Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi XE2 problems after upgrade to Seattle

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Mar 8, 2016 9:43 AM Last Post By: quinn wildman
steve leonard

Delphi XE2 problems after upgrade to Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 5, 2016 5:24 PM
I recently installed Seattle on a Win10 machine and have had many problems with Interbase, and Delphi Xe2.
I have created cases for Interbase problems and Seaqttle problems, with a mention a Delphi XE2 problem which will probably be ignored because my coverage is for Seattle.

I will ask my XE2 questions here in the hope someone will know.

After the Seattle installation, Delphi XE2 no longer had any components at all...not even a TBUTTON. The installation of Seattle did not give any messages indicaqting that it will disable the older version (XE2). But I ask, is that a known scenario where installing Seattle breaks Delphi XE2?

This next question is absurd but I must ask it. I still do most of my work on a Win 7 machine. I used the Win10 machine as my backup system, and I decided to not put my Win7 environment at risk while I install Seattle. Today I discovered that on my Win 7 machine, for reasons unknown,the Component Ace tab with components for the Absolute Database is gone from XE2. No existing programs that use it compile as the class definitions are nowhere to be found. I have not installed anything recently on my Win7 machine, so I have to ask if this is related to all my components disappearing from XE2 on my Win10 with Seattle machine. I would laugh if someone else posted this, thinking to myself "comeon, man, it is a completely different machine...how can an installation on 1 machine affect another machines programs? But it happened and I am not laughing. I wonder if there is something like a "call - home " mechanism in Delphi XE2 so maybe in the process of checking for updates upon starting, it realizes that this version of Delphi has been updated to a newer version and for reasons unknown decided to uninstall some 3rd party components?

If I knew this was the case, I would not like it, but I would stop wasting time and do 100% of my work in Seattle and not use Delphi XE2...but
...there is a but...I have previously working programs that do not compile in Seattle, and it has nothing to do with components that are third party components. The program gets compile errors in the unit system.character...a unit I never included but must get referenced automatically by using another component. I have created a support case for this, so I will wait on them, but I mention this as part of my reason for wanting to keep Delphi XE2 around for times like this. FWIW, I get this same error in XE2 on my Win7 machine, so I don't know if the Seattle update on another machine somehow broke this or is it caused by something else.

I would have suspected malware, but I have anti-malware software on both machines.

Thanks for any insights you cna offer.
Steve
steve leonard

Re: Delphi XE2 problems after upgrade to Seattle  
  Posted: Jan 5, 2016 11:36 PM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:
I recently installed Seattle on a Win10 machine and have had many problems with Interbase, and Delphi Xe2.
I have created cases for Interbase problems and Seaqttle problems, with a mention a Delphi XE2 problem which will probably be ignored because my coverage is for Seattle.

I will ask my XE2 questions here in the hope someone will know.

After the Seattle installation, Delphi XE2 no longer had any components at all...not even a TBUTTON. The installation of Seattle did not give any messages indicaqting that it will disable the older version (XE2). But I ask, is that a known scenario where installing Seattle breaks Delphi XE2?

This next question is absurd but I must ask it. I still do most of my work on a Win 7 machine. I used the Win10 machine as my backup system, and I decided to not put my Win7 environment at risk while I install Seattle. Today I discovered that on my Win 7 machine, for reasons unknown,the Component Ace tab with components for the Absolute Database is gone from XE2. No existing programs that use it compile as the class definitions are nowhere to be found. I have not installed anything recently on my Win7 machine, so I have to ask if this is related to all my components disappearing from XE2 on my Win10 with Seattle machine. I would laugh if someone else posted this, thinking to myself "comeon, man, it is a completely different machine...how can an installation on 1 machine affect another machines programs? But it happened and I am not laughing. I wonder if there is something like a "call - home " mechanism in Delphi XE2 so maybe in the process of checking for updates upon starting, it realizes that this version of Delphi has been updated to a newer version and for reasons unknown decided to uninstall some 3rd party components?

If I knew this was the case, I would not like it, but I would stop wasting time and do 100% of my work in Seattle and not use Delphi XE2...but
...there is a but...I have previously working programs that do not compile in Seattle, and it has nothing to do with components that are third party components. The program gets compile errors in the unit system.character...a unit I never included but must get referenced automatically by using another component. I have created a support case for this, so I will wait on them, but I mention this as part of my reason for wanting to keep Delphi XE2 around for times like this. FWIW, I get this same error in XE2 on my Win7 machine, so I don't know if the Seattle update on another machine somehow broke this or is it caused by something else.

I would have suspected malware, but I have anti-malware software on both machines.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.
Steve

Reply to self 6 hours later

I downloaded and reinstalled Absolute Database and it was working fine. I created a new project and it ran fine. I just decided to look at the program one more time and opened the new project and the Component Ace components are not there. I get several class not found messages when I open the project, and all ABS components were missing from the form. The program was never powered down since I wrote the new program and I did not download anything else after Component Ace.
Is this a new type of malware or what?
steve leonard

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 7:19 PM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
Several uninstalls and reinstalls of ABS Database and it cleared up.
quinn wildman

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 9:43 AM   in response to: steve leonard in response to: steve leonard
steve leonard wrote:
Several uninstalls and reinstalls of ABS Database and it cleared up.

Is ABS InterBase or something else? If it is something else as it would
appear, why are you posting to the InterBase newsgroup?

--
I used to work for Embarcadero - I don't work there any more.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02