Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: EMSAccessNativeException

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Feb 18, 2016 2:17 AM Last Post By: Dmitry Arefiev
Barry Wood

EMSAccessNativeException  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 15, 2016 7:45 AM
I have an application that accesses an Access database. It works fine on my Development machine but on the clients machine I get above error message. More detail it says: 'General error Unable to open registry key Temporary (volatile) Ace DSN for process ....... Jet'

Any thoughts on why it should error would be appreciated. It seems whatever database I use (MS SQL MS Access...) access is fine on my machine, but rarely is it fine on a clients machine.

If this is simply a MS Access ODBC driver issue then OK.
Dmitry Arefiev

Re: EMSAccessNativeException  
  Posted: Feb 16, 2016 12:17 AM   in response to: Barry Wood in response to: Barry Wood
Barry Wood

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 1:45 AM   in response to: Barry Wood in response to: Barry Wood
Thanks for clues, Dmitry.

However, none of what are suggested seem to be relevant in this case. On the client machine I can open the Access database via MS Access with no problems. Also, I have the exact same XE5 application (connecting to exactly the same Access database) and the XE5 application opens up with no error messages. So whatever is wrong it is something to do with the differences between the Firedac in XE5 and the Firedac in Seattle (as I see it).

I had similar problems with an MS SQL database - i.e. connectivity worked fine via XE5 but in Seattle an error message was thrown. In that case it appeared the problem was a SQL driver (still not 100% convinced of this, though). So it does appear with every application I 'upgrade' to Seattle and use Firedac, I'm hitting errors. Is it therefore unreasonable to suspect the problem lies with Seattle/Firedac?

And all of these applications work fine on my development PC. Which implies something is missing from the clients PCs (hence my thought it was a driver issue).

Barry Wood wrote:
I have an application that accesses an Access database. It works fine on my Development machine but on the clients machine I get above error message. More detail it says: 'General error Unable to open registry key Temporary (volatile) Ace DSN for process ....... Jet'

Any thoughts on why it should error would be appreciated. It seems whatever database I use (MS SQL MS Access...) access is fine on my machine, but rarely is it fine on a clients machine.

If this is simply a MS Access ODBC driver issue then OK.
Barry Wood

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 2:05 AM   in response to: Barry Wood in response to: Barry Wood
So what I've e done is use the ODBC driver via the Firedac connection editor, rather than the MSAcc driver, and everything works fine.

No idea what is wrong with the MsAcc, driver nor have I the time to explore under the surface to figure out what isn't working and how to fix it, I have other stuff to do. Performance is OK using ODBS so I'm moving on. I'm just getting more disappointed that every project I upgrade from XE5 to Seattle is throwing up problems like this one that are causing delays not only to me supporting client projects, but to my clients as well as without exception the upgraded projects in Seattle work fine on my development system and rarely work on my clients machine.

I was hoping Seattle would provide better, faster and easier project development but sadly at the moment the opposite is the case (for me, anyway).
Dmitry Arefiev

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 2:17 AM   in response to: Barry Wood in response to: Barry Wood
However, none of what are suggested seem to be relevant in this case.

Ok. Then please provide environment reports for "good" (dev) and "bad" (client) connections.
Probably the difference is in ODBC drivers, which FireDAC MS Access driver uses in these cases.
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Seattle/en/DBMS_Environment_Reports_%28FireDAC%29

--
With best regards,
Dmitry
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02