Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi 10, IoT and Raspberry running Windows IoT core "10"

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Dec 9, 2015 10:46 AM Last Post By: Markus Humm
Henrik Haumann

Delphi 10, IoT and Raspberry running Windows IoT core "10"  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 8, 2015 8:11 AM
Hi Guys

I admit it, I have not spend much time researching on this topic, but quite I'm curious anyway, can Delphi 10 be used to build applications (within the limits of the W10 Core OS) and run them on a raspberry PI 2.

I anyone have an knowledge or links on this you would like to share - I'll be all ears :)
Robert Love

Re: Delphi 10, IoT and Raspberry running Windows IoT core "10"  
  Posted: Dec 8, 2015 8:28 AM   in response to: Henrik Haumann in response to: Henrik Haumann
Henrik Nedergaard wrote:
Hi Guys

I admit it, I have not spend much time researching on this topic, but quite I'm curious anyway, can Delphi 10 be used to build applications (within the limits of the W10 Core OS) and run them on a raspberry PI 2.

I anyone have an knowledge or links on this you would like to share - I'll be all ears :)

Currently no way to use Windows 10 with a Raspberry PI 2 and Delphi.

However you can run Android on a Raspberry PI 2 and that will run Delphi Applications
Arnaud Bouchez

Posted: Dec 8, 2015 9:54 AM   in response to: Henrik Haumann in response to: Henrik Haumann
Henrik Nedergaard wrote:

No, the Delphi Windows compiler has only two targets yet: x86 and x64.
Not ARM 7.

But AFAIK you can use FPC to compile for the Raspberry PI family, running Linux, Android or probably Windows 10.
Henrik Haumann

Posted: Dec 8, 2015 10:51 AM   in response to: Henrik Haumann in response to: Henrik Haumann
Henrik Nedergaard wrote:
Hi Guys

Appears as I have to wait another iteration or two of Delphi, before I can get to play around with the raspberry PI - Embarcadero talks about IoT and should have waited and completed this release instead of all these half baked versions.

Thanks guys anyway.
Robert Love

Posted: Dec 8, 2015 1:28 PM   in response to: Henrik Haumann in response to: Henrik Haumann
Appears as I have to wait another iteration or two of Delphi, before I can get to play around with the raspberry PI - Embarcadero talks about IoT and should have waited and completed this release instead of all these half baked versions.

Delphi is great at communicating with IoT devices. That is what they currently trying to market. It however is limited on what it can be used for when building IoT devices.

A Delphi app has a larger footprint than many of the embedded devices would ever be able to handle. The base RTL assumes that a file system exists, which may not be the case with a IoT Device. A Raspberry PI is actually an ARM based computer that can run a modern OS, so the possibility of support it is much higher. Where as some chipsets used with IoT never will have that functionality.

Also no statements have been made by Embarcadero on if they plan to support Windows IoT. If you need something now in this area you need to look at a different solution.
Arnaud Bouchez

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 2:40 AM   in response to: Robert Love in response to: Robert Love
Robert Love wrote:
Delphi is great at communicating with IoT devices. That is what they currently trying to market. It however is limited on what it can be used for when building IoT devices.

Indeed.
https://www.embarcadero.com/solutions/internet-of-things is very nicely designed...
I feel good when marketing tries to show how Delphi could be a solution for latest trendy flavors.
It may help change mentalities.

A Delphi app has a larger footprint than many of the embedded devices would ever be able to handle. The base RTL assumes that a file system exists, which may not be the case with a IoT Device. A Raspberry PI is actually an ARM based computer that can run a modern OS, so the possibility of support it is much higher. Where as some chipsets used with IoT never will have that functionality.

You are right: the Delphi compiler does not target IoT devices - and I would not call a "Google Glass" as a "Thing", since it is a full computer, with its own OS.

On the other hand, FPC is just great about this.
You could even compile without any file system nor OS, for a small PIC with a few KB of RAM!
This is IoT at firmware level.

Even on the server side, I doubt that Embarcadero server solutions (like DataSnap or EMS) has the performance required for a lot of concurrent clients.
But with the upcoming Linux support, and some Open Source projects like our http://blog.synopse.info/post/2015/10/23/Letters-of-Hope. I'm currently working on a cloud of mORMot servers, serving content coming from high numbers of connected objects. And it rocks!
I guess Delphi could be very good for the server side of IoT.
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: Delphi 10, IoT and Raspberry running Windows IoT core "10" [Edit]  
  Posted: Dec 9, 2015 9:25 AM   in response to: Arnaud Bouchez in response to: Arnaud Bouchez
Arnaud wrote:

You are right: the Delphi compiler does not target IoT devices -
and I would not call a "Google Glass" as a "Thing", since it is a
full computer, with its own OS.

Delphi can create apps that run on Google Glass:

Create a Google Glass app with RAD Studio or Delphi
http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/43604

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Arnaud Bouchez

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 10:21 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

Yes I know. This was on my linked page.
But my point was that a Google Glass has a full android computer embedded.
This is a nice piece of hardware, but a Google Glass is an end-user device, just like a smartphone or a tablet.

What "Internet of Things" covers is something else.
It is a mesh of connected objects, which do collect and exchange data.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects or "things" embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and exchange data.[1] The Internet of Things allows objects to be sensed and controlled remotely across existing network infrastructure,[2] creating opportunities for more direct integration between the physical world and computer-based systems, and resulting in improved efficiency, accuracy and economic benefit.[3][4][5][6][7][8] Each thing is uniquely identifiable through its embedded computing system but is able to interoperate within the existing Internet infrastructure. Experts estimate that the IoT will consist of almost 50 billion objects by 2020.[9]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things
Markus Humm

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 10:46 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Am 09.12.2015 um 18:25 schrieb Remy Lebeau (TeamB):
Arnaud wrote:

You are right: the Delphi compiler does not target IoT devices -
and I would not call a "Google Glass" as a "Thing", since it is a
full computer, with its own OS.

Create a Google Glass app with RAD Studio or Delphi
http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/43604

I guess he referred to exactly that, but he classifies Glass not as IoT,
as it runs a full OS and can install user added apps.

Greetings

Markus
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02