Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi Seattle first impressions lead to a quick decision not to upgrade

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 3:26 AM Last Post By: Brent Rose
Colton Morrison

Delphi Seattle first impressions lead to a quick decision not to upgrade
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 16, 2015 10:31 AM
I downloaded the trial version of Delphi 10/Seattle to see whether it might be worth upgrading to. I decided to open a D2010 project and see how D10/S would handle it. The first thing that I noticed different in the IDE from D2010 was the structural highlighting of my code. Nice idea, I thought, but that was before I pressed CTRL+D, which of course reformats my code. The result was a mess. Not the reformatting of my code, but rather the structural highlighting lines were a mess. The lines were now all jumbled and out of sync with the code. This motivated me to find a way to turn this feature off, which I found, in the Editor Properties. This however, led to my discovery of a second bug.

When using the Editor Properties dialog to toggle on/off the structural highlighting option, I noticed that the IDE fails to refresh/update itself. As a result, you still have structural highlighting lines in your code when you close the dialog and return to the IDE. The only way to get rid of the structural highlighting lines after turning this feature off is to press PG UP, then PG DN, forcing the page to be redrawn.

All this I run into in the first 5 minutes after installing the demo. It goes without saying that I am very turned off from spending $500+ for a buggy upgrade. If Embarcadero can't even get something so visible like this correct on their first shot, then what else might be broken under the hood that I can't see? I might consider being more tolerant if I was assured that a bug fix was around the corner, but now that I have to pay for bug fixes, I'm planning to uninstall Seattle and stick with what I've been using.

CM
Brian Hamilton ...

Re: Delphi Seattle first impressions lead to a quick decision not to upgrade
  Posted: Sep 16, 2015 12:49 PM   in response to: Colton Morrison in response to: Colton Morrison
I would consider that I minor inconvenience

for me, Delphi Seattle is better than XE6, and I have moved my projects from that IDE now
(windows and OSX and mobile projects)
happy camper here
Brent Rose

Re: Delphi Seattle first impressions lead to a quick decision not to upgrade
  Posted: Sep 21, 2015 3:26 AM   in response to: Colton Morrison in response to: Colton Morrison
Thought I'd look at the Seattle trial too. Within a few minutes of writing some trial code, I found that the code-completion hints no longer work as they did before.

eg As soon as I type "MyObject.AMethod(", I should automatically get a pop-up hint describing the methods parameters - but it no longer happens in D10. Seems it only works if you type "MyObject" followed by a dot to bring up the available method list for MyObject, then you can select AMethod and get the pop-up hint automatically from there... Otherwise you need to press Ctrl-Shift-Space to "manually" get the parameter list hint. It's not until this small feature is gone that you realise how you take it for granted...

...So I tend to agree with Colton that such little issues "put a dampener on the Seattle experience". However, even if you can look on them as "inconveniences", the frustrating part is definitely the fact that you must pay such a high price for a maintenance subscription just to <MAYBE> get a fix for such obvious bugs. Put the other way, you need to gamble that there <MIGHT> be something useful for you in "Update 1" <IF> there is going to be such an update anyway, and accept your bug might not even be addressed in the next major release! If you do refrain from paying for the maintenance subscription, I wonder if you can purchase one later (if a relevant bug is fixed)? Maybe a standard modest fee for a major update would be far simpler and fairer!

re The code-formatting capabilities you mention: I was looking forward to using this feature until I found out the hard way what a mess it can make of wrapping code lines! Also frustrating that the "code standards" adopted by Embarcadero with respect to begin/end indenting in case statements is internally inconsistent (ie works as they intended for case statements, but is not consistent with behaviour everywhere else!!). Unfortunate that it is so close to being useful, but falls short... or maybe it has been improved?? (wishful thinking)

Colton Morrison wrote:
I downloaded the trial version of Delphi 10/Seattle to see whether it might be worth upgrading to. I decided to open a D2010 project and see how D10/S would handle it. The first thing that I noticed different in the IDE from D2010 was the structural highlighting of my code. Nice idea, I thought, but that was before I pressed CTRL+D, which of course reformats my code. The result was a mess. Not the reformatting of my code, but rather the structural highlighting lines were a mess. The lines were now all jumbled and out of sync with the code. This motivated me to find a way to turn this feature off, which I found, in the Editor Properties. This however, led to my discovery of a second bug.

When using the Editor Properties dialog to toggle on/off the structural highlighting option, I noticed that the IDE fails to refresh/update itself. As a result, you still have structural highlighting lines in your code when you close the dialog and return to the IDE. The only way to get rid of the structural highlighting lines after turning this feature off is to press PG UP, then PG DN, forcing the page to be redrawn.

All this I run into in the first 5 minutes after installing the demo. It goes without saying that I am very turned off from spending $500+ for a buggy upgrade. If Embarcadero can't even get something so visible like this correct on their first shot, then what else might be broken under the hood that I can't see? I might consider being more tolerant if I was assured that a bug fix was around the corner, but now that I have to pay for bug fixes, I'm planning to uninstall Seattle and stick with what I've been using.

CM
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02