Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Windows 10 causes COM DLL to not load.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Mar 29, 2016 2:14 PM Last Post By: Ryan Shear
Ryan Shear

Windows 10 causes COM DLL to not load.
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 29, 2016 1:08 PM
I have a C# DLL (Registered for COM interlop) that we use to provide some extra functionality to a few of our customers. We have never had any problems with this dll in the past, and have been happy with things.

It was recently found that when we attempt to load the DLL with a Windows 10 machine the load fails. I've add strong type names to the DLL, registered, re-registered, added to Global Assembly Cache, built my primary executable with XE2 all the way through CX-Seattle, and tried every conceivable combination of listed items.

I can take my executable (from any XE2 through CX-Seattle) to a Windows 7 (or even 8.1) machine it works flawlessly (just have to register the DLL).

The main program is a VCL C++ 32bit application, it consists of a single executable, and other than the huge code base, isn't too fancy.

The return I get from my CreateInstance call is: -2147024882

I've been following this guide to help me setup both projects: http://edn.embarcadero.com/en/article/32754

Any help is greatly welcomed, I'm at a complete loss right now, and with Microsoft pushing hard to upgrade everybody to Windows 10 I need to figure this out before it becomes a serious issue.

Thanks,
Ryan
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: Windows 10 causes COM DLL to not load.
  Posted: Mar 29, 2016 1:28 PM   in response to: Ryan Shear in response to: Ryan Shear
Ryan wrote:

That error code is E_OUTOFMEMORY.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Ryan Shear

Re: Windows 10 causes COM DLL to not load.
  Posted: Mar 29, 2016 2:14 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Ryan wrote:

That error code is E_OUTOFMEMORY.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Windows 10 computer has 64 GB ram. According to Resource Monitor 6968 MB are reserved, 8068 MB in standby and 50069 MB is free. Second windows 10 computer has 32 GB ram, and similar specs for the memory usage. Window 7 computer has 8 GB, 2504 MB in use, 13877 MB Standby, and 0 MB free (!!??!!).

I've had the E_OUTOFMEMORY error with a different module, and had no resolution as it why it wouldn't load. I ended up incorporating the code into my main project. I don't have that luxury for this module though.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02