Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Get full linker error message?

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jan 23, 2017 10:32 AM Last Post By: Greg Reese
Greg Reese

Get full linker error message?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 23, 2017 7:02 AM
In Builder Berlin update 2, I get the linker error message

c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\18.0\Bin\CodeGear.Cpp.Targets(3592,5): error : Error: Unresolved external 'Extended_Enum<System::UnicodeString, enum_question_set_order, {714}...' referenced from myfile.obj

The text "{714}..." is what is literally in the error message - it is not my abbreviation. How can I get the full name of the unresolved external, i.e., find out what "{714}..." is short for? Both the Build and Output tabs of the Message window show the same abbreviation.

Thanks.
Greg Reese
Antonio Estevez

Re: Get full linker error message?  
  Posted: Jan 23, 2017 8:15 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
El 23/01/2017 a las 16:02, Greg Reese escribió:
In Builder Berlin update 2, I get the linker error message

c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\18.0\Bin\CodeGear.Cpp.Targets(3592,5): error : Error: Unresolved external 'Extended_Enum<System::UnicodeString, enum_question_set_order, {714}...' referenced from myfile.obj

The text "{714}..." is what is literally in the error message - it is not my abbreviation. How can I get the full name of the unresolved external, i.e., find out what "{714}..." is short for? Both the Build and Output tabs of the Message window show the same abbreviation.

Thanks.
Greg Reese

Move the mouse cursor over the error message and a tooltip will show the
full message.

Additionally, you can right click over the message, select "Copy" from the popup menu and paste to a text editor

Greg Reese

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 9:11 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
full message.

Additionally, you can right click over the message, select "Copy" from the popup menu and paste to a text editor

Unfortunately, both of those still show the same message. Also right-clicking and selecting "Save messages" or "Save all messages" produces the same, shortened text.

Greg Reese
Antonio Estevez

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 9:49 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
El 23/01/2017 a las 18:11, Greg Reese escribió:
full message.

Unfortunately, both of those still show the same message. Also right-clicking and selecting "Save messages" or "Save all messages" produces the same, shortened text.

Greg Reese

Are you using Delphi Generics in your code?

Greg Reese

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 10:32 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Are you using Delphi Generics in your code?

No, I'm not. The unresolved external is part of a variadic class template that I wrote. It's all C++.
Greg Reese
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02