Help

Thread: Delphi XE7 And iOS

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Mar 1, 2017 11:47 AM Last Post By: Eli M
Sabina Brvar-Iv...

Delphi XE7 And iOS
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 28, 2017 8:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to deploy an app made in Delphi XE7 Firemonkey and successfully deploy it to the iTunes store in the last year or two.

I have found that because of changes to iTunes delphi xe7 no longer compiles apps that can be uploaded to itunes. I've also had no luck finding any hotfixes or such - do they even exist or is XE7 mobile development a lost cause?

Cheers,
Primoz

ps: I'm not a mac user nor do i have an iphone or anything, but it appears that both are needed to create iphone apps - not exactly what I understood from marketing - can this be made clearer in any way that you can't just recompile your code and it will work on iphone, but instead have to buy an entire computer just to deploy? </rant> :)
Markus Humm

Re: Delphi XE7 And iOS
  Posted: Mar 1, 2017 9:33 AM   in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv... in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv...
Am 01.03.2017 um 05:22 schrieb Sabina Brvar-Ivancic:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to deploy an app made in Delphi XE7 Firemonkey and successfully deploy it to the iTunes store in the last year or two.

I have found that because of changes to iTunes delphi xe7 no longer compiles apps that can be uploaded to itunes. I've also had no luck finding any hotfixes or such - do they even exist or is XE7 mobile development a lost cause?

Cheers,
Primoz

ps: I'm not a mac user nor do i have an iphone or anything, but it appears that both are needed to create iphone apps - not exactly what I understood from marketing - can this be made clearer in any way that you can't just recompile your code and it will work on iphone, but instead have to buy an entire computer just to deploy? </rant> :)

Hello,

1. there was a change once where Apple required apps to support 64 bit
(as well?). But I don't kinow which Delphi version made that
possible, could have been XE8.

2. Compiling iOS applications requires a MAC because you need to use
some Apple tools (Apple requirement). The way around this is to use
a service like Macinthecloud.com. Compilation will run on on their
MAC then. But of course this costs a little bit of money.

Greetings

Markus
Dave Nottage

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 11:19 AM   in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv... in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv...
Sabina Brvar-Ivancic wrote:

I have found that because of changes to iTunes delphi xe7 no longer compiles apps that can be uploaded to itunes.

What error messages etc, if any, are there?

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Hints, tips and tricks at: http://www.delphiworlds.com/blog
Eli M

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 11:47 AM   in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv... in response to: Sabina Brvar-Iv...
Technically you can design and build the iOS app without a Mac you just can't deploy it to the iOS device without a Mac.

XE7 supports up to iOS9.

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/PlatformStatus/en/Main_Page

Mobile development doesn't really work the same as desktop development where you can continue using an older tool. The mobile platforms change all the time and require security fixes and new versions of their SDKs so it's a continue process of updating all the time. Apple updates XCode all the time and at some point older versions of XCode can't deploy to the App Store either because of new Apple requirements.

It's not really an Embarcadero issue it's a App Store issue that Apple and Google require.

https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/workaround-steps-for-building-ios-32-bit-applications-for-ios-9-with-xe7-and-xe8
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02