Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Domain attribute dynamic naming

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Mar 31, 2017 2:22 AM Last Post By: Shofi Islam Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Shofi Islam

Domain attribute dynamic naming  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 4, 2017 7:42 AM
Hello,
I have ERstudio 2016 and would like to know if an Attribute based on a Domain, can inherit the Entity name along with the Domain name.

Specifically: I would like to create a Domain called ID (Identifier). When the Domain is applied to an entity called CUSTOMER, I'd like the resulting attribute to be automatically called CUSTOMER_ID (effectively following a pattern of +EntityName_DomainName+). Currently I have to drag the Domain to the Entity and manually rename the attribute which is an effort for a large model. This can be done in ERwin using a domain macro, but I'm not sure if a similar function exists in ERstudio.
Shofi Islam

Re: Domain attribute dynamic naming  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 31, 2017 2:22 AM   in response to: Shofi Islam in response to: Shofi Islam
If a job is worth doing well.....

The answer appears to be, define Data Dictionary domains for every attribute required and then edit Macro 'AddDefaultDomains' to add attributes, based on the domains. You can edit the macro script to pickup the entity name (the code is already present).

To make life easier once done, the macro can be bound to a key so you can populate a default set of attributes once the entities are created.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02