Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Turbo C console application to be recompiled for 32/64 bit machines

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Oct 18, 2016 11:39 AM Last Post By: Antoine Eliya
Antoine Eliya

Turbo C console application to be recompiled for 32/64 bit machines
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 17, 2016 10:29 AM
Hello all,

I have a console application written in the C language using the Borland Turbo C. I need to make it run natively (not in emulated mode) on 32/64 bit windows machines (always in the console environment). I am thinking of recompiling the application source code with a newer compiler of the same family (which would now be branded Embarcadero) so that presumably the compiler-specific libraries/code in my application get compiled along with the rest of the code, and my application becomes officially 32 or 64 bit. Is this possible? can you please advise me on this issue, or point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Edited by: Antoine Eliya on Oct 17, 2016 10:39 AM
Sebastian Ledesma

Re: Turbo C console application to be recompiled for 32/64 bit machines
  Posted: Oct 17, 2016 11:19 AM   in response to: Antoine Eliya in response to: Antoine Eliya
Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hello all,

I have a console application written in the C language using the Borland Turbo C. I need to make it run natively (not in emulated mode) on 32/64 bit windows machines (always in the console environment). I am thinking of recompiling the application source code with a newer compiler of the same family (which would now be branded Embarcadero) so that presumably the compiler-specific libraries/code in my application get compiled along with the rest of the code, and my application becomes officially 32 or 64 bit. Is this possible? can you please advise me on this issue, or point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

You can use the free BCC 10.1 wich is a pretty modern c++compiler, see: https://www.embarcadero.com/free-tools/ccompiler.
It supersedes the old BCC 5.5 http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/20633
With both you can make Win32 executables that run on Win32/64 machines.
If you want to develop native Win64 you should upgrade to C++Builder 10.1.
Antoine Eliya

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 11:49 AM   in response to: Sebastian Ledesma in response to: Sebastian Ledesma
Sebastian Ledesma wrote:
Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you,

You can use the free BCC 10.1 wich is a pretty modern c++compiler, see: https://www.embarcadero.com/free-tools/ccompiler.
It supersedes the old BCC 5.5 http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/20633
With both you can make Win32 executables that run on Win32/64 machines.
If you want to develop native Win64 you should upgrade to C++Builder 10.1.

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your reply.

Does BCC 10.1 compile ANSI C code, particularly one that is written in Turbo C and is using turbo C libraries etc? i'm asking this because i thought that since BCC is presumably the evolved version of Borland Turbo C, it should naturally have backward compatibility and should therefore compile code written in the previous versions of the compiler.

Edited by: Antoine Eliya on Oct 17, 2016 11:51 AM

Sebastian Ledesma

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 1:29 PM   in response to: Antoine Eliya in response to: Antoine Eliya
Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

Does BCC 10.1 compile ANSI C code, particularly one that is written in Turbo C and is using turbo C libraries etc? i'm asking this because i thought that since BCC is presumably the evolved version of Borland Turbo C, it should naturally have backward compatibility and should therefore compile code written in the previous versions of the compiler.

As I know it supports C99. The parameter -Axxx enables ANSI conformance.
Keep in mind that if your code comes from 90's, it's pretty sure that you will need to update it.

Sebas
Antoine Eliya

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 11:38 AM   in response to: Sebastian Ledesma in response to: Sebastian Ledesma
Sebastian Ledesma wrote:
Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

As I know it supports C99. The parameter -Axxx enables ANSI conformance.
Keep in mind that if your code comes from 90's, it's pretty sure that you will need to update it.

Sebas

Roger Dunk wrote:
Turbo C shipped with a number of proprietary libraries that you won't find in the Windows versions. If your DOS code also relied on any third-party libraries, you're going to need to do a fair amount of work to have it compile under Windows. Also remember that the DOS memory model was different and you could do things like make direct BIOS calls etc. Without seeing your code, it's impossible to say how easy or difficult it will be. In many cases a complete re-write would make more sense.

Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you,

Thank you both, i'll give it a shot.

Edited by: Antoine Eliya on Oct 18, 2016 11:39 AM
Roger Dunk

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 2:49 PM   in response to: Antoine Eliya in response to: Antoine Eliya
Turbo C shipped with a number of proprietary libraries that you won't find in the Windows versions. If your DOS code also relied on any third-party libraries, you're going to need to do a fair amount of work to have it compile under Windows. Also remember that the DOS memory model was different and you could do things like make direct BIOS calls etc. Without seeing your code, it's impossible to say how easy or difficult it will be. In many cases a complete re-write would make more sense.

Antoine Eliya wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you,

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02