Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project



Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Feb 6, 2017 6:22 AM Last Post By: Lou Feliz
Freddy Bueno

Posts: 11
Registered: 10/15/03
Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 2, 2017 1:50 PM
Hello.
I need your opinion.

I am looking for a server to host my intraweb Application.
Actually, it will handle 400 users, perhaps 100 at the same time on several defined hours of the day. (7/24)
It's Intraweb XIV, and use JQuery consuming Soap Web Services (written in Delphi) with MySQL Database. (hosted in the same server).
It will manage data and Images for processing. I expect the DB grows to 3 GB of hard disk space.

What features do you recommmed to me? a server with how many cpus? how many RAM? how many other features?

4 Gb RAM and a Intel Processor at 3Ghz is enough?

tell me about your experience....

Eitan Arbel

Posts: 508
Registered: 2/24/13
Re: Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 3, 2017 7:55 AM   in response to: Freddy Bueno in response to: Freddy Bueno
i think this question can be answered in 2 main ways :
1. if you want the server to be placed at your place (home or office)
2. if you want the server to run in a VPS

if you want the first option, then i think you should plan how much money you are ready to spend on it.
the main problem will be a Symmetric or at least a "fair" upload rate.
a 3GB database is a "nice size",but not so big. the problem will probably be with the (many and big?) images.
i would try to use an i7 or i5 with 8-16 GB RAM, an SSD drive for the system and server app(s), and a "regular" HD for the data(a WD Blue would suffice), and a 64bit Windows (i use Win7-64).
it's a strong system, but you will know that you won't really need to look at the hardware\system side if you will have problems.
this is a one time buy, at least until you will have many more users and need to move to bigger server(s).

the second option - to use a VPS, is very convenient in the way you would want to tune you "hardware" for your real needs.
you will not need to worry about power outages, because someone else is worrying about that... :D
in VPS you are able to control how many CPU's will run, memory needs, bandwidth, and more.

for your specific server - if you have a strong enough computer and ready to run - go for it, and always monitor the behavior.
i found that a testing a clean load of my system from my 3g\4g cellphone can tell me a lot about the "health" of the system.
if your ready computer is not good enough for 100 concurrent users, then i would look for a good deal for VPS.

4 Gb RAM and a Intel Processor at 3Ghz is enough?
a single 3GHz Core\CPU can work slower then a 2GHz CPU with Hyper Threading, so the speed is not so relevant today, as the number of cores\HT.
what CPU is it?
how old is the computer (that can tell me a lot about it's capabilities) ?
what Windows are you running (or want to run) ?
Lou Feliz

Posts: 114
Registered: 7/16/97
Re: Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 3, 2017 8:57 AM   in response to: Freddy Bueno in response to: Freddy Bueno
I used to worry about this too, then I started used AWS (Amazon) services. Depending on your budget you can setup a nice scalable system with load balancer with SSL terminateion, highly available MYSQL database server for approx $150 to $250 . month.

I have also used VPS service like webkeepers where cost needs to be minimized and app is deployed on just two VPS (1 LArge Windows for Intraweb, 1 Medium Linux for Database (Postgres or FirebirdSQL) and that can be done for about $50/month for what you describe I also then use an Amazon s3 bucket as my remote backup target for app and db data - just in case VPS crashes and is not recoverable.

Good luck!

Freddy Bueno wrote:
Hello.
I need your opinion.

I am looking for a server to host my intraweb Application.
Actually, it will handle 400 users, perhaps 100 at the same time on several defined hours of the day. (7/24)
It's Intraweb XIV, and use JQuery consuming Soap Web Services (written in Delphi) with MySQL Database. (hosted in the same server).
It will manage data and Images for processing. I expect the DB grows to 3 GB of hard disk space.

What features do you recommmed to me? a server with how many cpus? how many RAM? how many other features?

4 Gb RAM and a Intel Processor at 3Ghz is enough?

tell me about your experience....

Freddy Bueno

Posts: 11
Registered: 10/15/03
Re: Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 4, 2017 8:17 PM   in response to: Lou Feliz in response to: Lou Feliz
Lou Feliz wrote:
I used to worry about this too, then I started used AWS (Amazon) services. Depending on your budget you can setup a nice scalable system with load balancer with SSL terminateion, highly available MYSQL database server for approx $150 to $250 . month.

I have also used VPS service like webkeepers where cost needs to be minimized and app is deployed on just two VPS (1 LArge Windows for Intraweb, 1 Medium Linux for Database (Postgres or FirebirdSQL) and that can be done for about $50/month for what you describe I also then use an Amazon s3 bucket as my remote backup target for app and db data - just in case VPS crashes and is not recoverable.

Good luck!

Freddy Bueno wrote:
Hello.
I need your opinion.

I am looking for a server to host my intraweb Application.
Actually, it will handle 400 users, perhaps 100 at the same time on several defined hours of the day. (7/24)
It's Intraweb XIV, and use JQuery consuming Soap Web Services (written in Delphi) with MySQL Database. (hosted in the same server).
It will manage data and Images for processing. I expect the DB grows to 3 GB of hard disk space.

What features do you recommmed to me? a server with how many cpus? how many RAM? how many other features?

4 Gb RAM and a Intel Processor at 3Ghz is enough?

tell me about your experience....


I am studying AWS (amazon ec2), and I am analizying the costs.

am glad to hear that you work with AWS, but I get surprised when you say "that VPS crashs and is not recoverable". Did it hapend to you?
Am not good with all the configurations that AWS provide.. so, can you help us with a little explanation about how load balancing works for you?

I have in mind Windows 2012 server, my project is just growning, reciently created, so my users are few for the next 2 months.
so my budget right now is around 50$ or 70$.

Lou Feliz

Posts: 114
Registered: 7/16/97
Re: Best prerequisites for deply Intaweb project
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 6, 2017 6:22 AM   in response to: Freddy Bueno in response to: Freddy Bueno
In my early experiences with Windows VPS hosts, I had one crash on me over a year ago, luckily it was just a demonstration app, but I learned from that and now make sure I backup data from my VPS on regular basis, just in case it happens again.

Getting started with right size is tough when starting if you want to keep costs low, but it can be done. It also means that as you add more paying customers, you will add more resources or upgrade them. I am currently working on an app that will deployed in the AWS Free Tier, which might be an option for you to get started. A while back I posted a link to a doc I created on working with AWS, I was planning on updating it as part of a project I am working on. If you search forum for my old posts it may be here.

- Lou


Freddy Bueno wrote:
Lou Feliz wrote:
I used to worry about this too, then I started used AWS (Amazon) services. Depending on your budget you can setup a nice scalable system with load balancer with SSL terminateion, highly available MYSQL database server for approx $150 to $250 . month.

I have also used VPS service like webkeepers where cost needs to be minimized and app is deployed on just two VPS (1 LArge Windows for Intraweb, 1 Medium Linux for Database (Postgres or FirebirdSQL) and that can be done for about $50/month for what you describe I also then use an Amazon s3 bucket as my remote backup target for app and db data - just in case VPS crashes and is not recoverable.

Good luck!

Freddy Bueno wrote:
Hello.
I need your opinion.

I am looking for a server to host my intraweb Application.
Actually, it will handle 400 users, perhaps 100 at the same time on several defined hours of the day. (7/24)
It's Intraweb XIV, and use JQuery consuming Soap Web Services (written in Delphi) with MySQL Database. (hosted in the same server).
It will manage data and Images for processing. I expect the DB grows to 3 GB of hard disk space.

What features do you recommmed to me? a server with how many cpus? how many RAM? how many other features?

4 Gb RAM and a Intel Processor at 3Ghz is enough?

tell me about your experience....


I am studying AWS (amazon ec2), and I am analizying the costs.

am glad to hear that you work with AWS, but I get surprised when you say "that VPS crashs and is not recoverable". Did it hapend to you?
Am not good with all the configurations that AWS provide.. so, can you help us with a little explanation about how load balancing works for you?

I have in mind Windows 2012 server, my project is just growning, reciently created, so my users are few for the next 2 months.
so my budget right now is around 50$ or 70$.

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02