Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: No code folding in Seattle?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Last Post: Jun 22, 2017 1:25 AM Last Post By: Oliver Weinheimer
Greg Reese

No code folding in Seattle?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 13, 2015 11:16 AM
Hi folks,

I'm running Builder Seattle in Windows 10. In Tools->Options->Editor options, "Code folding" is checked. However, the little gutter boxes with + and - that let you fold and unfold sections of code are not present. In addition, if I right click in the editor I can select "Fold" or "Unfold" but all of the subitems in both of these menu items are grayed out. How can I get code folding to run?

Thanks.
Greg Reese
Martin van der ...

Re: No code folding in Seattle?  
  Posted: Nov 16, 2015 12:37 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Greg Reese wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm running Builder Seattle in Windows 10. In Tools->Options->Editor options, "Code folding" is checked. However, the little gutter boxes with + and - that let you fold and unfold sections of code are not present. In addition, if I right click in the editor I can select "Fold" or "Unfold" but all of the subitems in both of these menu items are grayed out. How can I get code folding to run?

Thanks.
Greg Reese

Does your file have an unusual extension? Code folding should be available in Seattle, maybe it doesn't recognize your file as a C++ file?
Or perhaps it's confused by some of your code and just gives up? Have you checked other source files?
Greg Reese

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 3:19 PM   in response to: Martin van der ... in response to: Martin van der ...
Does your file have an unusual extension? Code folding should be available in Seattle, maybe it doesn't recognize your file as a C++ file?
Or perhaps it's confused by some of your code and just gives up? Have you checked other source files?

Hi Martin,
The file extension is .cpp . I loaded other cpp files and still no folding. I just checked in the registry and the editor options are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Embarcadero > BDS > 17.0 > Editor > Options . They appear to all be there except for code folding! I searched the entire registry with regedit's Find but didn't see it anywhere. If you have Seattle, could you check your registry for code folding?
Thanks.
Greg Reese
Martin van der ...

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 12:34 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
{quote:title=Greg Reese wrote:}
Hi Martin,
The file extension is .cpp . I loaded other cpp files and still no folding. I just checked in the registry and the editor options are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Embarcadero > BDS > 17.0 > Editor > Options . They appear to all be there except for code folding! I searched the entire registry with regedit's Find but didn't see it anywhere. If you have Seattle, could you check your registry for code folding?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

The registry key for code folding is apparently named "Enable Elisions".
Does the left margin change size if you enable or disable it? Maybe it's something silly like being invisible because of the same foreground and background color.
Martin Stratmann

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 1:33 AM   in response to: Martin van der ... in response to: Martin van der ...
Martin van der Plas wrote:
{quote:title=Greg Reese wrote:}
Hi Martin,
Thanks.
Greg Reese

The registry key for code folding is apparently named "Enable Elisions".
Does the left margin change size if you enable or disable it? Maybe it's something silly like being invisible because of the same foreground and background color.

Hi Martin,

I have the same problem. I don't think, that's a visual problem because the right-click context menu disable all code folding option. Any Idee?

Thanks,
Martin, too
Martin Stratmann

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 4:01 AM   in response to: Martin van der ... in response to: Martin van der ...
Am 16.11.2015 um 09:37 schrieb Martin van der Plas:
Greg Reese wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks.
Greg Reese

Hi Martin,

I have the same problem. I don't think, that's a visual problem because
the right-click context menu disable all code folding option. Any Idee?

Thanks,
Martin, too
Palle Meinert

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 3:32 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Greg Reese wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks.
Greg Reese

Which edition? looking at the feature matrix, code folding does appear to part of the Starter edition
Greg Reese

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 11:35 AM   in response to: Palle Meinert in response to: Palle Meinert
Which edition? looking at the feature matrix, code folding does appear to part of the Starter edition

I have the Pro edition. I just installed Seattle update 1 and now the code folding is working!
Greg Reese
Greg Reese

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 11:36 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Had to install update 1 to get code folding to work.
Robert Loblaw

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 10:50 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Greg Reese wrote:
Had to install update 1 to get code folding to work.

I had the same problem happen overnight. I had already installed Subscription Update 1 and everything was working normally. However, Windows 10 did some updates last night (Dec 9/10 2015) and 'Code Folding' became disabled.

Under Tools|Options|Editor Options, 'Code Folding' is checked. Right-clicking within the code shows the Fold and Unfold options all disabled (grayed out).

System: Windows 10 Pro (installed Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 [KB3122947]), C++Builder 10 Seattle Subscription Update 1

Any ideas on getting it back (other than a reinstall of Update 1)?
Greg Reese

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 11:14 AM   in response to: Robert Loblaw in response to: Robert Loblaw
Any ideas on getting it back (other than a reinstall of Update 1)?

Sorry Robert, I never found a solution other than installing Update 1. I haven't had any problems with code folding since then so I stopped looking, as I actually have real work to do! Maybe someone else will hit on something.
Greg Reese
Jean-Francois R...

Posted: Jan 6, 2016 10:32 AM   in response to: Robert Loblaw in response to: Robert Loblaw
I'm using C++Builder XE5 and it happened the same thing to me. Since the Win10 update my Fold and Unfold right click menu items are all disabled!

Why is that, can Microsoft broke something in Embarcadero with a system update?

Jeff
Ben Ambrose

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 7:11 PM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Code Folding uses JSharp. WIN 10 Updates will make changes to the 32bit files for JSharp.
Laurent Le Carrer

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 5:25 AM   in response to: Greg Reese in response to: Greg Reese
Greg Reese wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks.
Greg Reese

I had the same problem so I uninstall JSharp 32bits redist from microsoft
then I install the JSharp 64 bits redist
and now code fildins WORKS
Oliver Weinheimer

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 12:59 AM   in response to: Laurent Le Carrer in response to: Laurent Le Carrer
I had the same problem so I uninstall JSharp 32bits redist from microsoft
then I install the JSharp 64 bits redist
and now code fildins WORKS

I have still problems with code folding.
In a new project it seems to work - but if I open larger projects the + - boxes are missing in some files - sometimes they just disappear after a while.
An uninstall and reinstall of JSharp did not change anything.
I am on Win10 / Tokyo / 64bit C++ VCL projects - it is annoying/frustrating Code Folding does not work, Code Insight does not work, ...
If I have a cpp file inside a project where code folding does not work, I can close the project and reopen the single cpp file (without project) and code folding works.
It depends somehow from the surrounding project.
But a Bug report will end in: Can not reproduce -> Resolved -> Fixed
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02