Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Hints missing in ide for components on designed form and in code when debug

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Jan 25, 2016 11:38 AM Last Post By: Martin Gibson
Martin Gibson

Hints missing in ide for components on designed form and in code when debug  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 23, 2016 11:57 AM
I have moved XE8 and DX Seattle to a new Windows 10 PC from a W& PC.

I can compile all the projects etc but no hints show for components and no hints show when the mouse cursor hovers over a variable in the source code which editing or debugging.

In Tools/Options,"Editor Options"/"Code Insight" the options "Code Completion", "Tooltip Help Insight", "Auto Parenthesis", "Error Insight", "Block Completion", "Code Template Completion", "Code Parameters", "Auto Complete", "Tooltip Expression Evaluation", and "Tooltip Symbol Insight" are all checked.

In Project Options, Delphi Compiler I have added to Unit Aliases
WinTypes=Windows;WinProcs=Windows;DbiTypes=BDE;DbiProcs=BDE;DbiErrs=BDE

because someone somewhere said doing that removed a similar problem. Likewise, I have ensured that in Tools, Options, SOurce Options, Editor Options I have "use syntax highlight" checked.

The problem is in both XE8 and DX Seattle but neither had this problem on the old PC (W7)

How do I get hints to appear?

EDIT: I see that hints are also absent for all icons in the toolbars except for the Emarcadero community toolbar.

Solution:
Closed firefox and hints appear everywhere that I expect them to. (I had already tried restarting Delphi XE8/10 Seattle several times and rebooting my PC. So I assume that some setting I changed did the trick but only when I closed Firefox. If I open Firefox again then the hints are still working.
I conclude that the problem is probably WIndows 10 related but I have no idea.

No, I have discovered the same problem with another app but this time I noticed that the problem only started after I maximized it. So I restored it and the hints returned. I tried the same in Delphi and sure enough, if I maximize it there are no hints for nearly everything, but if it is not maximized then the hints work fine. This applies to the debug layout and the default layout for me in W10. I think it is very likely this is a W10 problem.

Last night, 24th Jan 2016, I had a major update of Windows 10 and now hints work on all the apps even when they are maximized so this problem was posted at just the wrong time.

Edited by: Martin Gibson on Jan 25, 2016 11:35 AM
Martin Gibson

Re: Hints missing in ide for components on designed form and in code when debug  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 24, 2016 5:24 AM   in response to: Martin Gibson in response to: Martin Gibson
Appears to be caused by Firefox on this occasion. -- Close FF and problem gone.-- -- Open FF and problem still gone! -- Windows 10?

It might have been fixed by closing Ff but having the Delphi IDE maximized seems to be the way to stop the hints working.

(Getting the tags right is apparently beyond me on the first or even third attempt. Double hyphen seems to be turned off by a full stop? I have also tried every combination I can think of for headings but I've given up)

Edited by: Martin Gibson on Jan 24, 2016 5:50 AM

Edited by: Martin Gibson on Jan 24, 2016 5:53 AM
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02