Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: TSynEditAutoComplete - Any examples or documentation for this?

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: May 22, 2016 7:24 AM Last Post By: Eli M
Carl Olsen

TSynEditAutoComplete - Any examples or documentation for this?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: May 19, 2016 4:34 PM
I am using TSynEdit as a syntax editor for scripting, and I want to add an "AutoComplete" feature (in particular, I want to make it easy for folks to find the bazillion functions that I have exposed to the scripting engine). It appears that TSynEditAutoComplete is the way to go. I added it to my form, and told it to point to my TSynEdit. Now what?

I am guessing that I need to put stuff into the property "AutoCompleteList", but what do I put there? How do I make this active?

Lots of Googling, but I still have not found any kind of proper documentation or examples to learn from.

I'm using XE "Seattle", if that matters.

Thanks!

Carl.
Eivind Bakkestuen

Re: TSynEditAutoComplete - Any examples or documentation for this?  
  Posted: May 20, 2016 5:37 AM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
AutoCompleteList

Use the source? Checking how the above is used in the synedit sources
may give some hints.

--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
Carl Olsen

Posted: May 20, 2016 12:22 PM   in response to: Eivind Bakkestuen in response to: Eivind Bakkestuen
Use the source? Checking how the above is used in the synedit sources may give some hints.

Yep. Some hints, but not much. It's hard to follow the code, and it's barely commented.

For anyone else having trouble here, here is what I did find:

If you go to https://github.com/SynEdit/SynEdit, there are examples. Click on "download as .zip" to get them all. The samples will not initially compile in Delphi XE Seattle, but if you "Ignore" all the messages, and rem-out any line of code that the compiler does not like, then all the ones I have tried compile fine. The samples have near-zero documentation, but at least they can be studied, and you can infer backwards what they are most likely doing.

This was enough for me to get the info I needed (which was partly barking up the wrong tree using TSynAutoComplete instead of TSynCompletionProposal which is what I really wanted.

Proper documentation would still be awesome, but my issue is now solved.

I hope this helps someone else!
Eivind Bakkestuen

Posted: May 20, 2016 4:52 PM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
Proper documentation would still be awesome, but my issue is now
solved.

It's open source. Just write some. ;)

--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
Eli M

Posted: May 22, 2016 7:24 AM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02