Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Push Notifications

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Jan 1, 2017 9:42 AM Last Post By: George Kirkwood
George Kirkwood

Push Notifications  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 31, 2016 5:23 AM
I have created an app that uses Kinvey to send Push messages to a device. When the app is running, it arrives and you can respond to it (it's an Integer that tells the app to synchronise in the background) - no visible message is displayed. However, when the app is in the background the messages just appears as a notification on the status bar. I have not coded a notification, so I can't understand why this happens. All I want is the app to receive the message and carry out some functions based on the code that is received.

I have tried samples form dozens of websites and forums and nothing helps. I have even tried to get help from Embarcadero, but this process is obtuse at best. Has anyone managed to get a push notification to carry out a function without displaying on the title bar ?

Any help gratefully received.
Markus Humm

Re: Push Notifications  
  Posted: Dec 31, 2016 8:20 AM   in response to: George Kirkwood in response to: George Kirkwood
Am 31.12.2016 um 14:23 schrieb George Kirkwood:
I have created an app that uses Kinvey to send Push messages to a device. When the app is running, it arrives and you can respond to it (it's an Integer that tells the app to synchronise in the background) - no visible message is displayed. However, when the app is in the background the messages just appears as a notification on the status bar. I have not coded a notification, so I can't understand why this happens. All I want is the app to receive the message and carry out some functions based on the cod
e that is received.

I have tried samples form dozens of websites and forums and nothing helps. I have even tried to get help from Embarcadero, but this process is obtuse at best. Has anyone managed to get a push notification to carry out a function without displaying on the title bar ?

Hello,

Android or iOS or both?
Can this be moved in a service maybe which continues to run in the
background?

Greetings

Markus
George Kirkwood

Re: Push Notifications  
  Posted: Jan 1, 2017 9:42 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Hi Markus,

I need both iOS and Android. I tried using a Service, but things like database access don't work in Services (or I couldn't work it out). Is that something you've tried ?

Thanks for any help.

.. George

Markus Humm wrote:
Am 31.12.2016 um 14:23 schrieb George Kirkwood:
I have created an app that uses Kinvey to send Push messages to a device. When the app is running, it arrives and you can respond to it (it's an Integer that tells the app to synchronise in the background) - no visible message is displayed. However, when the app is in the background the messages just appears as a notification on the status bar. I have not coded a notification, so I can't understand why this happens. All I want is the app to receive the message and carry out some functions based on the cod
e that is received.

Hello,

Android or iOS or both?
Can this be moved in a service maybe which continues to run in the
background?

Greetings

Markus
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02