Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Has anyone managed to complete a cross-platform app ?

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 26 - Last Post: Aug 29, 2017 9:50 PM Last Post By: Yogi Yang
George Kirkwood

Has anyone managed to complete a cross-platform app ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 8, 2017 8:49 AM
I am at the end of my tether with FireMonkey. After paying to upgrade to Berlin, then the mobile add-on, I've spent nearly a year on 3 enterprise apps. It's easy to create a "Hello World" app, but try to do anything more demanding like using threads and database connections, and it;s a whole new world of pain. I've been developing with Delphi since version 1, but using the same techniques in FireMonkey is so painful.

My apps often don't do the same thing twice, and can crash as easily as a spooked horse. The slightest thing and the app crashes. This can be as simple as setting focus to a control. Even try..except blocks don't always catch the errors.

Has anyone managed to get through this pain barrier and actually create anything useful and, more importantly, reliable ? My software update renewal is due soon, and so far all I seem to have done is wasted my money and nearly a year of development time. All my existing apps in XCode and Android Studio / Eclipse work with no problems, so why does FireMonkey have such a hard time working ?
Markus Humm

Re: Has anyone managed to complete a cross-platform app ?  
  Posted: Mar 8, 2017 9:38 AM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
Am 08.03.2017 um 17:49 schrieb George Kirkwood:
I am at the end of my tether with FireMonkey. After paying to upgrade to Berlin, then the mobile add-on, I've spent nearly a year on 3 enterprise apps. It's easy to create a "Hello World" app, but try to do anything more demanding like using threads and database connections, and it;s a whole new world of pain. I've been developing with Delphi since version 1, but using the same techniques in FireMonkey is so painful.

My apps often don't do the same thing twice, and can crash as easily as a spooked horse. The slightest thing and the app crashes. This can be as simple as setting focus to a control. Even try..except blocks don't always catch the errors.

Has anyone managed to get through this pain barrier and actually create anything useful and, more importantly, reliable ? My software update renewal is due soon, and so far all I seem to have done is wasted my money and nearly a year of development time. All my existing apps in XCode and Android Studio / Eclipse work with no problems, so why does FireMonkey have such a hard time working ?

Hello,

there are enough FMX based mobile apps out there.
One for instance is for live streaming of several surveillance cameras etc.

And here are some more customers using it:
https://www.embarcadero.com/de/products/rad-studio/customers
https://www.embarcadero.com/de/products/delphi/customers

And that list is not complete by far.

Some things about your crashes: I'm building an Android app myself and
one thing to learn was, that you should use the FireDAC SQLConnection in
the same thread you created it. My app had sporadic crashes when I tried
to load my data in a TTask until I found that one out.

Greetings

Markus
George Kirkwood

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 10:39 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 08.03.2017 um 17:49 schrieb George Kirkwood:

Hello,

there are enough FMX based mobile apps out there.
One for instance is for live streaming of several surveillance cameras etc.

And here are some more customers using it:
https://www.embarcadero.com/de/products/rad-studio/customers
https://www.embarcadero.com/de/products/delphi/customers

And that list is not complete by far.

Some things about your crashes: I'm building an Android app myself and
one thing to learn was, that you should use the FireDAC SQLConnection in
the same thread you created it. My app had sporadic crashes when I tried
to load my data in a TTask until I found that one out.

Greetings

Markus

Thanks Markus,

I had already worked out that Threads are a big problem, and I use them to carry out tasks in the background. I can get all that working just fine, but sometimes the app just hangs for no apparent reason and no problems are logged. So then it becomes really difficult to debug.

FireMonkey looks very promising, but after a year of continually hitting brick walls I just wanted to hear other users' thoughts.

.. George
steven chesser

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 12:19 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
I have a iOS / Android app now for company I work for... I also had to write a REST sever too while doing all this. Started back in late August and finally made it to the mobile stores few weeks ago.

It works fine in Win32 but that mode is only for me to quickly test things.

FMX is touchy ... Mobile is touchy ... Everything has to be spot on and well structured. I had many times it worked perfect in Win32 ... but mobile, would blow up.

I use TONS of threads .... only thing that kills me is TBitmap in threads .. since gotta synchronize back to deal with them nicely..

But I was able to get something made... it took awhile.. a few head banging events. But eventually it worked. My company just had an event to show case all of software to customers on the west cost this past
weekend. They took 10 , $39 walmart phones with them.. about 30 customers or so play with it on these phones, and as far as I was told, went off without a hitch for 2 days.
loki loki

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 12:45 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
On 3/8/2017 7:49 PM, George Kirkwood wrote:

welcome to firemonkey :)

Actually delphi is a good choice for multi plateform but firemonkey
really just a way to not go !! :(

Me i decide to not use ANY component beyond Tcontrol (i absolutely
redraw all the components i use, even simple control like Trectangle,
etc..) ... yes lot of work but at the end i have something very very
fast and stable, no limit in the design also

I do everything as possible myself (even think like json, etc.) and try
to avoid at the big maximun anything from the source code of delphi.

the fundement of delphi (draw everything via opengl) is very strong and
good, but everything made after Tcontrol just bad, slow, no way to go.

my control suite is here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/alcinoe/

and a apk demo of the controls : https://tinyurl.com/zsamrbn
Dave Nottage

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 1:24 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
George Kirkwood wrote:

Has anyone managed to get through this pain barrier and actually create anything useful and, more importantly,
reliable ?

Yes. If you can report specific, reproducible problems, they're more likely to be resolved.

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Hints, tips and tricks at: http://www.delphiworlds.com/blog
Ken Randall

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 11:12 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
I Have 3 apps now published on all platforms and they work fine
including using threads.

George Kirkwood wrote:

I am at the end of my tether with FireMonkey. After paying to upgrade
to Berlin, then the mobile add-on, I've spent nearly a year on 3
enterprise apps. It's easy to create a "Hello World" app, but try to
do anything more demanding like using threads and database
connections, and it;s a whole new world of pain. I've been developing
with Delphi since version 1, but using the same techniques in
FireMonkey is so painful.
Eli M

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 11:23 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
Yes I have completed quite a few cross platform apps.

The trick with Firemonkey is you really have to know how mobile works and doesn't work in order to be able to not do things that will get you into trouble.

Things that work:

1) TTabControl
2) Premium Styles
3) TFrames
4) TNetHTTPClient
5) TFDMemTable and TMemIniFile
6) AnonThread.pas
7) One codebase One UI
8) Third party components
9) LiveBindings

Painful things:
1) THTTPRIO
2) Tasks/Futures
3) TXMLDocument
4) TCameraComponent
5) System.JSON
6) Manual drawing
7) Push notifications
8) LiveBindings

Edit: Treasure Trove of code:
https://github.com/FMXExpress/Firemonkey/tree/master/FMXExpress
Shanil M

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 11:36 PM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
Hi George I've had exactly the same experience as you. I've been an on/off delphi windows developer since delphi 1, but fmx has been a whole new level of pain and steep learning curve for me. I chose a test project that allowed me to design and learn as many areas as possible, and funny enough it has ended up to be something viable enough for the app store. However I have come across way too many buggy components for my liking, and have always had to find workarounds. Sometimes workarounds do not exist and I've just given up including certain features in my app. I have even considered looking at alternative stable products but considering the investment made in Berlin, I laboured on and am at the point where it's viable to develop apps in firemonkey but with a good deal of blood, sweat and tears. Pity that win32/vcl just works and is stable, but fmx is riddled with so many bugs. Thanks to the guys on this forum for guiding me through some of my misconceptions.
Yogi Yang

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 9:37 PM   in response to: Shanil M in response to: Shanil M
Shanil M wrote:
Hi George I've had exactly the same experience as you. I've been an on/off delphi windows developer since delphi 1, but fmx has been a whole new level of pain and steep learning curve for me. I chose a test project that allowed me to design and learn as many areas as possible, and funny enough it has ended up to be something viable enough for the app store. However I have come across way too many buggy components for my liking, and have always had to find workarounds. Sometimes workarounds do not exist and I've just given up including certain features in my app. I have even considered looking at alternative stable products but considering the investment made in Berlin, I laboured on and am at the point where it's viable to develop apps in firemonkey but with a good deal of blood, sweat and tears. Pity that win32/vcl just works and is stable, but fmx is riddled with so many bugs. Thanks to the guys on this forum for guiding me through some of my misconceptions.

This banging of my head on the wall to get things working and sorted out has always been problematic for me (and I don't want to develop Alzheimer btw ;) ) so I have never adopted FMX for anything not even window desktop app.

For Mobile app development I have adopted B4X. About this all that I can say is that I am blessed with a very stable development tool, well thought out underlying library, prompt and very helpful community and extremely reasonably priced product.

I also use an expensive tool called WinDev Mobile (there is a free version available also). It shielded me from having to learn the nitty-gritty of mobile development (when I was just starting to enter mobile development) and got me up and running in just 7 days. I have build 18 Andorid and iOS app using WM... for various customers.

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 3:00 AM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
George Kirkwood wrote:

I succeeded to develop a complex Android/iOS app during 6 months but it was not easy and long. I use a DataSnap server/client rest, threads (be careful with DataSnap about threads), very big database (SQLite in the app, firebird on the server), a calendar, long and complex forms, TMS components... many problem (rotation, virtual keyboard on the inputs, crashes, etc.), I had to use some native functions to create a mail, trigger a call, etc, but now it works perfectly on any Android and iOS version, no crash, good performance. The last update of Delphi Berlin is required about the bugs fix in FMX and to be able to run on the last iOS. Now I'm proud of my app. All difficulties have a solution, but yes, the cross-plateform solutions have bugs and a small community so it's difficult to find solutions in the forums. But no need to learn Java + Swift. For a Delphi developer, it's a good choice, for other ones, no.
Mike Margerum

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 5:08 AM   in response to: Registered User in response to: Registered User
I succeeded to develop a complex Android/iOS app during 6 months but it was not easy and long. I use a DataSnap server/client rest, threads (be careful with DataSnap about threads), very big database (SQLite in the app, firebird on the server), a calendar, long and complex forms, TMS components... many problem (rotation, virtual keyboard on the inputs, crashes, etc.), I had to use some native functions to create a mail, trigger a call, etc, but now it works perfectly on any Android and iOS version, no cra
sh, good performance. The last update of Delphi Berlin is required about the bugs fix in FMX and to be able to run on the last iOS. Now I'm proud of my app. All difficulties have a solution, but yes, the cross-plateform solutions have bugs and a small community so it's difficult to find solutions in the forums. But no need to learn Java + Swift. For a Delphi developer, it's a good choice, for other ones, no.

I came to a very different conclusion. Delphi is only useful as a
native VCL based windows application development tool. First I nixed a
mobile project after getting about 80% of it done due to issues similar
to yours: threading issues, poor responsive UI handling, inflexible UI
Controls, IDE hangs, sluggishness, different memory systems (arc/non
arc), lack of multiple Forms.

I did try to salvage some of the FMX code to run on mac only. I wrapped
all of my controls up in interfaces that could be used in both FMX and
VCL along with View Models that interacted with them. It was a ton of
code, but it let me keep my windows forms as VCL and use FMX for mac and
worked fabulously on windows. I also ripped out all TDataset based code
which was a major win. On the mac front, this code was slow and
unstable. The IDE would routinely hang and the app would crash with
stack traces deep in the bowels of FMX. Seemed to be issues mostly
around anonymous threads and synchronizing back to the UI thread.

Every Delphi release fixes some things and breaks other things. By
committing to FMX, you are committing to upgrading Delphi since apple's
platform is very much a moving target. I'm relieved i can stay on
Berlin now since I will only be using the VCL which thankfully isnt
changing much these days.

I'm done with FMX. I will be using VCL only going forward and will use
swift for the mac and iOS projects.

The reality is I support code for many years and the effort in writing
code pales in comparison to the cost of supporting code.
Markus Humm

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 3:18 PM   in response to: Mike Margerum in response to: Mike Margerum
Am 13.03.2017 um 13:08 schrieb Mike Margerum:
I succeeded to develop a complex Android/iOS app during 6 months but it was not easy and long. I use a DataSnap server/client rest, threads (be careful with DataSnap about threads), very big database (SQLite in the app, firebird on the server), a calendar, long and complex forms, TMS components... many problem (rotation, virtual keyboard on the inputs, crashes, etc.), I had to use some native functions to create a mail, trigger a call, etc, but now it works perfectly on any Android and iOS version, no c
ra
sh, good performance. The last update of Delphi Berlin is required about the bugs fix in FMX and to be able to run on the last iOS. Now I'm proud of my app. All difficulties have a solution, but yes, the cross-plateform solutions have bugs and a small community so it's difficult to find solutions in the forums. But no need to learn Java + Swift. For a Delphi developer, it's a good choice, for other ones, no.

I came to a very different conclusion. Delphi is only useful as a
native VCL based windows application development tool. First I nixed a
mobile project after getting about 80% of it done due to issues similar
to yours: threading issues, poor responsive UI handling, inflexible UI
Controls, IDE hangs, sluggishness, different memory systems (arc/non
arc), lack of multiple Forms.

Can you elaborate on "lack of multiple forms"?

Greetings

Markus
Mike Margerum

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 5:26 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm

Greetings

Markus

Everything on mobile lives in one TForm. This is based on XE8 which is
the last time I tried to make FMX work on iOS. This mobile project will
end up being 50 forms. EMB's multiview and tab control is how i'm
supposed to build a large mobile application? Evertyhing living on one
form? Sure you can use TFrame to embed stuff, but it's a kludge and you
lost design time previewing.

You can technically use multiple TForms, but then you lose transitions.

I have a very high standard that what I produce looks and behaves the
way an app should behave on a platform. I probably could have held my
nose and got the last 20% working, but then I would have had to look at
the monstrosity I created for the next decade.
Markus Humm

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 8:58 AM   in response to: Mike Margerum in response to: Mike Margerum
Am 14.03.2017 um 13:26 schrieb Mike Margerum:

Greetings

Markus

Hello,

ok, if you want to swipe between forms then ok, that doesn't seem to be
possible.

But 50 forms for a mobile app? Really?
What kind of app has 50 forms? Is it in Google Play so I can look at it?

My app I'm currently developing has > 30 categories, but they are
dynamically created and all live in the same TVertScrollbox. I can swipe
to the next category as well, but maybe not with transition, as this is
all in the same TVertScrollbox.

Greetings

Markus
Mike Margerum

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 9:19 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm

My app I'm currently developing has > 30 categories, but they are
dynamically created and all live in the same TVertScrollbox. I can swipe
to the next category as well, but maybe not with transition, as this is
all in the same TVertScrollbox.

Greetings

Markus

Really. It's not an app for the public. It's an enterprise app I work
on which is very complex. customers, products, invoices, inventory,
reports, orders, pricing, route management.

The iPad pro is pretty much a laptop (also just as fast) at this point
and our field people love it. They also love the app because its fast
and works like an iPad app should.

App also runs on phones too

Thank god I switched gears to swift.
Yogi Yang

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 9:50 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
FYI.

This is still small. I have developed an app that integrated and works with Odoo and it has 96 forms. Again this is partial integration as it only supports the CRM and Sales modules of Odoo.

Currently I am in process of integrating Manufacturing module.
Graham Murt

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 11:51 PM   in response to: Mike Margerum in response to: Mike Margerum
You might be interested in my components which allow form transitions between forms...

https://twitter.com/kscomponents/status/745240982564769792

And a new (updated) slide menu component about to be released which allows jumping between multiple forms via a slide in menu...

https://twitter.com/kscomponents/status/839470707994157056

Hoping to get a new version of the components uploaded to BitBucket later this evening.

https://bitbucket.org/gmurt/kscomponents

Mike Margerum wrote:

Greetings

Markus

Dave Nottage

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 12:05 AM   in response to: Graham Murt in response to: Graham Murt
Graham Murt wrote:

You might be interested in my components which allow form transitions between forms...

I'm interested! :-)

--
Graham Murt

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 1:28 AM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
No problem Dave,

Will post here once the update is released.

Graham

Dave Nottage wrote:
Graham Murt wrote:

--
Graham Murt

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 4:06 PM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Hi Dave,

Update just released to BitBucket.

Kind regards,
Graham

Dave Nottage wrote:
Graham Murt wrote:

--
Mike Margerum

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 4:11 AM   in response to: Graham Murt in response to: Graham Murt
Nice work Graham.

On 3/15/17 2:51 AM, Graham Murt wrote:

https://twitter.com/kscomponents/status/745240982564769792

And a new (updated) slide menu component about to be released which allows jumping between multiple forms via a slide in menu...

https://twitter.com/kscomponents/status/839470707994157056

Hoping to get a new version of the components uploaded to BitBucket later this evening.

https://bitbucket.org/gmurt/kscomponents

Mike Margerum wrote:

Greetings

Markus

Stéphane WIERZB...

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 5:37 AM   in response to: Graham Murt in response to: Graham Murt
I'm interested too :)
Graham Murt

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 4:07 PM   in response to: Stéphane WIERZB... in response to: Stéphane WIERZB...
Hi Stephane,

Update just released to BitBucket.

Kind regards,
Graham

Stephane Wierzbicki wrote:
I'm interested too :)
Scott Pinkham

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 12:42 PM   in response to: Mike Margerum in response to: Mike Margerum
Mike Margerum wrote:

Greetings

Markus

Delphi for Mobile has come a long way since XE8. I started developing for mobile with XE8, but like many others, had to deal with a lot of bugs/workarounds. With Berlin, it's MUCH better -- I probably would have abandoned Delphi for mobile a long time ago if I still had to use XE8. Nowadays I cringe a bit when I have to go back and work on VCL code -- there are many things that Firemonkey does better; for example it's really easy to make complex controls with Firemonkey since every control can be a container for another control.

I've kept my eye on Visual Studio and their cross-platform solutions, but so far, it seems like it's not quite "there" yet -- but I have no doubt Microsoft will get there eventually. Hopefully Delphi will continue to improve and evolve.
Mike Margerum

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 1:54 PM   in response to: Scott Pinkham in response to: Scott Pinkham
Delphi for Mobile has come a long way since XE8. I started developing for mobile with XE8, but like many others, had to deal with a lot of bugs/workarounds. With Berlin, it's MUCH better -- I probably would have abandoned Delphi for mobile a long time ago if I still had to use XE8. Nowadays I cringe a bit when I have to go back and work on VCL code -- there are many things that Firemonkey does better; for example it's really easy to make complex controls with Firemonkey since every control can be a contai
ner for another control.

I've kept my eye on Visual Studio and their cross-platform solutions, but so far, it seems like it's not quite "there" yet -- but I have no doubt Microsoft will get there eventually. Hopefully Delphi will continue to improve and evolve.

That's good to hear Scott. I genuinely hope EMB succeeds with FM. I
needed an app during the XE8 era though and so used swift. Delphi is a
superlative windows dev tool.

I was already and iOS objC programmer though so it wasn't a huge leap
for me. Also, I do not need Android support which also made swift an
easier choice for me. Otherwise, I might have tried to stick it out.

One thing that killed me was the lack of dynamic UITableViewCell
prototypes. I think they added something similar to this in later XE
releases.

I like c# a lot as a language and also am keeping an eye on Xamarin. A
few years back it was buggy. I also do not trust Microsoft. They keep
blowing up their desktop dev stack. I dont know how anyone uses it.
Bob Carson

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 11:18 AM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
I started with Delphi 1 and was very happy how bug free it was compared to Visual Objects (Computer Associates) or even FoxPro. I programmed a bit in Visual Basic, but came back to Delphi. Although at times the road seemed rough using FireMonkey, the learning experience has been excellent (not always fun). My Web sites are Accessoryware.com and AccessoryMobil.com . Everything I've written since XE2 is strictly FireMonkey. Everything is free to try for 30 days, and free apps too. So far I think Berlin is the most stable. Most is compiled with 10.1 update 2. Hang in there with FireMonkey. I think it has a big future!
Bob Carson
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02