Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: VCL to FireMonkey integration


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 10 - Last Post: Feb 25, 2016 11:23 AM Last Post By: Markus Humm
Michael Hackney

Posts: 28
Registered: 9/4/14
VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 23, 2016 6:16 AM
I've inherited a current VCL (Win32) client/server application that I'd like to augment with a mobile app. The mobile app will be essentially read-only, in that it only needs light database access... basically the ability to read less than 100 records. The current VCL application interfaces to an old BDE Paradox database.

Aside from the need to port the database to a different back-end, what is a good way to configure access to the current database records? Do I export the necessary data to a Cloud-based SQLite database, and create a FireMonkey app to query those Database records from the mobile app? Are there any guides or tutorials available to guide me on this?
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 23, 2016 10:15 AM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
Am 23.02.2016 um 15:16 schrieb Michael Hackney:
I've inherited a current VCL (Win32) client/server application that I'd like to augment with a mobile app. The mobile app will be essentially read-only, in that it only needs light database access... basically the ability to read less than 100 records. The current VCL application interfaces to an old BDE Paradox database.

Aside from the need to port the database to a different back-end, what is a good way to configure access to the current database records? Do I export the necessary data to a Cloud-based SQLite database, and create a FireMonkey app to query those Database records from the mobile app? Are there any guides or tutorials available to guide me on this?

Hello,

I don't know enough about your planned app yet, but if online DB access
is not required your proposal might be ok. If you need to be able to
query live data fropm the DB this of course doesn't work. In that case
some migration of the DB backend might be a goodn starting point as this
gives you better access to the DB from your mobile project as well.

Greetings

Markus
Michael Hackney

Posts: 28
Registered: 9/4/14
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 23, 2016 12:13 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 23.02.2016 um 15:16 schrieb Michael Hackney:
I've inherited a current VCL (Win32) client/server application that I'd like to augment with a mobile app. The mobile app will be essentially read-only, in that it only needs light database access... basically the ability to read less than 100 records. The current VCL application interfaces to an old BDE Paradox database.

Aside from the need to port the database to a different back-end, what is a good way to configure access to the current database records? Do I export the necessary data to a Cloud-based SQLite database, and create a FireMonkey app to query those Database records from the mobile app? Are there any guides or tutorials available to guide me on this?

Hello,

I don't know enough about your planned app yet, but if online DB access
is not required your proposal might be ok. If you need to be able to
query live data fropm the DB this of course doesn't work. In that case
some migration of the DB backend might be a goodn starting point as this
gives you better access to the DB from your mobile project as well.

Greetings

Markus

Hi Markus,

Phase 1 would not involve having to query live data, but it may involve the mobile app having the ability to query a subset of the live data that was pushed out to a small cloud-based database. So for example, let's say I have an Orders table in my Client/Server database and every day I push out just today's orders to the Cloud-based database. I'd like the mobile app to show users just today's orders. Does this sound feasible?
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 12:40 PM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
Am 23.02.2016 um 21:13 schrieb Michael Hackney:
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 23.02.2016 um 15:16 schrieb Michael Hackney:
I've inherited a current VCL (Win32) client/server application that I'd like to augment with a mobile app. The mobile app will be essentially read-only, in that it only needs light database access... basically the ability to read less than 100 records. The current VCL application interfaces to an old BDE Paradox database.

Aside from the need to port the database to a different back-end, what is a good way to configure access to the current database records? Do I export the necessary data to a Cloud-based SQLite database, and create a FireMonkey app to query those Database records from the mobile app? Are there any guides or tutorials available to guide me on this?

Hello,

I don't know enough about your planned app yet, but if online DB access
is not required your proposal might be ok. If you need to be able to
query live data fropm the DB this of course doesn't work. In that case
some migration of the DB backend might be a goodn starting point as this
gives you better access to the DB from your mobile project as well.

Greetings

Markus

Hi Markus,

Phase 1 would not involve having to query live data, but it may involve the mobile app having the ability to query a subset of the live data that was pushed out to a small cloud-based database. So for example, let's say I have an Orders table in my Client/Server database and every day I push out just today's orders to the Cloud-based database. I'd like the mobile app to show users just today's orders. Does this sound feasible?

Hello,

it depends on what kind of database you choose as not for all client
libraries might be available for mobile platforms.

Greetings

Markus
Michael Hackney

Posts: 28
Registered: 9/4/14
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 2:26 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 23.02.2016 um 21:13 schrieb Michael Hackney:
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 23.02.2016 um 15:16 schrieb Michael Hackney:
I've inherited a current VCL (Win32) client/server application that I'd like to augment with a mobile app. The mobile app will be essentially read-only, in that it only needs light database access... basically the ability to read less than 100 records. The current VCL application interfaces to an old BDE Paradox database.

Aside from the need to port the database to a different back-end, what is a good way to configure access to the current database records? Do I export the necessary data to a Cloud-based SQLite database, and create a FireMonkey app to query those Database records from the mobile app? Are there any guides or tutorials available to guide me on this?

Hello,

I don't know enough about your planned app yet, but if online DB access
is not required your proposal might be ok. If you need to be able to
query live data fropm the DB this of course doesn't work. In that case
some migration of the DB backend might be a goodn starting point as this
gives you better access to the DB from your mobile project as well.

Greetings

Markus

Hi Markus,

Phase 1 would not involve having to query live data, but it may involve the mobile app having the ability to query a subset of the live data that was pushed out to a small cloud-based database. So for example, let's say I have an Orders table in my Client/Server database and every day I push out just today's orders to the Cloud-based database. I'd like the mobile app to show users just today's orders. Does this sound feasible?

Hello,

it depends on what kind of database you choose as not for all client
libraries might be available for mobile platforms.

Greetings

Markus

Markus,

My thought is to use either SQLite or SQL Server.
Gilbert Padilla

Posts: 315
Registered: 3/8/04
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 6:54 PM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
My thought is to use either SQLite or SQL Server.

for 100 records just use a flat CSV file to download by your app and use a
memory table.
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 25, 2016 11:23 AM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
Am 24.02.2016 um 23:26 schrieb Michael Hackney:
Markus Humm wrote:

Hello,

it depends on what kind of database you choose as not for all client
libraries might be available for mobile platforms.

Greetings

Markus

Markus,

My thought is to use either SQLite or SQL Server.

Hello,

SQLite doesn't scale well for concurrent access and afaik for SQL Server
there's no Android client available.

Greetings

Markus
Eli M

Posts: 1,346
Registered: 11/9/13
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 6:57 AM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
Create a REST server endpoint. Query the data with TRESTClient from the mobile app.
Michael Hackney

Posts: 28
Registered: 9/4/14
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 2:23 PM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
Create a REST server endpoint. Query the data with TRESTClient from the mobile app.

Eli, Does it matter if I use a SQLite or MS SQL Server as the database in the Cloud?
Eli M

Posts: 1,346
Registered: 11/9/13
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 24, 2016 6:47 PM   in response to: Michael Hackney in response to: Michael Hackney
For 100 rows MSSQL is overkill. SQLite is free. You can always change it later since it's a server.
Michael Hackney

Posts: 28
Registered: 9/4/14
Re: VCL to FireMonkey integration  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 25, 2016 11:09 AM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
For 100 rows MSSQL is overkill. SQLite is free. You can always change it later since it's a server.

So if I elect to use SQLite, what are the advantages/disadvantages of creating a REST server endpoint and TRESTClient, vs just using a TSQLConnection control and a TSQLQuery control to query the database from the mobile app?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02