Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Datasnap or REST multi-tier server user authentication using ldap

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Feb 29, 2016 2:21 AM Last Post By: Alf Christopher... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Alf Christopher...

Datasnap or REST multi-tier server user authentication using ldap  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 28, 2016 10:41 AM
Am I right thinking it must be the client responsibility in a multi-tier system to authenticate user when a ldap-server is to be used for authenticaation in order to let the users log in using their usual credentials as University workers and the client sending the user name to the server in order to authorize what is allowed by the user to do on the page/client app?

Seems like letting the server do the authentication would be a break of security since the middle tier then has access to the password, which is not of interest.

Have tried to find some examples on net, but no resources/demos has turned up yet.

Hope some has some ideas about this
Pawel Glowacki

Re: Datasnap or REST multi-tier server user authentication using ldap  
  Posted: Feb 29, 2016 12:25 AM   in response to: Alf Christopher... in response to: Alf Christopher...
Alf Christophersen wrote:
Am I right thinking it must be the client responsibility in a multi-tier system to authenticate user when a ldap-server is to be used for authenticaation in order to let the users log in using their usual credentials as University workers and the client sending the user name to the server in order to authorize what is allowed by the user to do on the page/client app?

Seems like letting the server do the authentication would be a break of security since the middle tier then has access to the password, which is not of interest.

Have tried to find some examples on net, but no resources/demos has turned up yet.

Hope some has some ideas about this

Hi Alf,

In my thinking, it is the client app that is least trusted. There is nothing wrong in performing the authentication at the server, and in fact this is something that should be done anyway, regardless if there is authenication at the client or not. The server needs to be trusted. It knows how to access backend tiers and has all the logic.

Just my 5 cents.

best regards,
Paweł
Alf Christopher...

Re: Datasnap or REST multi-tier server user authentication using ldap  
  Posted: Feb 29, 2016 2:21 AM   in response to: Pawel Glowacki in response to: Pawel Glowacki
Another thing is thar most literature about implementing ldap is mostly through other platforms and languages.

But maybe /n software has some demo with purchased version? Problem is that in order to get budget money for that I must prove it works, making a catch-22 situation :-(

(Due to extremely tight funding regulation in academia)

So if any has examples on implementation, it would be wellcome.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02