Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Why do I need to do a full rebuild all the time? Make no longer works

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Sep 7, 2016 10:01 AM Last Post By: Vladimir Zhuchko
Albert Wiersch

Why do I need to do a full rebuild all the time? Make no longer works
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 2, 2016 3:24 PM
So I'm working on my application... and I think I started noticing this with Windows 10 but not sure if it is a Windows 10 issue or not.

I'm using 10.1 Berlin now.

Why do I almost always need to do a full rebuild of my application in order to get it to run again? When I make a change to a CPP file, and then do a make, it recompiles the changed source file and links, but when I run it, it either doesn't run or I get strange errors. To workaround is to do a full rebuild but this wastes a lot of time because I am doing full rebuilds when they shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone know why this is happening?

If I recall correctly, it started with XE6 after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I've just been living with this issue doing a lot of full rebuilds.
Jan Dijkstra

Re: Why do I need to do a full rebuild all the time? Make no longer works
  Posted: Sep 4, 2016 11:52 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:
So I'm working on my application... and I think I started noticing this with Windows 10 but not sure if it is a Windows 10 issue or not.

I'm using 10.1 Berlin now.

Why do I almost always need to do a full rebuild of my application in order to get it to run again? When I make a change to a CPP file, and then do a make, it recompiles the changed source file and links, but when I run it, it either doesn't run or I get strange errors. To workaround is to do a full rebuild but this wastes a lot of time because I am doing full rebuilds when they shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone know why this is happening?

If I recall correctly, it started with XE6 after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I've just been living with this issue doing a lot of full rebuilds.

Have you tried disabling incremental link? That solved most of the strange app behaviour problems for me (still on XE8, and Windows 7).
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Sep 5, 2016 9:09 AM   in response to: Jan Dijkstra in response to: Jan Dijkstra
Jan Dijkstra wrote:
Have you tried disabling incremental link? That solved most of the strange app behaviour problems for me (still on XE8, and Windows 7).

No, I have not investigated that setting but I will certainly give it a try. Thanks!
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 12:24 PM   in response to: Jan Dijkstra in response to: Jan Dijkstra
Jan Dijkstra wrote:

Looks like disabling incremental link works. This will save me lot of time. Thanks again!
Vladimir Zhuchko

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 10:01 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:
Jan Dijkstra wrote:

Looks like disabling incremental link works. This will save me lot of time. Thanks again!
By the way, this trouble exists only for BCC32.
BCC32C and BCC64 works fine with incremental linking.
This is RSP-12493
--
With best regards
Dr. Vladimir Zhuchko
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02