Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Unable to access to the Employee database using the InterBase ODBC

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jan 18, 2017 5:57 PM Last Post By: Patricio Cerda
Patricio Cerda

Unable to access to the Employee database using the InterBase ODBC
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 9, 2017 2:38 PM
Hi,

I downloaded and installed the InterBase ODBC driver from this path: http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28975.

The problem is that I can't access to my database nor to Employee database using the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. When I open this application, configured the required parameters and tested the connection, it then shows the following error message: "No fue posible abrir la base de datos 'localhost:C:\Apps10\VentasMovil\IB\VENTASMOVIL.GDB'".

I'm using InterBase XE3 on a 64 bit machine with Windows 10.
On the ODBC driver I have the following configuration parameters:
DSN=InterBaseServer
DataBase=localhost:C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\Samples\Data\EMPLOYEE.GDB
Account=SYSDBA // I also test without an account
Pasword=masterkey // I also test without an account

What I'm doing wrong?

Best regards,
Patricio Cerda
quinn wildman

Re: Unable to access to the Employee database using the InterBase ODBC
  Posted: Jan 12, 2017 10:32 AM   in response to: Patricio Cerda in response to: Patricio Cerda
The most common cause for the ODBC driver to fail is you have an old client installed. So, I recommend doing a client only install and see if that fixes the problem.

Also noye that your post references the 32 bit version of ODBC - which is quite alright. However, if you have a 64 bit application, then you will want to be working with 64 bit ODBC.

Patricio Cerda wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded and installed the InterBase ODBC driver from this path: http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28975.

The problem is that I can't access to my database nor to Employee database using the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. When I open this application, configured the required parameters and tested the connection, it then shows the following error message: "No fue posible abrir la base de datos 'localhost:C:\Apps10\VentasMovil\IB\VENTASMOVIL.GDB'".

I'm using InterBase XE3 on a 64 bit machine with Windows 10.
On the ODBC driver I have the following configuration parameters:
DSN=InterBaseServer
DataBase=localhost:C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\Samples\Data\EMPLOYEE.GDB
Account=SYSDBA // I also test without an account
Pasword=masterkey // I also test without an account

What I'm doing wrong?

Best regards,
Patricio Cerda
Patricio Cerda

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 3:31 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Hi Quinn, thanks for your help.

The most common cause for the ODBC driver to fail is you have an old client installed. So, I recommend doing a client only install and see if that fixes the problem.

Based on what you suggested, I did the following: I opened the InterBaseXE3 installer ("install_windows.exe") from where I selected only the ODBC option and proceeded to install it. Next, I opened the "instregodbc.exe" from the InterBaseODBC folder. Then, I opened the odbc data source administrator from ControlPanel (64 bits) and completed the required parameters but, when I used the "Odbcib.dll" client from C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\18.0\InterBaseODBC folder, where the driver was recently installed, it fails again. Finally, when I used the C:\Windows\System32\ibclient64.dll file, it worked fine.

Why must I use the 'ibclient64.dll' client from System32 and not the one from SysWOW (64 bits)?

Best regards,
Patricio Cerda
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 5:21 PM   in response to: Patricio Cerda in response to: Patricio Cerda
Patricio Cerda wrote:

Based on what you suggested, I did the following: I opened the InterBaseXE3 installer ("install_windows.exe") from where I selected only the ODBC option and proceeded to install it. Next, I opened the "instregodbc.exe" from the InterBaseODBC folder. Then, I opened the odbc data source administrator from ControlPanel (64 bits) and completed the required parameters but, when I used the "Odbcib.dll" client from C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\18.0\InterBaseODBC folder, where the driver was rece
ntly installed, it fails again. Finally, when I used the C:\Windows\System32\ibclient64.dll file, it worked fine.

Why must I use the 'ibclient64.dll' client from System32 and not the one from SysWOW (64 bits)?

Best regards,
Patricio Cerda

SysWOW is the 32 bit dll directory, system32 is the 64 bit dll directory. Yes
the naming convention is confusing, but System32 is for 64 bit DLL's under a 64
bit version of Windows.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
Patricio Cerda

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 5:57 PM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Oh, now I understood.
Thanks Jeff

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
Patricio Cerda wrote:

Based on what you suggested, I did the following: I opened the InterBaseXE3 installer ("install_windows.exe") from where I selected only the ODBC option and proceeded to install it. Next, I opened the "instregodbc.exe" from the InterBaseODBC folder. Then, I opened the odbc data source administrator from ControlPanel (64 bits) and completed the required parameters but, when I used the "Odbcib.dll" client from C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\18.0\InterBaseODBC folder, where the driver was rece
ntly installed, it fails again. Finally, when I used the C:\Windows\System32\ibclient64.dll file, it worked fine.

Best regards,
Patricio Cerda

SysWOW is the 32 bit dll directory, system32 is the 64 bit dll directory. Yes
the naming convention is confusing, but System32 is for 64 bit DLL's under a 64
bit version of Windows.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02