is Event Log of example above, with default base address $400000 in exe and bpl:
  Module Load: Package1.bpl. Has Debug Info. Base Address: $03400000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Unload: Package1.bpl. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: Package1.bpl. Has Debug Info. Base Address: $03400000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: DUser.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $64B00000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Thread Start: Thread ID: 6624. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: XmlLite.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $71730000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: atlthunk.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $63A70000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
 Module Unload: XmlLite.dll. Process Project1.exe (11024)

This lines are generated by function LoadPackage.

When I change address base of bpl to for example $40000000, the event log looks like:
  Module Load: Package1.bpl. Has Debug Info. Base Address: $40000000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: DUser.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $64B00000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Thread Start: Thread ID: 3668. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: XmlLite.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $71730000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: atlthunk.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $63A70000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Unload: XmlLite.dll. Process Project1.exe (11032)

You can see that Package1.bpl is loaded only once.

3) After installing Creators update out application was starting about 30minuts + from network shares, by changing base address of bpl we speed up loading process do 40 seconds, but still it is twice slower than Windows without CU.

Edited by: Vladimír Bárta on Apr 27, 2017 10:51 PM

Edited by: Vladimír Bárta on Apr 27, 2017 11:13 PM
Davide Angeli

Posted: May 25, 2017 3:04 AM   in response to: Vladimír Bárta in response to: Vladimír Bárta
I solved too adjusting the base address of BPLs. I had one BPL that became too big and it overlapped the next bpl.

Vladimír Bárta wrote:
Try to change BaseAddress of BPL to not conflict with address space of exe and other bpl, this solved problem in our application.

1) The example above works for me on Windows 10 CU.

2) Here is Event Log of example above, with default base address $400000 in exe and bpl:
  Module Unload: Package1.bpl. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: DUser.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $64B00000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Thread Start: Thread ID: 6624. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: XmlLite.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $71730000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
  Module Load: atlthunk.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $63A70000. Process Project1.exe (11024)
 Module Unload: XmlLite.dll. Process Project1.exe (11024)

This lines are generated by function LoadPackage.

When I change address base of bpl to for example $40000000, the event log looks like:
  Module Load: Package1.bpl. Has Debug Info. Base Address: $40000000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: DUser.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $64B00000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Thread Start: Thread ID: 3668. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: XmlLite.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $71730000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Load: atlthunk.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $63A70000. Process Project1.exe (11032)
  Module Unload: XmlLite.dll. Process Project1.exe (11032)

You can see that Package1.bpl is loaded only once.

3) After installing Creators update out application was starting about 30minuts + from network shares, by changing base address of bpl we speed up loading process do 40 seconds, but still it is twice slower than Windows without CU.

Edited by: Vladimír Bárta on Apr 27, 2017 10:51 PM

Edited by: Vladimír Bárta on Apr 27, 2017 11:13 PM
Stepan Drzka

Posted: May 29, 2017 10:15 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...

What is the status of this issue?
Is Embarcadero or Microsoft going to fix it soon?
Is there a workaround for users who can't roll back to Anniversary Update (because it's too late)?
What is interesting on this page: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-17972 I have no access there...
Achim Kalwa

Posted: May 30, 2017 11:42 PM   in response to: Stepan Drzka in response to: Stepan Drzka
Stepan Drzka wrote:

What is the status of this issue? Is Embarcadero or Microsoft going
to fix it soon? Is there a workaround for users who can't roll back
to Anniversary Update (because it's too late)? What is interesting on
this page: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-17972 I have no
access there...

You need to login first :-)

Assignee: Internal Dev
Resolution: Unresolved
InternalID: RS-83785
InternalStatus: Open

There is a comment from Marco Cantù:

The issue is in fact that BPLs are loaded multiple times, due to a
change (an optimization, in fact!) of the library loading code in
Creators Update. Standalone executables are not affected. The
negative effect is limited for standard local installations. It is
significant if the BPLs are remote. It is critical when this happens
under the debugger.

This is for all versions of Delphi, as far as we know – going back
many many years. Working on it.
Stepan Drzka

Posted: May 31, 2017 12:37 AM   in response to: Achim Kalwa in response to: Achim Kalwa
Thanks. I finally successfully logged in. I have to use an other username than I use to log in to EDN which is strange.
Well the only thing we can do is to wait...

Achim Kalwa wrote:
Stepan Drzka wrote:

You need to login first :-)
Leonid Zagovaylov

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 1:45 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...
Dear comrades in misfortune.
What about BCB6?
There are the same problems :(
Rudy Velthuis (...

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 3:46 AM   in response to: Leonid Zagovaylov in response to: Leonid Zagovaylov
Leonid Zagovaylov wrote:

Dear comrades in misfortune.
What about BCB6?
There are the same problems :(

That may well be, but it would surprise me if they ever updated that
version. It is rather old.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything
that counts can be counted." -- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Leonid Zagovaylov

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 1:03 AM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...
... Any clues to speed the debug process up ?
Recipe (solution through the ass... but it's working!):
1. In the Your point of interest place this code:
{
bool bDBG = false;
while(!(bDBG = IsDebuggerPresent()));
DebugBreak();
bDBG = bDBG;//F4 here
}
and make executable with this trick.
2. Run your EXE from Explorer (or any file manager, like Far, etc)
3. Attach to your process from IDE
4. Press F4
5. PROFIT!
Eric ten Westen...

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 11:07 PM   in response to: Leonid Zagovaylov in response to: Leonid Zagovaylov
Hi

What is the current status?

Eric
Pasquale Esposito

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 11:37 PM   in response to: Pascal Bellebou... in response to: Pascal Bellebou...

Does this problem affect Firemonkey as well?
Eric ten Westen...

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 12:49 AM   in response to: Pasquale Esposito in response to: Pasquale Esposito
Hi

I understand Embarcadero has made a workaround but only for Tokyo , not for older versions.

Also the fall version of Windows (17 October release date) fixes the problem.

Eric

Edited by: Eric ten Westenend on Sep 14, 2017 2:51 AM
Roberto Loppi

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 2:08 AM   in response to: Eric ten Westen... in response to: Eric ten Westen...
Eric ten Westenend wrote:
Hi

I understand Embarcadero has made a workaround but only for Tokyo , not for older versions.

Also the fall version of Windows (17 October release date) fixes the problem.

Eric

Edited by: Eric ten Westenend on Sep 14, 2017 2:51 AM

After the update now I have Windows 10 Home version 1709, build 16299.19 but the problem is not fixed !!!
I use CodeGear™ C++Builder® 2007 Version 11.0.2902.10471

In one older slow PC with windows 8.1 all works fine, now i bought a new one but i cant use it !!! Please give me a solution
Brandon Staggs

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 4:59 AM   in response to: Roberto Loppi in response to: Roberto Loppi
"Roberto Loppi" wrote on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 02:08:54 -0700:

After the update now I have Windows 10 Home version 1709, build 16299.19 but the problem is not fixed !!!

I wonder if anyone else can/will confirm this. I am holding back an
update on a VM specifically because of the package loading issue...

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC
http://www.studylamp.com
Roberto Loppi

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 10:26 PM   in response to: Brandon Staggs in response to: Brandon Staggs
Brandon Staggs wrote:
"Roberto Loppi" wrote on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 02:08:54 -0700:

I wonder if anyone else can/will confirm this. I am holding back an
update on a VM specifically because of the package loading issue...

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC
http://www.studylamp.com

Since yesterday, after another automatic update of Windows 10 The problem seems to be solved!!
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02