Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: D10 / Win64 / Runtime packages: compiles ok but never starts


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Feb 3, 2016 10:16 PM Last Post By: Detlev Moehring
Detlev Möhring

Posts: 1
Registered: 10/29/15
D10 / Win64 / Runtime packages: compiles ok but never starts  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 2, 2016 11:35 PM
Hi, I am moving my apps from D7 to D10 and installed it on my Windows 10 / 64 bit Server. I buildt a package of my comonents; 32 bit degintime/runtime and 64 bit runtime only. Everything works ok up to now, but I want to build my app with runtime packages, so at the Moment I enable runtime packages the 32 bit Version works ok, but the 64 bit version compiles ok, but never starts?! No error, no warning, but it doesn't start at all?!

BTW: another ugly bug: changing the Environment between 32 and 64 bit will not Change the packages Options allthough I stored then individual. As I said: I select 32 bit, set it at runtime/designtime in the packages Options, select 64 bit, set runtime only, select 32 bit again and it remains runtime only and vice versa

I found some hints to strictly separate runtime and designtime packages, but I never found any documentation, how to do it step by step?!

Greetings
Detlev (from Germany, so my english may be funny at some Points ;)

EDIT: I tried to start the corresponding 64bit exe file by hand and get the error "Unable to start application (0xc00007b)" - perhaps this helps to find the error?!

Edited by: Detlev Möhring on Feb 3, 2016 2:23 AM
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: D10 / Win64 / Runtime packages: compiles ok but never starts [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 3, 2016 10:39 AM   in response to: Detlev Möhring in response to: Detlev Möhring
Detlev Möhring wrote:

Hi, I am moving my apps from D7 to D10 and installed it on my Windows
10 / 64 bit Server. I buildt a package of my comonents; 32 bit
degintime/runtime and 64 bit runtime only. Everything works ok up to
now, but I want to build my app with runtime packages, so at the
Moment I enable runtime packages the 32 bit Version works ok, but the
64 bit version compiles ok, but never starts?! No error, no warning,
but it doesn't start at all?!

BTW: another ugly bug: changing the Environment between 32 and 64 bit
will not Change the packages Options allthough I stored then
individual. As I said: I select 32 bit, set it at runtime/designtime
in the packages Options, select 64 bit, set runtime only, select 32
bit again and it remains runtime only and vice versa

I found some hints to strictly separate runtime and designtime
packages, but I never found any documentation, how to do it step by
step?!

I cannot help you with the 64bit problem directly, but can give you a
hint about the runtime/designtime separation:

Your component code and all support units the component(s) need at
run-time go into the run-time only package.

The design-time only package requires the run-time package and may boil
down to a single unit that only has the Register procedure in it that
calls RegisterComponents for your component(s). If you have any
component or property editors for your component they would also go
into the design-time package (and only in this package, not into the
run-time package) and be registered in the Register procedure together
with the component itself.

The run-time package must not reference any unit that comes from the
DesignIDE package, that package can only be in the "requires" clause of
a design-time package.


--
Peter Below
TeamB

Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: D10 / Win64 / Runtime packages: compiles ok but never starts [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 3, 2016 3:42 PM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter wrote:

The design-time only package requires the run-time package and may
boil down to a single unit that only has the Register procedure in it
that calls RegisterComponents for your component(s).

Also, if and only if you are not creating any design-time editors, then you
don't need a design-time package at all. RegisterComponents() is implemented
in the RTL's run-time package (in the Classes unit), not in a design-time
package, so it is safe to call in your run-time package, though it won't
have any effect at run-time, only at design-time. Only design-time editors
must be registered in a design-time package.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Detlev Moehring

Posts: 1
Registered: 6/25/04
Re: D10 / Win64 / Runtime packages: compiles ok but never starts [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 3, 2016 10:16 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Peter wrote:

The design-time only package requires the run-time package and may
boil down to a single unit that only has the Register procedure in it
that calls RegisterComponents for your component(s).

Also, if and only if you are not creating any design-time editors, then you
don't need a design-time package at all. RegisterComponents() is implemented
in the RTL's run-time package (in the Classes unit), not in a design-time
package, so it is safe to call in your run-time package, though it won't
have any effect at run-time, only at design-time. Only design-time editors
must be registered in a design-time package.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Uhh, thats interesting! I do not use any design-time editors, so I will give it a try ;)
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02