Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: The free command-line C++ compiler gets an update

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Mar 31, 2017 10:51 PM Last Post By: Ted Lyngmo Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Remy Lebeau (Te...

The free command-line C++ compiler gets an update
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 13, 2016 1:39 PM
Ted Lyngmo

Re: The free command-line C++ compiler gets an update
  Posted: Mar 30, 2017 2:22 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...

This got me thinking. I'm developing a lib in vanilla C++98/03 which I'm later going to use in an old C++ Builder 4 program. I'm doing all the development in linux and just downloaded the new free compiler to see how that would work in Wine to get all the compiling/testing done in one go. Seems to work (although I have some problems linking right now).

Anyway, I wonder, is it still possible to get hold of a free command line C++ compiler that would be compatible with the compiler included in BCB4?

Br,
Ted
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: The free command-line C++ compiler gets an update [Edit]
  Posted: Mar 30, 2017 3:30 PM   in response to: Ted Lyngmo in response to: Ted Lyngmo
Ted wrote:

Anyway, I wonder, is it still possible to get hold of a free command
line C++ compiler that would be compatible with the compiler included
in BCB4?

Probably not, unless you find a bootleg copy of the old BCB4 compiler floating
aroound.

It would probably be safer to just compile your lib into a DLL instead, and
then use that in you BCB4 project.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Ted Lyngmo

Re: The free command-line C++ compiler gets an update [Edit]
  Posted: Mar 31, 2017 10:51 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Ted wrote:

Anyway, I wonder, is it still possible to get hold of a free command
line C++ compiler that would be compatible with the compiler included
in BCB4?

Probably not, unless you find a bootleg copy of the old BCB4 compiler floating
aroound.

Good idea! I ended up doing my own "bootleg" of it. I mounted a smb share to my Windows machine and then tried compiling from linux and it worked great :-) I just used BCC32 from my old BCB4 and .. yes! It does works fine. It's just a lot of work to get it to accept the paths I gave it. I even downloaded TurboPascal55 and made makefiles for some test programs that I compiled via DosBox - and it also compiled fine. Legendary fun! Those programs have never probably compiled in 0.0000000009 seconds before! :-)

It would probably be safer to just compile your lib into a DLL instead, and
then use that in you BCB4 project.

I do agree. This is more of an exercise for me. Everything else in the old program has already been replaced by libs and DLL:s. The exposed part of Indy is all in one DLL (as per a very good suggestion you gave me a year ago I think). The rest is in misc libs I've made in VS*, BCB4, BCB7 and tweaks I don't even remember now.

Cheers! / Ted
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02