Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi XE5 installation on Windows 10 - Does this product even work on Wind

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Oct 24, 2015 10:27 AM Last Post By: Brian Hamilton ... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Frank Yingst

Delphi XE5 installation on Windows 10 - Does this product even work on Wind  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 18, 2015 9:05 PM
XE5 doesn't seem to understand paths. Does this product work on Windows 10? This product is less than 2 years old and is already obsolete. And no I cannot pay another $865 to upgrade either.

Here is something I tried:
program Project1;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

{$R *.res}

uses
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\12.0\source\rtl\sys\System.SysUtils; // this doesn't work -- can I do something like this since XE5 cannot find its system variables?

begin
try

Edited by: Frank Yingst on Oct 18, 2015 9:07 PM
Borja Serrano

Re: Delphi XE5 installation on Windows 10 - Does this product even work on Wind
Helpful
  Posted: Oct 19, 2015 6:08 AM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
I would try to launch the IDE with the option "-rtest" as explained here: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42597

I think that there is a problem in your configuration that should be solved that way.

If you really want to add an absolute path you will need to use:

uses
System.SysUtils in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0\source\rtl\sys\System.SysUtils.pas';
Frank Yingst

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 8:40 AM   in response to: Borja Serrano in response to: Borja Serrano
Borja Serrano wrote:
I would try to launch the IDE with the option "-rtest" as explained here: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42597

I think that there is a problem in your configuration that should be solved that way.

uses
System.SysUtils in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0\source\rtl\sys\System.SysUtils.pas';
Thanks. I will be getting back to this later today. I seem to remember I need to manually copy some missing files from an update they put out.
Frank Yingst

Does XE5 run on Windows 10?  
  Posted: Oct 21, 2015 10:00 PM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
That link doesn't work. I deleted the product and installed update 2. Still the product is useless. So, back to my original question, does this even work on Windows 10?

If not I will be wanting a refund of the $865 I wasted on this. I've sent a message to the Delphi sales dept. I will see what they say about this.

Frank Yingst wrote:
Borja Serrano wrote:

uses
Thanks. I will be getting back to this later today. I seem to remember I need to manually copy some missing files from an update they put out.

Edited by: Frank Yingst on Oct 21, 2015 10:05 PM

Edited by: Frank Yingst on Oct 21, 2015 10:05 PM
Carl-Henrik Nil...

Re: Does XE5 run on Windows 10?  
  Posted: Oct 22, 2015 1:52 AM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
Frank Yingst wrote:
That link doesn't work. I deleted the product and installed update 2. Still the product is useless. So, back to my original question, does this even work on Windows 10?

FYI, that link works here, and so does XE5 on Win10, and I don't know what the cause of your problem is.
--
C-H
quinn wildman

Re: Does XE5 run on Windows 10? [Edit]  
  Posted: Oct 22, 2015 7:59 AM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
Note that while we expect XE5 will work on with Windows 10, we have
never promised it will work. We have not and will not be testing XE5
with Windows 10. If you want a product we have tested with Windows 10
you should upgrade to the current version, Delphi 10 Seattle.

Note that our support site has had some problems this week, and I have
seen them this morning. However, I have gotten the link Borja provided
to work this morning to work. I do believe it will resolve your problem.

Frank Yingst wrote:

If not I will be wanting a refund of the $865 I wasted on this. I've sent a message to the Delphi sales dept. I will see what they say about this.
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 10:26 PM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
if you were on Software Assurance, which is recommended, then it costs much less to stay up to date with the latest compiler version
Tom Brunberg

Re: Delphi XE5 installation on Windows 10 - Does this product even work on Wind [Edit]
Correct
  Posted: Oct 22, 2015 6:40 AM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
Frank Yingst wrote:

XE5 doesn't seem to understand paths.

Sure it does. Why do you think it doesn't?

Does this product work on Windows 10?

Yes.

This product is less
than 2 years old and is already obsolete.

How so? I'm still using it for a project I did not upgrade.

And no I cannot pay another $865 to upgrade either.

Then don't.

Here is something I tried:
program Project1;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

{$R *.res}

uses
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\12.0\source\rtl\sys\System.SysUtils; // this
doesn't work -- can I do something like this since XE5 cannot find its system variables?

Why on earth would you want to? The installation sets up correct paths to ready compiled units.
Don't try to compile the RTL your self.

--
Tom Brunberg
firstname.lastname@welho.com

Frank Yingst

Re: Delphi XE5 installation on Windows 10 - Does this product even work on Wind [Edit]  
  Posted: Oct 23, 2015 4:52 PM   in response to: Tom Brunberg in response to: Tom Brunberg
Everything works fine now. The cause of it all? Somehow I moved bds.exe to the desktop instead of a shortcut. Yea, that doesn't work so good.
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Oct 24, 2015 10:27 AM   in response to: Frank Yingst in response to: Frank Yingst
Frank Yingst wrote:
Everything works fine now. The cause of it all? Somehow I moved bds.exe to the desktop instead of a shortcut. Yea, that doesn't work so good.

that sort of move would never work well for most programs, which usually do a check on execute from location to set paths
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02