Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Embarcadero RAD Studio Freezes when editing code

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Nov 6, 2015 4:37 PM Last Post By: Nigel Thomas
Russell Phelps

Embarcadero RAD Studio Freezes when editing code  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 16, 2015 9:21 AM
I've had this issue for some time now but the problem is when i'm trying to edit code (in a very large project) it seems to freeze up every few minutes then after a while to will come back and allow me to continue editing.

I've been tracking the process in the task manager and when it is frozen the memory is climbing up. I thought it might be a process to do with the intellisense but i believe i disabled this and i still had the issue occur.

I've read through the forums and people appear to point towards an issue with logging memory leaks? I'm looking just for some general things to try out in the IDE settings to see if it helps improve things as currently i'm finding it so difficult to work.
Russell Phelps

Re: Embarcadero RAD Studio Freezes when editing code  
  Posted: Oct 20, 2015 1:36 AM   in response to: Russell Phelps in response to: Russell Phelps
Russell Phelps wrote:
I've had this issue for some time now but the problem is when i'm trying to edit code (in a very large project) it seems to freeze up every few minutes then after a while to will come back and allow me to continue editing.

I've been tracking the process in the task manager and when it is frozen the memory is climbing up. I thought it might be a process to do with the intellisense but i believe i disabled this and i still had the issue occur.

I've read through the forums and people appear to point towards an issue with logging memory leaks? I'm looking just for some general things to try out in the IDE settings to see if it helps improve things as currently i'm finding it so difficult to work.

Just found this thread:

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=115956&tstart=30

I'm going to try checking the library paths to make sure none reference source files as suggested. I'm also going to try turning off modelling support and see if that has any effect
Russell Phelps

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 1:19 AM   in response to: Russell Phelps in response to: Russell Phelps
I couldn't see exactly where to turn off "Modelling Support" but I looked in the project file to see any references and all I had was this:

<ModelSupport>False</ModelSupport>

So i'm guessing that's not interferring. I've just gone through all my library paths to check that they don't reference any source files (even the 3rd Party components like TMS) and if they did i moved all compiled units into a sub-folder which i'm now referencing. Unfortunately it still doesn't look like any improvement.

My next step is to try looking for circular references as mentioned here:

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=116724&tstart=75
wenjie zhou

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 1:26 AM   in response to: Russell Phelps in response to: Russell Phelps
Russell Phelps wrote:

Close code completion and have a try.
Russell Phelps

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 6:11 AM   in response to: wenjie zhou in response to: wenjie zhou
wenjie zhou wrote:
Russell Phelps wrote:

Close code completion and have a try.

Hi Wenjie,

I have turned this off via Tools -> Options -> Code Insight and unchecking Code Completion. I have been trialling this at work for the past few days and it has had a positive impact but only by reducing the amount of time it freezes for. Previously when freezing it would rack up to 1GB of memory before clearing down and the app becoming usable again. It is now only going up to about 500 MB before clearing down.
Nigel Thomas

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 4:37 PM   in response to: Russell Phelps in response to: Russell Phelps
Russell Phelps wrote:

Are you using Windows 10? If so, I've experienced a similar problem, and tonight I found out why. My issue was being triggered every time my background slideshow image changed. Changing the background to use a static picture fixed it. But then I realised it wasn't really the slideshow causing the problem, but the Windows UI colour changes. I reset the background slideshow to work as before, changing every 10 mins, but I then went to Settings | Personalisation | Colours and turned off "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background".

--
Nigel
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02